AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Controversy about Nymphet/Kodomo no Jikan

Domo Army Victim Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-10-2010 03:42 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Controversy about Nymphet/Kodomo no Jikan

Recently there is a manga series licensed by Seven Seas Entertainment that has drawn a good deal of controversy to itself. The controversy has been enough that the company has decided not to release it in America. The manga series in question is titled Nymphet in America, and Kodomo no Jikan in Japanese. The premise is, simply, a young girl (3rd grade age) trying to become romantically involved with her school teacher, who, needless to say, is quite worried by this.

The question is sort of two fold:
    1. Do you, as an anime fan and person in general, find this material to be offensive, to the point where you think it should not be released?

and 2. do you find the genre of lolicon in anime/manga to be wrong on any level?

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I've heard about this...
    1. I don't think it's all that bad. It's just a little girl crushing on a teacher...it happens in real life, why not a manga? I didn't see this occuring with Negima(Asuna being underaged and having a crush on that middle-aged guy). I haven't heard anything about any sort of adult material in it, so I don't see what the problem is.

2. Depends on the series. Some series use lolis as cute little girls to lure in viewers (see: Lucky Star, He is My Master, Negima). But of course you have the far end of the spectrum, which contains lolicon in more...adult manners. As far as I'm concerned, that's the same line as pedophilia, which, needless to say, is wrong.

Also, news from Seven Seas.
    Last edited by Gjallarhorn; 05-30-2007 at 10:05 AM.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Domo Army Victim Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo is a splendid one to behold Shinigami Ichigo's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I read a few chapters of this manga a while back, and I just thought it was kind of funny, nothing too objectionable (pretty sure there is not any nudity or anything like that). People just like to be outraged after reading descriptions, not checking it out for themselves.

There are (technically) underage girls in pretty much every anime, such as Negima and such, but people don't get outraged by that, which kind of confuses me at times.

The Rocker Witch Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares has a reputation beyond repute Antares's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2008 12:51 PM
    Threads

1. For this particular story, no, I don't think it's offensive. The plot is about a girl that is trying to seduce her teacher and he's not reciprocating the feeling; as far as I know, there's no nudity or anything of the sort there.

2. Like Xero said, it depends on the series. I can watch a comedy or a drama/romanc with this type of situation and be ok. If things get to the hentai side, then no, that's wrong.
    The Member Formerly Known as ~*Haru*~

[ This is my World, and you can't Join it ]
    ×Inhumane and Beautiful×

You're a 90's kid when...
    You know that, before SpongeBob, the Snorkels inhabited the bottom of the Sea.

[~Set done by Megami~]

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I tend to think that the controversy came about in large part because they chose this particular title. I think if it had been released under the original title 'Kodomo no Jikan' then it wouldn't be as bad.

Also, I feel that it should not just be dropped altogether, just make sure that the appropriate audience can get a hold of it. I mean, just like anything else, if you are offended by something, just don't purchase it. It is definitely good to make sure that minors are not reading something controversial, but you should allow well informed adults to make that decision for themselves.

boopaloop! Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated's Avatar
    Gil
    Doubtful
    Gifts Xmas Tree Toast Present
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-06-2010 11:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The appropriate audience? If you mean putting in the manga section with the tag on the side saying, "These books may contain adult material. Parental/Reader descretion advised.", then it won't do a whole world of good. I could walk into a bookstore now, pick up several mangas with heavy fanservice inbetween the covers and pay freely. In my experience, bookstores don't care so much about age when it comes to mangas as they would about... say... The Illustrated Kama Sutra.

Also, darn. This series looked interesting.

All my Let's Plays can be found here!
    Currently LPing: Rome Total War:
    Latest Update:
    Chapter 3: The Last King of Carthage.
    Start from the beginning:
    Chapter 1: Sicily Unified.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Most people I've seen talking about this controversy, be it in forums, blogs, or IRC, seem to have the same general opinion as us, and I have seen several times (as Shinigami Ichigo said), that the title they chose may have had a lot to do with it, seeing as the word "nymphet" has sexual denotation and connotation to it. Ideally, if the original title had been kept, a lot of this controversy may not have occurred.

And I agree Op...my local book store actual does carry the illustrated Kama Sutra, and despite it saying that its for 18+, it's available on the shelf for anyone to look at...and yet they have the Ghost in the Shell manga bound in plastic to prevent anyone from opening it.

I too think the series looks good, and I could probably get a few good laughs out of it.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Senior Member ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-14-2024 08:26 PM
    Threads

Well, considering the controversy of teacher/student relationships the past few years, I can understand the concern.

I don't get the title change. Couldn't they just use the translation of the original title meaning "Children's time" or "Time of Children" or whatever? Then again, it could be misleading and the alternate title, as mentioned, does have sexual emphasis to it.

1. Like I said, teacher-student relationships have been a problem in American society for awhile now. But regardless of the existence of this material, it happens anyway. But usually the situation is a jr. high student and a teacher. Not an elementary student and teacher. But, how much of the population is a manga fan? How many of these student-teacher relationships were manga fans?

2. I've seen worse, so I don't think it's necessarily wrong.

And I agree Op...my local book store actual does carry the illustrated Kama Sutra, and despite it saying that its for 18+, it's available on the shelf for anyone to look at...and yet they have the Ghost in the Shell manga bound in plastic to prevent anyone from opening it.
    Same here, they also seal up battle royale and berserk.
    Check out my anime reviews at: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/users/hajimenojmo[/URL] and http://blog.honeyfeed.fm/

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Well, if an inappropriate audience is receiving questionable material, then that is the fault of the parents and the store management, not the people producing said material.

I think it is kind of hypocritical of Seven Seas, so license something under a title that will undoubtedly draw controversy, then not stick to their guns. They should have either licensed it under a different title, had a shrink-wrap or something placed on the individual books, or something like that.

Closed Thread

Thread Information