AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Censored anime.. even on DVDs?

Junior Member murlocke is on a distinguished road murlocke's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-14-2007 07:07 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Censored anime.. even on DVDs?

So i've been hearing alot about how USA released DVDs are censored with some animes.

I find it sickening that I would pay money for something that is censored.

I have no problem buying DVDs to support anime but when they release censored DVDs, i'm going fansubs.

I've googled a bunch, but can't find anything. Is there a list or something of anime that is censored on DVD releases in america.

Thanks.

Member kinnikumask has a spectacular aura about kinnikumask has a spectacular aura about kinnikumask has a spectacular aura about kinnikumask's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-03-2007 03:14 AM
    Threads

never happend to me but in one episode of grenadier there was a camel logo that would pop up over the girls sometimes but it was a fansub on youtube so i don't know about the dvds.
    KINNIKU otaku

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Sorry for the very late bump, computer problems so I couldn't check this until now.

Basically i'm wonder if the newer anime that gets released in american is censored in anyway, (I watch the subtitled versions on the DVDS)

Or are the DVDs uncut and uncensored, and the show is only censored on TV broadcast?

I'm curious if anyone knows any DVDs that are infact censored? Or do they not do this anymore? I know DBZ was censored back in the day then they finally released a uncut version, and I hear naruto is (Is it on the DVDS?)

I've heard that most japanese companys will not allow american companys to censor the anime on the DVDs, is this true?

Thanks.
    Last edited by murlocke; 06-11-2007 at 06:16 AM.

Senior Member mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-15-2008 08:51 AM
    Threads

i doubt they censure animes that are for teenagers an up, couse like in gantz they have the uncensored version eventho the first season in japan was censored away two whole episodes when it first came out hehe, but as for naruto i think they made one censored version that was only dub on dvd, then a litttel later they released another uncensored verson of naruto that was jap with subs on dvd. but i cant say for sure they dont censor animes, but as far as iv experienced they dont

-d-
    MR PANTSU FOR PRESIDENT!!
    Mr Pantsu's has watched list
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/MrPantsu

Senior Member ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-14-2024 08:26 PM
    Threads

So far there are no bi-langual un-edited DVDs of One Piece. Which is totally lame.
    Check out my anime reviews at: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/users/hajimenojmo[/URL] and http://blog.honeyfeed.fm/

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by ParaParaJMo View Post
    So far there are no bi-langual un-edited DVDs of One Piece. Which is totally lame.
    What i'm figuring out is:
    1) Only toonami stuff gets censored DVDS, and then released unedited DVDS later, and expects people to re-buy them.
    2) no japanese audio /w subtitles, then the video is censored as well as the audio.

Everything else seems uncesnored.

If I bought a anime DVD and it didn't have the original japanese audio I would send it back to tell you the truth. I cannot STAND dubs.
    Last edited by murlocke; 06-12-2007 at 02:58 PM.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by ParaParaJMo View Post
    4kids dropped it's licensed a few months ago, and FUNimation picked it up. They will be releasing box sets of 13 episodes 2-3 times per year, unedited (though they are still keeping Zoro's name as Zolo...)

Anyway, you have to remember that Japanese standards and laws are different than ours, and some things that are socially acceptable in Japan may not be here. For instance, a 14 year old girl in Japan having a relationship with an older man wouldn't fly here in the U.S., so they'd have to change it to 16 or 18. Really, it's just semantics. Of course, not all companies do this.

For the most part, DVDs remain uncensored, though as you mentioned with DBZ, they were in the past.

Once the American companies get the license, they are free to censor it however they like. This could be, for example, targeting the series toward a different age group. One Piece, for example, was targeted toward a wide audience in Japan (children, teenagers, and young adults), but when 4kids licensed it, they marketed it strictly toward children, approximately around the ages of 11 and 12, though younger as well. So, companies will sometimes censor and edit a series as part of it's marketing.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Member kinnikumask has a spectacular aura about kinnikumask has a spectacular aura about kinnikumask has a spectacular aura about kinnikumask's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-03-2007 03:14 AM
    Threads

i can understand changing a girls age to make her older thats ok because it does not change the story to much but 4kids killed one piece with the story cuts and bad puns. and thats all i have to say about that.
    KINNIKU otaku

Senior Member Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2008 12:29 AM
    Threads

It would seem that many of the series that do become censored are mainly Shonen Jump titles, such as Naruto, One Piece, DBZ, etc. I really like the fact that so many unedited DVD's are finally starting to be released.
    Fight cruelty with kindness and hatred with love. If you can do that, you are undefeatable.

I want to take off your blindfolds you have grown so accustomed to to show you the people who love you and the good world you seek have been with you the whole time.

10/31/07 Koshiro discovers that making blogs are fun. ^_^

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

I know that the Sailor Moon S series has never been dubbed uncensored. When I watch it Haruka and Michiru are still cousines. But as soon as I turn on the Subtitles they are lovers. XD Imagine that.

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

Member Relic has a reputation beyond repute Relic has a reputation beyond repute Relic has a reputation beyond repute Relic has a reputation beyond repute Relic has a reputation beyond repute Relic has a reputation beyond repute Relic has a reputation beyond repute Relic has a reputation beyond repute Relic has a reputation beyond repute Relic has a reputation beyond repute Relic has a reputation beyond repute Relic's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-23-2008 03:19 AM
    Threads

Well really the main problem is that most American retailers do not want to put the uncensored anime on shelves since they see them as cartoons and do not think that inappropriate cartoons will sell well.

Though there are some retailers such as comic book shops and specialty collectible shops will tend to carry better uncensored anime dubbed in English or if you are lucky duel language tracked ^^

Closed Thread

Thread Information