AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Internet Sales Tax

Delegate of Darkness Death Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Death Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Death Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Death Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Death Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Death Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Death Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Death Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Death Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Death Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Death Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Death Warrior's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-28-2007 11:11 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Internet Sales Tax

Do you think it is a good idea to start an internet sales tax?

Please explain your answer and give reasons to support it.

Myself Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2008 12:30 PM
    Threads

No, because the Internet is not governed by one country. There is no state government to enforce a sales tax.

However, Internet goods still have sales tax applied to them, depending on which state you live in.

Animepedia.com -- Part of the Anime Globe network.
    Come share your wealth of anime knowledge with the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Jack of Blades~ View Post
    Because evaporation is a ninja ...so you can't see it =o
    You know it's true.

You leave a glass of water, turn your back and WH-WH-WH-WH-WHAM! You've got 5 shurikens in your back.

LOVE glue gunnin Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-17-2010 12:46 PM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: EWW THE WEE

As in a tax FOR purchasing off the internet, and not the item itself? Because virtually everything you buy off the internet holds the same tax rate it would if you purchased it in person.

As for paying tax for purchasing off the internet, that's a whole can of worms in itself. For instance, where would the tax go? Would it go to your ISP, or to the makers of what you're purchasing? It's the makers item(s), but it's your ISP that provides you the ability to purchase said item on the internet to begin with. There's a lot more to consider here. Outside of that, there's really no one the tax would go to, anyway.
    Last edited by Kristen; 03-28-2007 at 11:21 AM.

i won't tell you that i love you
    K I S S OR H U G YOU
    cuz i'm bluffin with my muffin
    i'm not lyin', i'm just stunnin with my
    LOVE glue gunnin
    can't read my POKER FACE

Myself Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ritsuka Aoyagi View Post
    As for paying tax for purchasing off the internet, that's a whole can of worms in itself. For instance, where would the tax go? Would it go to your ISP, or to the makers of what you're purchasing? It's the makers item(s), but it's your ISP that provides you the ability to purchase said item on the internet to begin with. There's a lot more to consider here. Outside of that, there's really no one the tax would go to, anyway.
    Generally, Sales tax goes to the state government, or sometimes a county government even. I would assume that if this nonsensical idea ever became a reality, it would have to go to the federal government.

As for collecting it, that would be like it is today. The merchant collects it, and passes it on to the government.

You know it's true.

You leave a glass of water, turn your back and WH-WH-WH-WH-WHAM! You've got 5 shurikens in your back.

LOVE glue gunnin Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen has a reputation beyond repute Kristen's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Regex View Post
    Generally, Sales tax goes to the state government, or sometimes a county government even. I would assume that if this nonsensical idea ever became a reality, it would have to go to the federal government.

As for collecting it, that would be like it is today. The merchant collects it, and passes it on to the government.
    Why is it that it would have to go to the federal government, rather than the state or ISP? I know why in regular instances it goes to state/federal, but I'm confused as to why on this particular one.

K I S S OR H U G YOU
    LOVE glue gunnin
    can't read my POKER FACE

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

It couldn't go to state, because the Internet doesn't reside in any one state. It doesn't even reside in any one country.

You know it's true.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Exactly, so why would it go to federal?

K I S S OR H U G YOU
    LOVE glue gunnin
    can't read my POKER FACE

Matsu-Matsu-San Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2008 11:53 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Regex View Post
    No, because the Internet is not governed by one country. There is no state government to enforce a sales tax.

However, Internet goods still have sales tax applied to them, depending on which state you live in.
    that about sums it up lol

~*Inspired by Skyla_G*~

[Justin Wong]: Im the Greatest Street Fighter player in the world!!!
    [Rival Deigo]: Street fighter is over-rated...Just like spelling!

Closed Thread

Thread Information