AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Understanding Manga

Member Gnosis is on a distinguished road Gnosis's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-11-2009 07:55 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Understanding Manga

I have recently started reading my first Manga - Angel Sanctuary. I am enjoying it immensely, yet I am struggling to understand everything that is going on. I find it very hard to keep track of what is going on in the Manga style. On one page someone is in location A and then on the next page he or she is in location B. I am left confused at what has transpired. It is difficult as well to tell who is saying what and in what order. Is there any sort of trick to better understanding Manga more clearly, or is it something which simply comes in time?
    Любовь в тебе и во тне как опиум.

Senior Member shinobi dog is a name known to all shinobi dog is a name known to all shinobi dog is a name known to all shinobi dog is a name known to all shinobi dog is a name known to all shinobi dog is a name known to all shinobi dog's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-27-2007 07:59 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: im a shinobi

If you are true ninja you would copy "i support the ninja"into your sig and help conquer the internet.

Senior Member 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-29-2007 01:27 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 6870343953149706

It's just one of those things that comes over time... and some authors are just kinda hard to read because they love to put dialogue in panels without characters and you have to deduce who said it... in those cases it usually gets easier the more of that particular author/series you've read as you can usually figure out who is speaking by looking at what is being said.

As far as strange changes in position it helps to look at the scenes a couple of times to figure out what is going on (especially with action scenes)... I would agree that some action scenes can be very hard to follow because you are only seeing small snippets of it but if you look back over it a couple of times you can usually fill in the gaps.

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

Youre probably reading it backwards. As Shinobi posted, the manga format is backwards from what we're used to. They write from right to left, and we write left to write. So, you just need to read it the way the japanese wrote it

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

Senior Member Toastie has much to be proud of Toastie has much to be proud of Toastie has much to be proud of Toastie has much to be proud of Toastie has much to be proud of Toastie has much to be proud of Toastie has much to be proud of Toastie has much to be proud of Toastie's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-09-2007 02:09 AM
    Threads

Well I've had years of experiance with comics, but reading Right to Left is hard to get used to. All I can say is take a little bit more time to study the artwork more closley; as some authors use 'unspeeched' words as thoughts; and keep an eye out for the tails of speech bubbles. Some can be really small.

I suppose looking for who the speech bubbles are close to aswell often helps, but it's not always the case.

Thanks Nespa for this lovely sig!!!

Senior Member Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-12-2007 02:37 AM
    Live? You wanna know where I live!? Stalker!
    Threads

At first when I started reading manga, it was a little confusing as I was new. Sometimes I read the wrong box and move onto the one I was meant to read first. It proberly like that with everyone, it was for my brother too.

It is just something to get used to as we read left to right and the Japanese do it right to left. Just like what MaruDashi said.
    Bleach
    Naruto

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Thank you for all the help. I appreciate it.

They write from right to left, and we write left to write. So, you just need to read it the way the Japanese wrote it
    I suspected this because (as I am learning Japanese) the Traditional writing style is top to bottom -- left to right.

Senior Member shinobi dog is a name known to all shinobi dog is a name known to all shinobi dog is a name known to all shinobi dog is a name known to all shinobi dog is a name known to all shinobi dog is a name known to all shinobi dog's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-27-2007 07:59 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: im a shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Gnosis View Post
    Thank you for all the help. I appreciate it.

I suspected this because (as I am learning Japanese) the Traditional writing style is top to bottom -- left to right.
    our one is left to right and Japanese is right to left

If you are true ninja you would copy "i support the ninja"into your sig and help conquer the internet.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

our one is left to right and Japanese is right to left
    Oh, my mistake.

Senior Member Kaisuke7 has a reputation beyond repute Kaisuke7 has a reputation beyond repute Kaisuke7 has a reputation beyond repute Kaisuke7 has a reputation beyond repute Kaisuke7 has a reputation beyond repute Kaisuke7 has a reputation beyond repute Kaisuke7 has a reputation beyond repute Kaisuke7 has a reputation beyond repute Kaisuke7 has a reputation beyond repute Kaisuke7 has a reputation beyond repute Kaisuke7 has a reputation beyond repute Kaisuke7's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-17-2010 11:39 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: wish I had one_-

Yo the way I do it is write the scipt out on like ur pc or paper the do a rufe sketch of what the character might be doing as they say the words and the draw it all out.Note( u must do this with every page)

here's an old piece of my manga but I had the story line down

Last edited by Kaisuke7; 04-14-2007 at 12:00 PM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information