AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: NovaStar was Bored, and so Wrote an Article! XD

Hybrid View

I luv Irish+mac n'cheez NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-29-2009 02:25 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: No Wii

Default NovaStar was Bored, and so Wrote an Article! XD

Hi There, Okay, so I thought about this for a while and by no means is this gospel, this is just what I did to get into Anime when I was just starting out.

I really hope my writing this, will give people some advice, the following is just opinion and is no way fact.

The Beginner’s Guide To Anime Collecting

By NovaStar

So you’ve wanted to collect Anime but the thoughts of the money running through your mind are on a rampage, by now you’ve probably been thinking quite a few things as they run through your mind how to get started.

That being said, I’m here to help and not too long ago, I was completely in your shoes and I didn’t know what to do or where to begin so hopefully by the time I finish typing this article, the newbie’s of the forum will have somewhat of a guide to go on(or at least this is what I do when purchasing anime)

Number one, when you look at this guide their will be something that’s very apparent to you, this is a guide on how to purchase anime LEGALLY, this is not a download essay by any means, I will also touch on Bootlegs here and why I think they hurt the industry, hopefully when I finish you will hopefully have learned something and the prospect of buying the big scary series will not be so frightening to you.

First of all, you have a route to chose, think of it as a highway, you have the offline highway or the online highway, why I call them this is both lead down different directions.

let us start off with the Offline Highway If you travel down this road, you have one advantage, you do not have to order online, for people who haven’t, this is usually the safest way of doing things, however though you might be getting a small fix on your newfound Anime cravings, however you should know that while the Anime there is readily available to you, it may not be the cheapest route.

I personally am a pessimist on many things, as a matter of fact a year and a half ago, I had constant arguments with my family about ordering online, fact is the information superhighway is a very scary place.

however there are advantages to it, as is their shopping offline. I’ll break these down in point form.

Offline 1: Offline allows you to meet with the people in person you do not have any worries to what product you are getting, it is there and you can buy it.

2: The Place you are getting your stuff from is probably very close to you, so you will probably prefer it over somewhere else(For Example, I myself have a Music World about 10 minutes away) which sells Anime DVD’s such as Akira, Full Metal Alchemist and Dragon Ball Z.

Now, I bet you’re wondering, that’s really cool, I can dig that I can go and I can get my favorite DVD’s at a local place, and don’t have to worry about a thing, now me being of old school set mind, I am writing this with inaccurate information offline, because I’m basing my opinion only on what we have where I live(which is very small)

I personally order online, I always have ever since I’ve been able to, but ordering online you have to watch yourself very carefully as there are many things known as Bootlegs which are out there to scam you.

Bootlegs are Taiwanese Imports of Anime which have been produced at a very cheap rate and sold extremely cheaply in order to make a quick profit., now I will tell you what I’ve noticed about Bootlegs.

1: Bootlegs Almost ALWAYS are in 3 DVD Sets: For example: One common Bootleg is the Cowboy Bebop TV Series which has 20 some odd episodes, In a regular set, you will see this series broadcast over 6 to 7 DVD’s (In General) In a Taiwanese release or Bootleg they are spread over 3 to 4 DVD’s depending on the series(or are done in part-formed box sets which are never official unless on an official Anime retailer’s website.

2: These DVD’s will always be “All Code Region Free” or “Region 0” which means they will play in any DVD player around the world, this is done so that they can be sold with ease around the world without any problems

3: These DVD’s will always be masked as “Import” This is not true, these are bootlegs Bootleg Anime DVD’s are usually from Taiwan anddon’t go through any quality control what so ever. But enough about the Bootleg talk there’s more to read, if you are TRULY interested in finding more about Bootlegs.

http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html

Moving on: There are plenty of Online Stores which I have seen, one I personally like to use and have constantly used (So it gets my seal of approval) is Robert’s Anime Corner Store) (Due to Advertising Laws on the forums, I can not post the site Address however if you look it up on Google you’ll find it. But enough of talking about where to get it, let’s talk money.

The biggest problem I see with most Anime Fans or rather, people whom want to get into Anime, is the constant problem of Money, for those of you of which is the case, I recommend you follow what I call my good collection guide. However before I do that I will talk about the Advantages to buying online

1: Has QUITE a bit more of a selection: If you order online you can be sure you’re selecting from a huge list of Anime from A To Z

2: Usually the Prices on Anime online are considerably cheaper than those you’d find in the store Anime specialty retailers have connections in the industry which allow them to sell Items at a cheaper price.

Are you still not convinced? Do you still believe you do not have enough money? Then I think I can help

Number One: As of 2007 there are MANY box Sets Available for Cheap, A box set is exactly what it says it is, it contains a full series, in a collectors box which is completely legal and official.

Now depending on the series will depend on the price ADV Films has released many of their series for cheap in what are called Thin Packs, if you lack money, these are your best place to start, as they usually range from about $30.00 to about 68.00(this is the average, however they can be more or less)

Bandai has also come with what they call the Anime Legends Sets which are classic shows which they release in what I like to call a Book-Pack which is a Simple Book like opening with all of the DVD’s Inside

Common examples of the ADV Thin Packs which are out now include D.N Angel Noir and Angelic Layer

Examples of the Anime Legends Sets Include Gundam Wing .Hack Sign and Saber Marionette J and J To X

Also, there are several rules I like to follow when Purchasing Anime, this is just me, however I stick to my Golden Three Rules

1: If it is not currently in a Box Set, I will not buy The Series usually when an anime is fresh off the market or just got processed for release, it will be brought out in singles(These cost about 23.99 Each) Box sets, when they are released, will cost a lot less in the long run than they normally would on a regular series which has just been released

2: If I am unsure of a series, I will research it first The last thing you want to do, is spend your hard earned money on an Anime series which you know nothing about and then don’t like the series

3: If The Series Costs Over 100.00 In Box Set I will not buy it: Usually I try to limit my purchase of One Item to 80.00 and thus far I’ve been successful The only time I ever purchase an item

Special Rule: If a Series Comes in Two Parts and you are buying them at the same time Bypass Rule Three.

IE: If There are 4 parts to the box set, and they total 25.00 each, and total in all 100.00 I will buy the series as I consider them 4 separate box sets but that’s just me

Disclaimer: This Article was Written in hopes to Help people get into Anime. This isn’t meant to be gospel, this is just how I got into collecting and what I do.

Notice: If this breaks The Rules in ANY Way, I apologize, I tried not to advertise, the only thing I did was post the link to the Pirate FAQ

If there are any comments, or questions you may PM me at ANY Time, This Article is not meant to be gospel

Only to help

I hope you enjoyed reading it.

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

lol Yes I always go with boxsets. Buying Azumanga Daioh in 6 DVDs was horrible. *cries over empty wallet* But, I think worth it for all the extras. =3 Especially in the case of Chrno Crusade.
    Last edited by Capernicus; 03-18-2007 at 02:16 AM.

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

Senior Member sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Ariel Fox Snowman
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-15-2019 01:15 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: pppascal

Wow you really had a lot of time!~ ^^;

But this is great... *reps*

Kaoru loves you ♥ iMud has a reputation beyond repute iMud has a reputation beyond repute iMud has a reputation beyond repute iMud has a reputation beyond repute iMud has a reputation beyond repute iMud has a reputation beyond repute iMud has a reputation beyond repute iMud has a reputation beyond repute iMud has a reputation beyond repute iMud has a reputation beyond repute iMud has a reputation beyond repute iMud's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-11-2008 01:05 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: U R s0 b0r!ng

Aw. Thanks for taking your time to write that article. Oh, and I am worried about my money but you made me feel much more relaxed now, lol! XD It's true that buying online is most of the time cheaper than the stores.
    ----------
    [Daughty|Fafnir|Faffy|iMud|iSi|Koko|KoKoBear|Kokolo ve|Kokolay|Kokonaut|Kokosterious|Money|Monmon|Musi c Buddeh]
    ----------
    ----------
    Credit goes to Mac for(indirectly) encouraging me to do graphic designing again. You're the best. <3
    ----------

For I am not the one Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-29-2010 10:44 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by kokono View Post
    Aw. Thanks for taking your time to write that article. Oh, and I am worried about my money but you made me feel much more relaxed now, lol! XD It's true that buying online is most of the time cheaper than the stores.

Yes i agree with kokono ,Thank you soo much for writing this

Viva la Touhou !!!!! CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-25-2022 10:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: SabotageDaemon

Im a fan of almost every genre of anime from schoolyard romance to bloody heavy robot fighting....and yes the more *cough* adult stuff. So choosing isnt that difficult, just which one to get first.
    Money does bug me, but I save a percent of my paycheck and when I feel I have enough I go to a mall and go into an anime induced coma...waking up with a full bag in my hand. *drools* Also if theres a sale online (my place is Rightstuf) and its got a series Im looking to complete, I go for it when I have the money and moment to place the order. Hoping of course I make it in time and there not out of stock.
    Sometimes Ill preview it on a free video website. Theyre usually subbed and Im more of a dub person but I get over it quickly.
    As for the bootlegs, that surprises me because I have seen some that look the way that you discribed. I assumed it was a condensed version of a Japanesse import with rough translation. That sux too because I really want these series too, either sub or dub, but owning a bootleg might get me in trouble.

Senior Member mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch has a reputation beyond repute mythroch's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-23-2008 03:18 AM
    Threads

all praises to the mighty nova star. my sentiments exactly, ithink i've commented on dowloading and bootlegging a couple of times now. Anime is WORTH the money it costs. if you dont agree, find a diffrent hobby. you list pretty much the way i operate when i'm buying DVD's Box sets are great because they help the resale value later on. if thires a time your ever willing to part with your preciouse anime.
    working on this system i'm managed to collect over eighty sets in the last three years on a uni students allowance.
    remember people, life is good and anime is better. there's a special place in hell for all who steal anime.

Yaoi Extremist sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2007 09:11 PM
    In a magical place where yaoi reigns supreme
    Threads

Oh my gawd...I would never have the attention span nor patience to write this ever! -gives rep-

But it's so true going online you can get so many good deals. Thanks for the helpful info. ^ ^
    Made by Fast as Fire
    I <3 You!

Senior Member Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity has a reputation beyond repute Chazity's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-12-2007 02:37 AM
    Live? You wanna know where I live!? Stalker!
    Threads

Wow, that's really good. I personally have never ordered online, I don't have the guts too. My parents do though, they try to order as much as they can. And they are careful, they always check.

There was this one time when my Dad did ordered me a box set of a programme (Not Anime) as a surprise for me and when it arrived, it had two dvds the same. My Dad was not happy, but luckly he got his money back.
    Bleach
    Naruto

I luv Irish+mac n'cheez NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Chazity View Post
    Wow, that's really good. I personally have never ordered online, I don't have the guts too. My parents do though, they try to order as much as they can. And they are careful, they always check.

There was this one time when my Dad did ordered me a box set of a programme (Not Anime) as a surprise for me and when it arrived, it had two dvds the same. My Dad was not happy, but luckly he got his money back.
    I'm glad you found my article to be helpful, Ordering online isn't nessicarily as scary as you think. If you do want to order Anime, I highly recomend you PM me, I can recomend you where to go.

Nova.
    If Anyone has a question about the Anime Industry, be it "What to buy?" Or my opinion on a certain topic. Feel Free to IM Me.

Note: Please make it ledgible and readable before you send it(No Chatspeak please)

Note: Any Questions on "Where can I get things for free" or Piracy issues: Will be met with a Fist of an Angry God(Ignored)

Senior Member Toastie has much to be proud of Toastie has much to be proud of Toastie has much to be proud of Toastie has much to be proud of Toastie has much to be proud of Toastie has much to be proud of Toastie has much to be proud of Toastie has much to be proud of Toastie's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-09-2007 02:09 AM
    Threads

Wow, (getting reps) . Even though I'm a little bit past that stage, just finding a site thats gotten good feedback is invaluable as I now don't have to make a 20 minute journey to the town centre. It's amazing what you can achieve when your bored!

Thanks Nespa for this lovely sig!!!

Senior Member Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2008 12:29 AM
    Threads

Boxsets are an excellent alternative to buying single DVD's. Although I have noticed that in many of ADV Film's boxsets they tend to leave off all of the extra features, which I personally enjoy. Usually if I can I get all of the single DVD's and buy the collector's box.

With that aside, excellent guide, hopefully this will encourage people to purchase more DVD's (VHS anyone?)

Gil
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Koshiro View Post
    Boxsets are an excellent alternative to buying single DVD's. Although I have noticed that in many of ADV Film's boxsets they tend to leave off all of the extra features, which I personally enjoy. Usually if I can I get all of the single DVD's and buy the collector's box.

With that aside, excellent guide, hopefully this will encourage people to purchase more DVD's (VHS anyone?)

The Extra's are Nice, but for me it's all about the series, and a Thinpack does the job just fine for me. and with me on a tight Budget schedual? It's absolutely perfect.
    If Anyone has a question about the Anime Industry, be it "What to buy?" Or my opinion on a certain topic. Feel Free to IM Me.

Note: Please make it ledgible and readable before you send it(No Chatspeak please)

Note: Any Questions on "Where can I get things for free" or Piracy issues: Will be met with a Fist of an Angry God(Ignored)

Senior Member Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Systems Xbox 360 American Flag Ribbon AK47
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2016 03:29 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Light Buster PSN ID: Lightbuster88

Well that's a good start to make an article but you should post it here:http://www.animeforum.com/vbarticles.php
    WARNING: This user is wanted for unauthorized access into Ultratech archives. If you see this user in person, please contact Ultratech immediately.

Gil
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hecticmaniac View Post
    Well that's a good start to make an article but you should post it here:http://www.animeforum.com/vbarticles.php
    You are Incorrect: Kaitou Ace and the others are excellent reviewers, I am not up to par with them, therefore, my articles are amaturish, so I will post them here, in order to get a response from the community.

Closed Thread

Thread Information