AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: McLuhan's "Media is the Message" w/ respect to Anime/Manga

Senior Member 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物 has a reputation beyond repute 氷の動物's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-29-2007 01:27 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 6870343953149706

Default McLuhan's "Media is the Message" w/ respect to Anime/Manga

After taking a Sociology class (which was focused mainly on how technology had changed society) I walked away with a new outlook on how technology and media has affected society. One of the topics we covered in the class was Marshall McLuhan's philosophy that the "media is the message."

Well first off I guess it would be a good idea to outline the social idea behind Marshall McLuhan's "Media is the message" philosophy. From Wikipedia: "McLuhan's theory was that a medium affects the society in which it plays a role not by the content delivered over the medium, but by the characteristics of the medium itself." Basically it matters how the media is consumed, such as reading a book is a very different process from watching a movie. McLuhan also suggested the media could be broken into two major categories: "hot" or "high definition" intensifying one single sense such as a movie which focuses heavily on visual senses, and "cool" or "low definition" media which has less focus on one single sense and instead requires many senses in order to be comprehended such as a comic.

With that in mind I was wondering whether you feel that either anime, manga, or both could be considered to have their own unique way of delivering content which affects the society in which they are consumed? Such as do you feel that the art style or the way in which anime and manga are created and consumed (without thinking about the plot within the actual work) have a message that people see, or are meant to see, or perhaps effect the people who consume them?

I guess I'll throw my opinion out there and say that I do feel in some ways that anime and manga both deliver messages through the way they are consumed with respect to their style. Many anime and manga feature artwork that is not all that true to life (i.e. big eyes, dotted noses, incorrect proportions and alignment) and I think that some of the draw of the medium comes from there in the fact that it forces the consumer to feel an initial distancing from the characters as they don't appear visually the same as humans and then the artist draws the consumer back through the story contained within, demonstrating that given human characteristics any type of character can be perceived as a human. So I guess you could say that one message contained within the mediums of anime and manga is that when an object (irrelevant of appearance) is given human characteristics it can be perceived as a human.

So what do you think... would you say that anime and manga have unique properties as mediums that have messages which have nothing to do with the actual plot or characters contained within them?

(P.S. Here is more info on Marshall McLuhan in case you’re interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mcluhan )

Senior Member sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Ariel Fox Snowman
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-15-2019 01:15 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: pppascal

Hmmm... yes I believe that sometimes anime is used as a medium. I can't think of any clear examples right now, but when I do, I will update this post.

Closed Thread

Thread Information