AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: The girl who'll remain a child forever . . . Creepy news story

Senior Member WhatIsAUserName has much to be proud of WhatIsAUserName has much to be proud of WhatIsAUserName has much to be proud of WhatIsAUserName has much to be proud of WhatIsAUserName has much to be proud of WhatIsAUserName has much to be proud of WhatIsAUserName has much to be proud of WhatIsAUserName has much to be proud of WhatIsAUserName's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-29-2007 02:20 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default The girl who'll remain a child forever . . . Creepy news story

Her name is Ashley X, and she is the little girl who will never grow up.

Until New Year's Day, not even her first name was known. Ashley was a faceless case study, cited in a paper by two doctors at Seattle Children's Hospital as they outlined a treatment so radical that it brought with it allegations of "eugenics", of creating a 21st-century Frankenstein's monster, of maiming a child for the sake of convenience.

The reason for the controversy is this: Three years ago, when Ashley began to display early signs of puberty, her parents instructed doctors to remove her uterus, appendix and still-forming breasts, then treat her with high doses of estrogen to stunt her growth.

In other words, Ashley was sterilized and frozen in time, for ever to remain a child. She was only 6 years old.

Ashley, the daughter of two professionals in the Seattle area, never had much hope of a normal life.

Afflicted with a severe brain impairment known as static encephalopathy, she cannot walk, talk, keep her head up in bed, or even swallow food. Her parents argued that "keeping her small" was the best way to improve the quality of her life, not to make life more convenient for them.

By remaining a child, they say, Ashley will have a better chance of avoiding everything from bed sores to pneumonia — and the removal of her uterus means that she will never have a menstrual cycle or risk developing uterine cancer.

Because Ashley was expected to have a large chest size, her parents say that removing her breast buds, including the milk glands (while keeping the nipples intact), will save her further discomfort while avoiding fibrocystic growth and breast cancer.

They also feared that large breasts could put Ashley at risk of sexual assault.

The case was approved by the hospital's ethics committee in 2004, which agreed that because Ashley could never reproduce voluntarily, she was not being subjected to forced sterilization, a form of racial cleansing promoted in the 1920s and known as eugenics (it was satirized in F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel "The Great Gatsby").

However, the case of Ashley X was not made public, and, as a result, no legal challenges were ever made.

Ashley's doctors, Daniel Gunther and Douglas Diekema, wrote in their paper for the October issue of the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine that the treatment would "remove one of the major obstacles to family care and might extend the time that parents with the ability, resources and inclination to care for their child at home might be able to do so."

The paper inspired hundreds of postings on the Internet: many supportive, some disapproving but sympathetic, others furious.

"I find this offensive if not perverse," read one. "Truly a milestone in our convenience-minded society."

It was the critical comments that finally provoked Ashley's father to respond.

While remaining anonymous, he posted a remarkable 9,000-word blog entry at 11 p.m. on New Year's Day, justifying his decision.

The posting includes links to photographs of Ashley, in which the faces of other family members, including Ashley's younger sister and brother, have been blanked out.

"Some question how God might view this treatment," he wrote. "The God we know wants Ashley to have a good quality of life and wants her parents to be diligent about using every resource at their disposal (including the brains that He endowed them with) to maximize her quality of life."

Ashley's father went on to describe how her height is now expected to remain at about 4 feet 5 inches, and her weight at 75 pounds.

Without the treatment, she would have grown into a woman of average height and weight, probably about 5 feet 6 inches and 125 pounds, with a normal lifespan.

The medical profession is divided.

"I think most people, when they hear of this, would say this is just plain wrong," wrote Jeffrey Brosco of the University of Miami, in an editorial. "But it is a complicated story ... you can understand the difficulties. [But] high-dose estrogen therapy to prevent out-of-home placement simply creates a new Sophie's Choice for parents to confront.

"If we as a society want to revise the nature of the harrowing predicament that these parents face, then more funds for home-based services, not more medication, is what is called for."

George Dvorsky, a director of the Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies, countered: "If the concern has something to do with the girl's dignity being violated, then I have to protest by arguing that the girl lacks the cognitive capacity to experience any sense of indignity.

"The estrogen treatment is not what is grotesque here. Rather, it is the prospect of having a full-grown and fertile woman endowed with the mind of a baby."
    http: //www.foxnews.com /story /0,2933,241279,00.html

Totally strange: A girl who has been surgically modified so that she'll never truly grow up. Not so much if this is the place for discussion as it is wonder. But you have to note this isn't an ordinary child- she's severely mentally handicapped. But it's kind of scary thinking about things like this.

BTW, do you people out there mind if I post articles here like this? Cause I could easily stop if that helps most people out there.

EDIT: What the heck am I supposed to do with links?
    Last edited by WhatIsAUserName; 01-18-2007 at 01:26 AM.

Heartless Angel Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost has a reputation beyond repute Alice Lost's Avatar
    Gil
    Cloud_9
    Gifts Cake Heart Katana
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-10-2024 01:42 PM
    Threads

The posted link will not go to well with the administrator.

If that happened to me, I would have killed myself long ago.
    I can only post one day a week. ...Phooey.

Senior Member Demonstaff is a jewel in the rough Demonstaff is a jewel in the rough Demonstaff is a jewel in the rough Demonstaff's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-14-2007 07:14 AM
    Threads

Wow, that really takes overprotective and psychopathic parenting to a truely monstrous level. They've seriously ruined that girls life and see it as protecting her. *shakes head*

"And when he goes to heaven,
    To Saint Peter he will tell,
    'One more soldier reporting sir,
    I've served my time in hell' "

Addicted to Capernicus! Sailor Lunar Eclipse has a reputation beyond repute Sailor Lunar Eclipse has a reputation beyond repute Sailor Lunar Eclipse has a reputation beyond repute Sailor Lunar Eclipse has a reputation beyond repute Sailor Lunar Eclipse has a reputation beyond repute Sailor Lunar Eclipse has a reputation beyond repute Sailor Lunar Eclipse has a reputation beyond repute Sailor Lunar Eclipse has a reputation beyond repute Sailor Lunar Eclipse has a reputation beyond repute Sailor Lunar Eclipse has a reputation beyond repute Sailor Lunar Eclipse has a reputation beyond repute Sailor Lunar Eclipse's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-22-2007 05:56 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Lost View Post
    The posted link will not go to well with the administrator.
    Why not? Isn't it just stating the source of the article?

Well I just find that sick. Enough said.

Senior Member Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-02-2008 11:44 AM
    Threads

It's really difficult to judge by that article alone. Static encephalopathy simply means she has brain damage that isn't expected to show any improvement or degeneration. They've said what sorts of physical problems she has, but not what sort of life she leads now.

It's not that it's unkind to her, exactly. If her development is arrested, then it's not as if she'll grow up mentally and hate her parents for leaving her stuck as a child. And maybe it's better for her to be a little girl in a girl's body than a little girl in an woman's body, flooded with adult hormones. But making that decision for her worries me a lot, because it seems like a lot of it is to do with convenience. If developing into an adult meant she would end up with severe dementia and lose the mind she has now (adolescence is associated with the loss of some grey matter from the brain and appears to trigger some disorders) or serious hormonal problems threatening to end her life early, I could get it.

But a lot of those reasons sound really flimsy. Bed sores? Keeping her a child only means she weighs less, she can still get them! Same for cancer risks- unless there's a specific reason why she is at risk for extensive cancer (which would threaten her quality of life), then there's no more reason to sterilise her than any other girl. It makes me worry if it's convenience- a brain damaged child is easier to look after than a brain damaged adult. It's easier for their parents to accept than looking at a fully grown woman with severe retardation, it's easier to lift them and manipulate them to prevent atrophy and bed sores, it's easier to control a brain-damaged adult that might be able to walk and cause trouble for nurses. It worries me

Riding Dirty Famahama has a reputation beyond repute Famahama has a reputation beyond repute Famahama has a reputation beyond repute Famahama has a reputation beyond repute Famahama has a reputation beyond repute Famahama has a reputation beyond repute Famahama has a reputation beyond repute Famahama has a reputation beyond repute Famahama has a reputation beyond repute Famahama has a reputation beyond repute Famahama has a reputation beyond repute Famahama's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-20-2014 10:43 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Man thats cruel . Really-Really over protective parents . Does that mean that she'll be in a six-year old body forever?
    Over-saturating since '07

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

People call this eugenics? That is just absurd. The point of eugenics is to force the hand of evolution; selective breeding if you like. This is nothing of the sort: It's more of a Bonsai human. Unethical? Yes. Eugenics? No.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Actually bigger than you. miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts Ceiling Cat Violin Cds
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2013 07:01 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: miniPhil

thats really [removed] up, but then again it is up to the parents if the child cant talk and say what she wants. kinda like choseing to let someone live or die if they are in a vegatation state.
    Last edited by Kewii; 01-18-2007 at 01:34 PM.
    This is a Sig. It's horribly out of date.

Senior Member Demonstaff is a jewel in the rough Demonstaff is a jewel in the rough Demonstaff is a jewel in the rough Demonstaff's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-14-2007 07:14 AM
    Threads

Her mental/physical development can be takcled by a multitude of people specially trained to do so, with all the trouble the parents have gone through to make her this way, they definately had the ability to go and seek help to give her a real chance at a normal life, they chose not to due to their own paranoia. I see it as selfish in a way.

"And when he goes to heaven,
    To Saint Peter he will tell,
    'One more soldier reporting sir,
    I've served my time in hell' "

The Love in Your Eyes Astalle has a reputation beyond repute Astalle has a reputation beyond repute Astalle has a reputation beyond repute Astalle has a reputation beyond repute Astalle has a reputation beyond repute Astalle has a reputation beyond repute Astalle has a reputation beyond repute Astalle has a reputation beyond repute Astalle has a reputation beyond repute Astalle has a reputation beyond repute Astalle has a reputation beyond repute Astalle's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-03-2008 04:07 AM
    Threads

I find the worst part about this story is that she (Ashley X) Had no real say in the matter. Her Parents were obsessivly protective of her to the point of literally freezing her life. It makes me sick to think that she will never have a chance to grow up into the women she would have eventually become. It's just wrong, just plain wrong.

Banned Forum / Chat Black Pony is a jewel in the rough Black Pony is a jewel in the rough Black Pony is a jewel in the rough Black Pony is a jewel in the rough Black Pony's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-26-2007 01:17 PM
    Threads

Oh my gosh the poor thing I don't think its not going to go down well with most people espeacaily people who know others like this disabled person. I have seen serverley mentally handicapped people that had nothing like this done to them and they get a long fine when I had seen them. Seroushly this is skrued.
    Last edited by Black Pony; 01-18-2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: correction

Matsu-Matsu-San Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto has a reputation beyond repute Matsumoto's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2008 11:53 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Demonstaff View Post
    Wow, that really takes overprotective and psychopathic parenting to a truely monstrous level. They've seriously ruined that girls life and see it as protecting her. *shakes head*
    i would never do that to my daughter, i agree with you. its monstrous and cruel.

~*Inspired by Skyla_G*~

[Justin Wong]: Im the Greatest Street Fighter player in the world!!!
    [Rival Deigo]: Street fighter is over-rated...Just like spelling!

Senior Member rpgwiz99 has a reputation beyond repute rpgwiz99 has a reputation beyond repute rpgwiz99 has a reputation beyond repute rpgwiz99 has a reputation beyond repute rpgwiz99 has a reputation beyond repute rpgwiz99 has a reputation beyond repute rpgwiz99 has a reputation beyond repute rpgwiz99 has a reputation beyond repute rpgwiz99 has a reputation beyond repute rpgwiz99 has a reputation beyond repute rpgwiz99 has a reputation beyond repute rpgwiz99's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2008 03:37 AM
    Threads

It seems like her parrents had it all planned, but to me it sounds perverted to me. Have any of you all ever seen full metal alchimist? Well if you have then you will reconize this saying "molding flesh is best left to the hands of God", and I truley agree. Let thing happen normally and dont interfear with mother nature.

Senior Member Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna's Avatar
    Gil
    Shh
    Gifts Flowers Fan2 R2 Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-06-2015 06:16 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

it sounds like totaly b.s. that her parents r just protecting her....those parents seem pretty sick and need therapy for themselves

From SkullMuffins on deviantart

Instagram|Tumblr

Yaoi Extremist sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2007 09:11 PM
    In a magical place where yaoi reigns supreme
    Threads

Thats scary.
    Really scary.
    Im never looking at parents the same way again...*shivers*
    Made by Fast as Fire
    I <3 You!

Senior Member Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Present Bomb Aquarius
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2014 05:45 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

So shes different, So shes growing quicker, that doesn't give her parents any right to do what they did. Thats completely monstrous!

ein, zwei, drei, vier bin endlich weg von Dir
    fünf, sechs, sieben, acht Du hast jetzt keine Macht

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Gah. This sort of thing bugs me. Either conceder her life important or don’t, but when you start pulling off parts for your convenience is when things get hypocritical.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Senior Member Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Present Bomb Aquarius
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2014 05:45 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Yeah, and a hysterectomy at 6? Thats extreme.

ein, zwei, drei, vier bin endlich weg von Dir
    fünf, sechs, sieben, acht Du hast jetzt keine Macht

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Oh, and: http://ashleytreatment.spaces.live.com/blog/

Parent's blog, so you can read their reasons/justifications.

Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Ninja Jesus Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess's Avatar
    Gil
    Angry
    Gifts Aquarius Four Leaf Clover
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-16-2014 01:20 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

*shudders* Yeah this is definately not cool. Honestly, talk about making things convenient. Jesus Christ!! Way to make things easier for yourself. As stated before, if they really wanted the best for her they could have put just as much effort and money into something other than just letting her freeze in one state for what remains of her "life". I don't even see the point of keeping her alive other than feeding their own moral compass. To make themselves feel better about what happened. Like they couldn't deal with loosing their daughter so they froze her in one state, unable to do anything, and call it giving her comfort.

In her current state she is not even considered a living being by a scientific definition. By a scientific definition, a living thing must carry out cellular respiration, must be able to grow move on its own and must be able to reproduce. She does not grow or develop, she needs others to survive, she cannot move on her own or even reproduce. This is not a living thing. She is already dead. Like I said before this is just them giving themselves something to cling to not to mention a clear concious with all that perfect reasoning the father did in the article. Improve the quality of her life? How can you improve the life of something that isn't even truely living.

I have a bit of an agreement with the "Frankenstein" statement before. What a terrible human project, stripping everything away from something, call it living and call it some favor to her or an advancement in science. Just throwing fuel on their fire. "We did the right thing to make her happy!" yeah right, more like they did the right thing to make things easier for themselves.

...how awful...

love
    dani
    dude
    Last edited by Yugure's Goddess; 01-20-2007 at 12:05 AM.
    Check out my wordpress blog:
    KamiYugure's Digital Notebooks

Senior Member Đita has a reputation beyond repute Đita has a reputation beyond repute Đita has a reputation beyond repute Đita has a reputation beyond repute Đita has a reputation beyond repute Đita has a reputation beyond repute Đita has a reputation beyond repute Đita has a reputation beyond repute Đita has a reputation beyond repute Đita has a reputation beyond repute Đita has a reputation beyond repute Đita's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-16-2014 03:40 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Omg that's terrible. That type of thing shouldn't even have been permitted. They should've taken that girl away from her parents because obviously, they're not in their right mind.

Kuso Saniwa _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_ has a reputation beyond repute _CTA_'s Avatar
    Gil
    Torn
    Gifts Portal Companion Cube 025 - Pikachu Moon Crystal Locket
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-31-2017 12:20 AM
    Threads

omg....its horrible...i felt so sorry to that girl...why cant she be like peter pan not with those horrible stuff they did to her. some parents they got!!!
    Used to be known as cool_tria_anime.
    「今宵の俺は血に飢えている…ってな」

Illustration credit: banafria @ tumblr

Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I think the thing a lot of you are missing is that her brain won't work. She can't even swallow, much less talk, walk, etcetera.

Based on some of your comments, I think some of you think her parent's made a normal girl into a permenently small-child sized person.

Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Senior Member pfftlecakes has a reputation beyond repute pfftlecakes has a reputation beyond repute pfftlecakes has a reputation beyond repute pfftlecakes has a reputation beyond repute pfftlecakes has a reputation beyond repute pfftlecakes has a reputation beyond repute pfftlecakes has a reputation beyond repute pfftlecakes has a reputation beyond repute pfftlecakes has a reputation beyond repute pfftlecakes has a reputation beyond repute pfftlecakes has a reputation beyond repute pfftlecakes's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-26-2008 02:44 PM
    Threads

It's true. This family went to great lengths to modify their child. For those of you who are completely against this and call the parents 'monstrous', let's just look at a few things here:

1) This child cannot move on her own. You're looking at a being that can barely swallow alone, let alone tilt her head or crawl as an infant could. How do you tell a child of this mentality that it's too hard for her to accompany you everywhere [if you read the blog provided, you'd know that Ashley doesn't like her wheelchair] and you do have to leave her home when the other children can go? How do you illustrate why bedsores appear from constant weight and why they're so painful? Does she even understand that she can't move? We know she'll never understand why.

2) Hitting puberty is a huge milestone in the life of both genders, but very much so in the life of a female's because it's something you have to live with, pretty much for the rest of your life. How do you explain menstrual cramps to a girl who cannot grasp any concepts dealing with reproduction and never will? How about the pain experienced in the forming breasts?

3) This child was expected to reach a normal height and weight for an adult woman, while still in the mentality of an infant. Her brain has no development. How do you convey the fact that this human, who needs the same attention as an infant (albeit for the rest of her life) that she can no longer be held or carried by her caretakers?

How do you tell her these things? You can't. She can't understand you.

Now, I don't completely agree with all of the methods taken by her parents. I believe there were other, less extreme ways, to handle Ashley's situation. The fact still stands that these parents thought that this was best for their child. Not only did they think it best, but their doctor thought it was best. Not only them and their doctor, but forty other scientists too.

I think I would have taken a completely different route with Ashley, if she was my child. As it is, her parents are providing what they (and many others) feel is going to be a comfortable lifestyle for her.

Is it difficult to swallow? Is it hard to understand? Yes.
    Would you do it the same way? Would I? No.
    But, honestly, are these parents really monsters? I don't think so.

Image (c) A.Starr. Collaboration with J.N. 2006

Senior Member Kashi Girl is a name known to all Kashi Girl is a name known to all Kashi Girl is a name known to all Kashi Girl is a name known to all Kashi Girl is a name known to all Kashi Girl is a name known to all Kashi Girl's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2007 12:27 AM
    Threads

Whoa...I feel sorry for that girl,plus her parents are way over protective.Well I geuss I could understand the over protective part because what if the girl is the only child,then I think the parents would be a little or alot over the over protective side.Either way I feel sorry for her.

[Awesome Sig And Avie Set Made By therebel,Thanks]

Closed Thread

Thread Information