AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Japan. Anime instead of cinema?

Junior Member Yoma is on a distinguished road Yoma's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2006 11:06 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Japan. Anime instead of cinema?

I don't know much about the Japanese cinema, but I know for sure that it can't boast of many (or any) worldfamous masterpieces. What is the reason? Japan is a country with very well developed economy, it has a rich culture with its art and a great deal of talented people. However in Japan all cinema genres are dubbed with those in anime and the anime industry seems to have totally supressed the cinema. Thus I am inclined to think in Japan there are no good actors. Why should they be if everything can be shown only by means of drawn characters? Are the Japanese so traditionally withdrawn that they cannot act? What do you think?

Cookie-brained Fox kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-30-2007 05:54 AM
    Threads

XD I laugh.

Each country has its specialty. Westerners have a lot of cash to waste so they do just that. Each country has a "masterpiece", you just have to know where to look. And honestly, do you think a majority of English-speaking people would actually bother to watch any of our (Asian) movies, even if it is dubbed? Nowadays, a "masterpiece" is rated such by its income or viewer ratings, which is rather annoying.

Asia has very diverse cultures. But people have a colonial mentality (anything Western roxxorz), and would rather go for repetitive crap.

Sad.

I stop laughing.

(PM option is off. I refuse to hear people whine.)

Junior Member Yoma is on a distinguished road Yoma's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2006 11:06 AM
    Threads

I see what you mean and I agree. I speak not of Asia in common but of Japan. I know and love certain modern Chinese and Korean movies. What I call "a masterpiece" doesn't suppose its top rating. Here in Russia only anime has reached me but not Japanese movies. It is just a sign of the fact that preference is given to anime in Japan. And the least I care of are tastes of the English-speaking majority crowd. I just ask about cinema in Japan, and why they prefer anime.

Senior Member Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-17-2011 12:14 PM
    Threads

of all the...You've just turned a simple topic into a stew of controversy. Your derogitory remarks about Western culture has just turned this topic into a "Eastern vs. Western culture". And since I'm not one to sit idly by and let my ancestry and culture be bashed, I will have to point out some of the contradictions, misinformations, and all around mudslinging that is YOUR post.

is rated such by its income or viewer ratings
    Then how in hell are they supposed to rate it? By how many birds deficated on the roof of the theater on opening day? If you're not going to rate it by viewer reviews or box office income then how do you suggest they rate it?

Westerners have a lot of cash to waste so they do just that.
    What a closed minded statement. So basically, we're wasting cash in producing masterpiece movies, world reknowned for their production values, stories, and impressions (yes, even in Japan and asia in general) while Japan is NOT wasting money in producing cartoons that will eventually, like all other cartoons, fade away into nothingness, only to be remembered by sweaty japanophiles in their mothers basement.

do you think a majority of English-speaking people would actually bother to watch any of our (Asian) movies
    Guess all those bruce lee movies that we obsessed over for a decade were non-existant. I need to lay off the acid.

Asia has very diverse cultures.
    That's unfair to say. We have many MANY different cultures in the west. All of the acient civilizations of middle and south america? The Amerindians of North America. The Inuits of the north, and if you're including Europe into "the west" then you've just lost out, since that holds TONS of diverse cultures.

But people have a colonial mentality (anything Western roxxorz), and would rather go for repetitive crap.
    And you wonder why we're not grovling at the feet of asia paying tribute and prostrating ourselves for their superiority. It's because it seems you're just about as closed minded as us. Repetative crap? Ok, I don't know if anyone told you but almost ALL ANIME IS REPEATATIVE. I'd be hard pressed to find an anime that was completely original and didn't leave me saying "Oh, well y'know I've seen that in X anime and in Y anime and a little bit in Z."

And as for japanese cinema, the most I've seen aren't all that interesting. Nothing I haven't seen in american movies, just in a different language. Their cinema strength is in horror movies, really.

(anything Western roxxorz)

Pot, Kettle, Black, etc.

I know it wasn't in my best interest to get into this, and I also understand your point of view, but I also hope that you can understand where I'm coming from, just thought I'd add that in to make sure you know I'm not just doing this to pick on anyone or antagonise them.
    Last edited by Masali; 12-23-2006 at 01:01 PM.
    All The Ways You Wish Could Be? That's me

Lawful Good~*I <3<3<3~Torm*~ Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-03-2015 11:24 AM
    Threads

I had the impression Japanese cinema was mostly about making movies about popular animes or mangas in the first place : 3

The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal.

Junior Member Otaking is on a distinguished road Otaking's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-07-2007 02:05 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Yoma View Post
    I don't know much about the Japanese cinema, but I know for sure that it can't boast of many (or any) worldfamous masterpieces. What is the reason? Japan is a country with very well developed economy, it has a rich culture with its art and a great deal of talented people. However in Japan all cinema genres are dubbed with those in anime and the anime industry seems to have totally supressed the cinema. Thus I am inclined to think in Japan there are no good actors. Why should they be if everything can be shown only by means of drawn characters? Are the Japanese so traditionally withdrawn that they cannot act? What do you think?
    Japan has MANY good actors. However, do to the border between our cultures and nations we often do not willingly accept Japanese movies into our own culture as westerners. However that barrier has been breaking down with more movies being released. The Ring (Ringu) came from Japan and is even a manga. Japanese horror movies are just starting to catch on publically in America. It does me no good to list Japanese actors here when you know so little about the reality of the movies coming from Japan.

As for a masterpiece their exists many wonderful gems and one classic, but not well understood one is Seven Samurai. It is black and white, but the movie was so amazing I still watch it. Hollywood produces terrible movies compared to Japan. Japanese productions are given lots of thought, care and hard work. Hollywood productions are about money and action. If you started to watched subbed movies from Japan you will most likely love them.

May I suggest Death Note? That is a brand-new and well done live-action film that recently came out. If you want your deep movies, try that one.
    Last edited by Otaking; 12-23-2006 at 03:04 PM.

Senior Member -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman-'s Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2011 04:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I'm sorry, just want to point out.

Asian movies not famous?
    How many Subtitled crouching tiger hidden hero, super tree flying iron monk monkey jackie chan bruce jet li lee films have we had?
    Mind you, the dozens of bad godzilla movies dubbed in english over the years. Oh, and lets not forget Popular american movies based upon japanese culture, such as the last samurai, pearl harbor, the last samurai, midway, tora tora tora, Kung POW! Enter the fist, the last samurai, star wars, and that crap they pass for horror like ringu, which was only a tiny ioda better than that crap the ring.

Cookie-brained Fox kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-30-2007 05:54 AM
    Threads

>.> Masali, I was stating that in rebuttal to the thread starter's post <.<

I see it affected you the way I meant it to. Your reaction is the answer to his/her question, as someone from Asia such as myself can't really answer it.

Ironic.

(PM option is off. I refuse to hear people whine.)

Jumonji Baka Kawaii IV
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2009 09:27 AM
    Threads

They're quirky. That's all to it. I am very entertained by how unique and different their films are from ours. If you've ever seen Battle Royale, you know what I'm talking about. It might be a slight "B" movie, but it's pretty different than what you see in America. Better than some of the action movies here, in my opinion. There are plenty of good actors, but I'm guessing you don't emotion in different languages. If they dubbed it with some English guy, it wouldn't sound or look right, now would it? This is just my opinion.

深く根ざした||傷は消えない
    Hide it, Hide it, Hide me

Closed Thread

Thread Information