AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: What is the difference...???

Member snakegaer is infamous around these parts snakegaer is infamous around these parts snakegaer's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-06-2008 02:02 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Thumbs up What is the difference...???

hi every one

i was reading a thread that talks about if you have got girlfriend or a boyfriend??

really i don't get it

there are boys who are friends so, we call them boyfriends
    &
    there are girls who are friends so, call them girlfriends
    or
    i'm mixing them up???

what dose a boyfriend or girlfriend mean to you??

and thank you

SPQR Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2009 08:57 PM
    Threads

Boyfriend and girlfriend are terms used to denote a couple of some sort.

A friend is gender neutral and thus you do not need to add "boy" or "girl" in front of it and you would avoid this entire confusion.

There, problem solved.

Junior Member audi is on a distinguished road audi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-07-2006 06:11 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Sagat
    Boyfriend and girlfriend are terms used to denote a couple of some sort.

A friend is gender neutral and thus you do not need to add "boy" or "girl" in front of it and you would avoid this entire confusion.
    Not necessarily. i can say 'i'm going out with my girlfriends' which means something different than 'i'm going out with my girlfriend.' Context plays a big role. In the first, i am going to hang out with my female friends and in the second i am going to go out with the girl whom i am dating. 'Boyfriend' can be used in the same matter.

Girls tend to use both more than boys, and 'girlfriend' is pluralised more often than 'boyfriend'. Unless, of course, you are dating more than one person. Friend *is* gender neutral, but it's often nice to be specific. In Spanish, for example, it's amigo vs amiga. And in Japanese, the words 'ga-rufurendo' and 'boifurendo' mean a friend who is a girl or a friend who is a boy repespectively.

(My Japanese class had this discussion a few weeks ago, sensei was unsure of the meanings too.)

I don't care what you are doing, so much as the idiotic way that you are doing it.
    - Vincent Valentine, FFVII

青い空には 青い自由がある // 白い雲には 白い望みがある.
    --『青い自由、白い望み』(ふしぎ遊戯の ちちりと たすき。 )

Der Übel Diktator German_Sniper9 has a reputation beyond repute German_Sniper9 has a reputation beyond repute German_Sniper9 has a reputation beyond repute German_Sniper9 has a reputation beyond repute German_Sniper9 has a reputation beyond repute German_Sniper9 has a reputation beyond repute German_Sniper9 has a reputation beyond repute German_Sniper9 has a reputation beyond repute German_Sniper9 has a reputation beyond repute German_Sniper9 has a reputation beyond repute German_Sniper9 has a reputation beyond repute German_Sniper9's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-12-2014 06:08 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: German_Sniper9

It depends on how you use the word in the sentence and the situation at the time

but to tell you the truth i agree what Sagat said with the addition of my opinion..

Senior Member sasukelover123 has a reputation beyond repute sasukelover123 has a reputation beyond repute sasukelover123 has a reputation beyond repute sasukelover123 has a reputation beyond repute sasukelover123 has a reputation beyond repute sasukelover123 has a reputation beyond repute sasukelover123 has a reputation beyond repute sasukelover123 has a reputation beyond repute sasukelover123 has a reputation beyond repute sasukelover123 has a reputation beyond repute sasukelover123 has a reputation beyond repute sasukelover123's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-03-2008 12:56 AM
    Threads

when u have a bf its not the same as haveing a boy as a friend,its the same as haveing a gf

¤Ecstacy ♥ gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-13-2009 03:46 PM
    Threads

To me, to have a boyfriend or girlfriend is to be in love with him/her and them knowing it.

But to have a friend thats a girl, a chick friend.
    To have a friend thats a boy, a guy friend.

I only speak americanese manslayer101 is infamous around these parts manslayer101 is infamous around these parts manslayer101 is infamous around these parts manslayer101 is infamous around these parts manslayer101 is infamous around these parts manslayer101 is infamous around these parts manslayer101 is infamous around these parts manslayer101 is infamous around these parts manslayer101 is infamous around these parts manslayer101 is infamous around these parts manslayer101 is infamous around these parts manslayer101's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Doh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-29-2011 01:37 PM
    Threads

what do i believe is a b/f or g/f?

well i believe of them as you have very close friendships with them, that goes beyond just talking, but in time develops into intimacy, and if the relation is correct, on to marriage.
    "...and now abides faith, hope, and love, but the greatest of these is love..."

But this would've been my Avatar:

MangaPage

Join up for a chance to win Azumanga Daioh or Moribito full anime box sets if you sign up before July 1st
    No that's not a joke...

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snakegaer
    hi every one

i was reading a thread that talks about if you have got girlfriend or a boyfriend??

really i don't get it

there are boys who are friends so, we call them boyfriends
    &
    there are girls who are friends so, call them girlfriends
    or
    i'm mixing them up???

what dose a boyfriend or girlfriend mean to you??

and thank you
    There's a little thing called context clues that should inform you which definition the speaker means.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by gothic tears
    But to have a friend thats a girl, a chick friend.
    To have a friend thats a boy, a guy friend.
    While that does clarify it, not everyone uses those terms. i don't think i've ever heard 'chick friend'. i know i use 'guy friends', probably since i'm female and people expect me to have a boyfriend.

Terminology varies from region to region, and throughout languages. It really is best to listen to context.

I don't care what you are doing, so much as the idiotic way that you are doing it.

Senior Member timewarp90 has a brilliant future timewarp90 has a brilliant future timewarp90 has a brilliant future timewarp90 has a brilliant future timewarp90 has a brilliant future timewarp90 has a brilliant future timewarp90 has a brilliant future timewarp90 has a brilliant future timewarp90 has a brilliant future timewarp90 has a brilliant future timewarp90 has a brilliant future timewarp90's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-13-2007 02:06 PM
    Somewhere in Florida, but it feels more like the center of the sun ::sooo hot here:: 0.0
    Threads

That's just a fault of the English language that we use the same term to define a close aquaintence and a lover. It probably comes from the fact that we don't have gender defined words like other languages such as Spanish. In spanish only one word is used for "friend" but the ending tells you what kind of friend (amiga/amigo) and boyfriend and girlfriend are also the same base word with either a feminine or masculine ending, which lets you know whether it's a...well...girlfriend or boyfriend (novia/novio). It's just that we have our adjectives before our nouns, context clues are vital to figure out which it is: "boy friend" or "boyfriend".
    "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."
    -William Shakespear

I drew this ^.^

¤Ecstacy ♥ gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears has a reputation beyond repute gothic tears's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-13-2009 03:46 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by audi
    While that does clarify it, not everyone uses those terms. i don't think i've ever heard 'chick friend'. i know i use 'guy friends', probably since i'm female and people expect me to have a boyfriend.

Terminology varies from region to region, and throughout languages. It really is best to listen to context.
    Ummm...woah, you kinda lost me at terminology. I was just saying what I thought and say. My defenitions and terms of what I say. Don't think I'm saying this in a mean way please.
    My friends call what I say 'chick friends', 'lady friends' haha.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by gothic tears
    Ummm...woah, you kinda lost me at terminology. I was just saying what I thought and say. My defenitions and terms of what I say. Don't think I'm saying this in a mean way please.
    My friends call what I say 'chick friends', 'lady friends' haha.
    i don't think it's mean (and i'm sorry if you think that i thought that), but you've helped me make your point with your "chick friends"/"lady friends" bit. Definitions vary, blah blah blah. Words mean different things.

Girlfriend can be "chick friend" or "lady friend" or it can be a girl that you are dating. i maintain that you need to listen to context. Whyyy can't it be easy like in Spanish? Or Japanese. koibito, tomodachi... *sigh*

Emperor of Shadows blackwolf16 is a splendid one to behold blackwolf16 is a splendid one to behold blackwolf16 is a splendid one to behold blackwolf16 is a splendid one to behold blackwolf16 is a splendid one to behold blackwolf16 is a splendid one to behold blackwolf16 is a splendid one to behold blackwolf16's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-05-2008 10:38 AM
    Threads

When I hear people say "girlfriend/boyfriend", I think of someone that that person is in a relationship with. When I am talking about a friend that is a girl I say "My friend she..." and when I am talking about a boy who is a friend I say "My friend he..."

Cookie-brained Fox kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan has a reputation beyond repute kyubichan's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-30-2007 05:54 AM
    Threads

We don't speak English casually here, so there's no confusion. A bf/gf or girlfriend/boyfriend is someone you have a romantic relationship with. When I'm on the Internet, I call my female friends "gurlfriends" and my male friends "guy friends". But the guys don't mind when I refer to them as my boy-friends XD

(PM option is off. I refuse to hear people whine.)

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

As mp2k said, context.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Closed Thread

Thread Information