AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: evolution, moral and religion

boopaloop! None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above's Avatar
    Gil
    Stressed
    Gifts Xmas Tree Lamborghini Grapes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-01-2011 03:21 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Post evolution, moral and religion

According to Spiegel.de ( the english edition ):

'In the United States, atheists are becoming an ostracized minority. But now evolutionary biologists are trying to turn the tables: According to their argument, religion is the source of evil. Morals and selflessness are not God-given - they are the result of evolution.'

read more

It seems that some researchers from the Oxford University ( and not only from there ) claim that 'there is almost certainly no god' and that the idea of god, the moral values and so on are evolution-based.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

And here I sit trying to avoid these threads, but to no avail.
    As an atheist, I agree on the non-existance of a God, and I do believe religion to be the source of a great amount of violence, immorality, descrimination, and of much "evil".
    Morals are not God-given, and are the result of thousands of years of social evolution, not necessarily the evolution of our species itself. Over time, morals have grown, become stronger, faded out, and so forth. I mean, I don't need the Bible to tell me adultery or murder is wrong. In most modern societies, that is a social moral which has developed within said society for generations.
    Oh, and I couldn't have said this better myself: "The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."
    This quotation just lists many of the faulty traits religion brings to humanity.

Edit: And I believe Dieselmannen put it very well. (See the post below).
    Last edited by Gjallarhorn; 10-28-2006 at 11:07 AM.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure how to put this in other words than: Well duh.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Ineffective. You don't attack people’s beliefs directly; you slowly erode their foundations and let them fall of their own accord.

Although I have to agree that organized religion has been nothing but a pox on mankind.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

100% Vitamin C Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-21-2008 08:57 PM
    Threads

I don't care about religion, I really don't. Until I can see some very solid evidence that proves the existance of a higher power, I refuse to believe in it. I believe in gravity because it can be proven that gravity exists; until someone can prove to me without a shadow of a doubt that God exists, I view it no more true than a fairy tale.
    -Back! From Outer Space!-
    -Soldats Royal Family-

Senior Member Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia has much to be proud of Hyperaesthesia's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-02-2008 11:44 AM
    Threads

The idea of morality being a result of evolution has been around for a while. Whatever the society, culture or religion, the moral code essentially breaks down to "Behave towards others as you'd like them to behave towards you". It's put in different ways, but this 'golden rule' is everywhere, suggesting that being generally altruistic is something intrinsic about humans. In addition, children go through the same stages of moral development regardless of where they live, and people all around the world tend to be more altruistic towards those who share their genes and are still capable of passing them on. So you might be OK giving up your life to save two siblings or six cousins, and not for any strangers or an elderly relative past reproducing. From an evolutionary perspective, that would be altruism for the sake of continuing your genes.

And obviously, altruism does help your species. If you share resources and take care of each other, the group is overall better off than if everyone was out for themself. It raises your status within the group and increases the chances that someone will take care of you when you need it. Although of course, this view means altruism isn't so great after all- it believes people do it to ensure reciprocal altruism in the future or because they're programmed to generally feel warm and fuzzy when they help people, and guilty when they don't. Which means helping others would ultimately be a selfish act in the end

Senior Member Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-03-2010 01:32 AM
    Threads

Although I agree that morals are definately not God-given, I don't agree with what these people are trying to do. Attacking or destroying other people's beliefs will only make them angry, or cause them to fall apart.

What we call morals are pretty basic - the ten commandments are not just religious, but are common sense: don't go around killing and stealing, and don't go joining cults that worship farm animals. Which is why I can sort of understand why many types of sexuality are considered immoral, since sex with an animal could give you some kind of disease.
    This post has been approved by Dancing Alec™

Closed Thread

Thread Information