AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Turn based or Real Time Strategy?

Larsa Ferrinas Solidor Furio Goldenthread will become famous soon enough Furio Goldenthread will become famous soon enough Furio Goldenthread's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2006 11:08 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Turn based or Real Time Strategy?

I know this should be in videogames, kinda, because it's about them, but I put it more about the games that aren't really considered videogames, the start of the real stuff, the text games and what not.
    Which is better, imo? Well, I like turn based, the turns are really nice to have when you don't want to die easily, but it takes a long time.
    Imo, RT is too fast, and you can't handle it if you aren't working fast enough.
    So, for my vote, it's Turn based.
    What is needed besides a twinky and a championship?

Aragorn- Middle Earth Defender.
    Thor- Bowl of Cream
    8 Faces of power:
    o_o o.o O_o O.o o_O o.O O_O O.O
    My time is up. Have fun, and play in the games!
    Bored? come play FE! (browser game, no download necessary!)

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

I dispise turn based with all my being. DISPISE! I hate the whole 'lets take turns hitting each other' concept. Its just very unrealistic. I prefer RT.

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

boopaloop! Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-19-2013 11:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't like either.
    making emo kids[/URL] cry since 1998

Larsa Ferrinas Solidor Furio Goldenthread will become famous soon enough Furio Goldenthread will become famous soon enough Furio Goldenthread's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Actually, Turn based is better for when it was realistic.. Did you know that in the 1800's, they basically fought like turn based is now? Well, 1770's, and things. Their armies marched up, shot, then the other armies fired. Very unlike today. Very Turn based. Very many games are turnbased, Chess, and all.. But another turnbased is the type of turnbased, this is what was in my mind at the time, that everyone is taking the turn at the same time, and there is an amount of time before the next turn comes up. That's a little more realistic..

Thor- Bowl of Cream
    8 Faces of power:

SPQR Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2009 08:57 PM
    Threads

Yeah there's also a reason why nobody fights in turn based combat anymore - its RETARDED.

Chess has to be turn based given the ultimate complexity and scope of the movements and thinking ahead.

I personally love real time. Oh Starcraft, sweet mistress.

Senior Member Nick_roge is infamous around these parts Nick_roge is infamous around these parts Nick_roge is infamous around these parts Nick_roge is infamous around these parts Nick_roge is infamous around these parts Nick_roge is infamous around these parts Nick_roge is infamous around these parts Nick_roge is infamous around these parts Nick_roge is infamous around these parts Nick_roge is infamous around these parts Nick_roge is infamous around these parts Nick_roge's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-02-2008 10:00 AM
    Threads

Personnaly I like turn-based games because you have time to think out your strategy before you attack, unlike in real-time games you have to think up a strategy on the spot.
    P.M. me for an RPG battle, I'm just itching for a fight.
    (only people 5 levels above or below my own please)
    I need some money, sombody please donate.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") <-- this is bunny copy and paste him into your signature so he can overtake the world!

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

When I say turnbased, I don't mean the uberly long stuff people write.. I hope everyone knew that. Just admit, that they USED to fight that way. I know exactly why they changed. And exactly why they fought that way. Admit that turnbased games are easier to program on the most part. They're easier to make, because the server won't die from running so many things at the same time. Compare a turnbased requirements to a realtime req. There's pros and cons about both.

Thor- Bowl of Cream
    8 Faces of power:

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Furio Goldenthread
    Admit that turnbased games are easier to program on the most part. They're easier to make, because the server won't die from running so many things at the same time. Compare a turnbased requirements to a realtime req. There's pros and cons about both.
    And you know this because youre a game developer?
    I think not. I atend school with teachers that develop games, and they've all told me that RT is easier. Its usually have all creatures target one person,a nd attack, while with TB you have to program different attacks for the creatures and set a program so that it changes between attacks for varation.

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From the coding perspective, of amateur coders, like myself.. I've had to code VB, for a TB, and a RT. TB was infinitely easier, to me. Then again, it might just be me. But, you are right about the RT having a specific target..
    Hmm, now that I'm relooking at the code, the RT does look easier, because it's not a empire game..

Thor- Bowl of Cream
    8 Faces of power:

Myself Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2008 12:30 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by MaruDashi
    And you know this because youre a game developer?
    I think not. I atend school with teachers that develop games, and they've all told me that RT is easier. Its usually have all creatures target one person,a nd attack, while with TB you have to program different attacks for the creatures and set a program so that it changes between attacks for varation.
    That's pretty ridiculous. Turn based is much easier to develop, and that's why turn based came first. It's not at all difficult to basically keep a damage modifier randomized like role playing with dice. It's not difficult to have the program intelligently decide what attack to make.

In real time, you have to not only set up your program to be doing many things at the same time. For example, each ally's moves need to be calculated, each enemy's moves need to be calculated, timers between every one of them, since you can't have everyone in a constant state of attack, deciding in real time which opponent that the computer based characters should be attacking, checking for player input at the same time, and all the while, not lagging so the user gets irritated.
    The fact is, anything that is real time has a lot more factors involved than anything that's turn based (or "event driven"). It's so simple to tell a program "do this, do this, do this, do this, and then wait for user input." But creating a user interface to get input while other things are happening, it's not as simple.

Anyway, turn-based games aren't as interesting. I find that having unlimited time to plan out logically my moves, and predict my opponent's reactions.. It's uninteresting. Putting a time constraint on that, and adding the twist where actions can happen simultaneously, that is more interesting.

And furthermore, RTS games are great. Specifically Starcraft, since none of the RTS games since have managed to be so well balanced and fun.

And yes, I am a developer. Making a living as a programmer at this time.

Animepedia.com -- Part of the Anime Globe network.
    Come share your wealth of anime knowledge with the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Jack of Blades~ View Post
    Because evaporation is a ninja ...so you can't see it =o
    You know it's true.

You leave a glass of water, turn your back and WH-WH-WH-WH-WHAM! You've got 5 shurikens in your back.

Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Im just repeating what Ive been told by teachers who used to be in the game developing business, some of which still are

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

There's some really good turn-based games, and some decent real time games. I dislike how unrealistic the RTS tend to become, it gets a little too much of the micro-managment for my taste. I like how the Homeworld game series handled it though.

Furio Goldenthread: It depends on how you design your game, RT will almost always be more complex because it has to be asynchronous.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Here's the game we have, TB.
    It's called FE, Fantasy empires.
    Wikipedia can give you this.
    But, anyways, It sets up with 30 minute ticks, so it's a turnbased with a limit. Basically the best way is to call it is turnbased, because it's not running monsters, it's a mmo, but not an rpg, kinda.
    KOC, FE, and others are like this. What is their pratical definition?

Thor- Bowl of Cream
    8 Faces of power:

Closed Thread

Thread Information