AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Clarification on Fanart/Non-fanart divide?

Senior Member Plaidbutterfly will become famous soon enough Plaidbutterfly will become famous soon enough Plaidbutterfly's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-01-2006 03:27 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Clarification on Fanart/Non-fanart divide?

I'm sorely confused and could use some help...

I have 2 "gallery threads" at the moment, one in the "Dazzle Us" non-fanart discussion and one in the Fanart forum. A moderator post this morning sayeth thus:
    Fanart = everything consisted of drawings (not only copying other anime chars) without any use of computer graphic programs.
    In other words, if you just draw an image, scanned it and uploaded it, it's considered as a fanart. Tho, if you colored it with the computer, it may stay here ... We don't have any straight rules about that. Altho ... I'd also move that to the fanart section.
    So fanart is all "classical media" that is not computer generated - oil paint, watercolor, crayon, charcoal, pencils, etc?
    And non-fanart is call CG?

As far as I understood fanart was, well, fanart. Here's Google's definition...
    Graphic of some kind for a television show, book, comic or movie by people un-connected with the original and without any intention of making a profit.
    And here's Wikipedia's entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanart

I can't find any mention of media coming into play to draw the fanart/non-fanart line; in fact this is the first time I've seen this.

Where does it leave my drawings of original characters that are done in pencil, or my drawings from art class that are CG?

Should the forums be renamed instead by medium if that's how they're being moderated?

I'm sorry if these questions are silly - I'm just very very very confused and want to make sure I have my art in the right place.
    Looking for an Inu-Yasha Roleplay Board...
    Please PM me if you know of one!

Goddess (Mom <333) Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Dr Who Tardis Dr Who SonicScrewdriver Dr Who K9
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2011 02:24 PM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

fan art = drawings you have done with pencil, paper, paint etc goes in "fan art". wallpapers, sigs, photo editing/manipulation goes into dazzle us. We're moving stuff around at the moment so the descriptions will change soon.

The Goddess has Spoken
    A simple kiss can warm an entire body

Senior Member Plaidbutterfly will become famous soon enough Plaidbutterfly will become famous soon enough Plaidbutterfly's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Ah - okay. Sorry for my silliness, it just makes my brain hurt to be told my drawings from art class are fanart. (fanart of the still life that was set up maybe? lol)

Should I go ahead and start moving my stuff over now or later?

Goddess (Mom <333) Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Dr Who Tardis Dr Who SonicScrewdriver Dr Who K9
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2011 02:24 PM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

If you re read a post in Fan Art there is now a place for original characters. That is where it would go, rather than in Dazzle us. As for still life, we'd really like to keep the forums art to anime or gaming focus, altho we will accept walls of like j-pop artists or pocky... because who doesn't love pocky?

The Goddes has Spoken
    A simple kiss can warm an entire body

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Eeek all right >< Sorry, I just got overenthusiastic when I saw the Dazzle Us forum, I really like showing off my art as a whole (because I emphasise so much to people that before you start in on the anime style you need to learn how to draw from life) to show my more cartoonish stuff and "art art". Would it still be all right to post pictures in the "wrong forum" as examples to show people what to do, e.g., a gesture drawing to show someone what they are even if I did said gesture drawing on the computer? Is it OK for my sketches of Inuyasha, etc to stay even though they're CG? (I use Photoshop and my graphics tablet essentially like paper and pencil for sketching which is one of the reasons I'm just so darned confused here.)

Would anyone know of a forum that's fairly active to discuss art? I like the forum style, hence why I don't have a deviant art account or such, but I don't think with the rule change my art would really fit so I may just ask for the threads to be deleted so they won't clutter up the place :3
    Last edited by Plaidbutterfly; 09-20-2006 at 04:35 PM.

boopaloop! Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-19-2013 11:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

But if we don't have someone here, posting such art, then other people will feel as you do, and we'd never get original artists who are actually any good posting. =( Please stay.
    making emo kids[/URL] cry since 1998

Closed Thread

Thread Information