AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Asking for serious anime...

Member Yzneftamz will become famous soon enough Yzneftamz will become famous soon enough Yzneftamz's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-17-2006 10:21 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Asking for serious anime...

There's this one thing I dislike in anime, and it's the "forced", graphical humour. You know, those weird faces, tears flowing like rivers, etc. And I'd like you to recommend me some anime without (or with as little as possible of) those effects.

I've watched NGE, Kenshin, Ninja Scroll (movie) and Hellsing (plus the first OVA, still looking for the rest, though), and at the moment under surveillance is Berserk. So those are some I don't actually want to hear much about. But Kenshin and Hellsing OVAs have actually quite close to the maximum amoun of those effects I can stand.

So. Any good recommendations?
    "Poor little sword..." Old blacksmith Godou from Berserk, when looking at Gatsu's sword.

A friend is someone you call to help you move. A real friend is someone you call to help you move a body.

And I HATE smileys.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Gungrave
    Blood+
    The Guyver
    Macross
    Samurai Champloo
    Ghost in the Shell
    King of Bandits Jing
    Kino's Journey
    Saiyuki
    Trigun
    KIBA
    Tactics
    Fate/Stay Night
    The SoulTaker
    Any Gundam series(excluding SD)

Actually, there is a huge list, but I'm only going to post these because I seriously do not feel like typing several dozen anime titles at the moment. I'll edited this later.

It is just a matter of looking around.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Member Laharl ex can only hope to improve Laharl ex's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-11-2006 01:35 AM
    Threads

Kino's Journey, Gilgamesh, Tactics, Zettai Shonen, and Loveless. Those are serious and somewhat more deep. Any should fill what you need.
    Netherworld Void
    Please join my forum. Anime and more.

Favorite Anime: Disgaea, Furi Kuri, Gilgamesh, Kino's Journey, & Hare+Guu.
    Currently Watching: Yoshinaga-san chi no Gargoyle, Zettai Shonen, Kiba, Disgaea, and Pita Ten.

A Work In Progress _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-04-2007 06:08 AM
    Threads

Wolf's Rain
    Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    Trinity Blood
    Witch Hunter Robin
    That's all I can personally vie for right now. ^^

Junior Member Midnight Heresy is on a distinguished road Midnight Heresy's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-30-2006 10:49 PM
    Threads

xD I must put Cowboy Bebop on this list. I'll edit later. =3 I know some others, but they have gone from my head at the moment. ^^;
    I loved knowing my heart wouldn't break.
    When you hold the pieces in your hand...
    Do you wish there was something left to hurt?
    And yet...
    I'd let you hurt me all over again...
    Just so that I can always remember what it felt like...
    To be loved by you.

[K_K]'z Death Plague akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2007 06:26 PM
    Threads

Well, in addition to the ones already mentioned, Vampire Princess Miyu and X. Tokyo Babylon is the prequel so to speak to X, but they only made a few episodes so I'd reccommend the manga.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

My silence could mean you are not worth the argument.

"For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

A Work In Progress _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

You're talking about X/1999, right? I heard that's pretty good too.

Junior Member Midnight Heresy is on a distinguished road Midnight Heresy's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-30-2006 10:49 PM
    Threads

Yeah. Tokyo Babylon is an OVA, I think, with only two episodes. The manga is at seven volumes, I believe. It has quite a bit of comical relief, but not enough to completely mask the darker colors of the series in general. X is quite dark and bloody. If the T.V. series is anything like the movie, it'll be a bit gruesome, but beautifully done.

Ichi the Killer is one, too. Very dark.

I'm hesitant to mention this one, but Fullmetal Alchemist is a great series overall. It's got some funny scenes, and some "forced humor" like you mentioned, but the plot will hopefully drag you in enough it won't matter. ^^
    I loved knowing my heart wouldn't break.
    When you hold the pieces in your hand...
    Do you wish there was something left to hurt?
    And yet...
    I'd let you hurt me all over again...
    Just so that I can always remember what it felt like...
    To be loved by you.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I'm hesitant to mention this one, but Fullmetal Alchemist is a great series overall. It's got some funny scenes, and some "forced humor" like you mentioned, but the plot will hopefully drag you in enough it won't matter. ^^
    Me too, I was wondering whether I should post it. FMA has a lot of comic relief, but a dreary and gloomy storyline to even it out. Very well-done.

Senior Member YunaRen Leader is a jewel in the rough YunaRen Leader is a jewel in the rough YunaRen Leader is a jewel in the rough YunaRen Leader is a jewel in the rough YunaRen Leader's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-05-2006 10:53 PM
    Threads

Well here's some:
    Elfen Lied
    Gasaraki
    Madlax
    Noir

^^ Avatar and Sig by Thornwillow

^^ Sig by Nespa

[K_K]'z Death Plague akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla has a reputation beyond repute akiko_kalla's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by _allismine_
    You're talking about X/1999, right? I heard that's pretty good too.

No, I'm talking about X the TV series. And there are some major differences so if you haven't seen the TV series I recommend it.

Yes, Tokyo Babylon is 7 volumes, but the comic relief is not nearly as blatent as in most animes and mangas in my opinion. In comparison to others, it has relatively little I think and it is very quickly followed up by the much darker overtones of the story. It sets up part of the story for X, which I don't really remember it having much "comic relief" in that sense either. The comic relief in both is mostly situational/dialogue induced, not the streaming tears or sparkling stars type of comedy at all.
    Last edited by akiko_kalla; 04-30-2006 at 11:08 PM.

"For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Member Yzneftamz will become famous soon enough Yzneftamz will become famous soon enough Yzneftamz's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-17-2006 10:21 AM
    Threads

Thanks, y'all. I think I'll be referencing to this topic quite a few times in the future... And possibly commenting some of the series.
    "Poor little sword..." Old blacksmith Godou from Berserk, when looking at Gatsu's sword.

A friend is someone you call to help you move. A real friend is someone you call to help you move a body.

And I HATE smileys.

Member naruto_freak is infamous around these parts naruto_freak is infamous around these parts naruto_freak is infamous around these parts naruto_freak is infamous around these parts naruto_freak is infamous around these parts naruto_freak is infamous around these parts naruto_freak is infamous around these parts naruto_freak is infamous around these parts naruto_freak is infamous around these parts naruto_freak is infamous around these parts naruto_freak is infamous around these parts naruto_freak's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-06-2006 12:32 AM
    Threads

Yu-gi-oh

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yu-gi-oh
    Oh, no you didn't. o_o

Senior Member Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2013 04:52 AM
    The land of hockey, beer, and a plague of corny stereotypes. Oh Canada.
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by _allismine_
    Oh, no you didn't. o_o
    Uhm oh yes he did _allismine_ I don't know if that's supposed to be some sort of twisted joke but yugioh is the last show that comes to mind when the word "serious" comes into play. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and guess that she hasn't watched much anime outside of the Kids WB, YTV scene eh? Well, anyways, I have to agree that FMA is kinda on the line on the whole seriousness thing. There are some spots with some strained humour, but anyone who's watched the series can tell you it's not made for a laugh. Besides that I'll recommend Ghost in the Shell and especially Elfen Lied. The serious animes are usually very well done

--------------------------------------------

Yoo Jaesuk. Korea's loveable fool.
    Awesomely in your face set by Tatty!

"“All he could have; I made him just and right, sufficient to have stood, though free to fall.” - John Milton

:.: Cold As Ice :.: Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2007 10:00 PM
    Threads

Uhm oh yes he did _allismine_ I don't know if that's supposed to be some sort of twisted joke but yugioh is the last show that comes to mind when the word "serious" comes into play. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and guess that she hasn't watched much anime outside of the Kids WB, YTV scene eh? Well, anyways, I have to agree that FMA is kinda on the line on the whole seriousness thing. There are some spots with some strained humour, but anyone who's watched the series can tell you it's not made for a laugh. Besides that I'll recommend Ghost in the Shell and especially Elfen Lied. The serious animes are usually very well done
    HAHA! I can't picture YuGiOh being serious. Next people will be saying that One Piece is serious.
    Shaman King is SORTA serious. I mean it has it's funny parts but it eventually gets VERY serious.
    Yes FMA is serious and sad at the same time. But there are some times that there are some comical moments when theyy just don't fit, but the farther you get into the series, the more serious it gets. TALK ABOUT DEEP in the last few eps. It took me awhile to get all the info into my head. Is ghost in shell good? I've seen it on TV but I didn't think much of it.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal_Alchemist249
    HAHA! I can't picture YuGiOh being serious. Next people will be saying that One Piece is serious.
    Shaman King is SORTA serious. I mean it has it's funny parts but it eventually gets VERY serious.
    Yes FMA is serious and sad at the same time. But there are some times that there are some comical moments when theyy just don't fit, but the farther you get into the series, the more serious it gets. TALK ABOUT DEEP in the last few eps. It took me awhile to get all the info into my head. Is ghost in shell good? I've seen it on TV but I didn't think much of it.
    I like the series, GitS: Stand Alone Complex. It took a couple of episodes to figure out what was going on, but that's because I missed the first few episodes. Once you see what's going on I found it quite interesting.

:.: Cold As Ice :.: Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate is infamous around these parts Aisu Hinate's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2007 10:00 PM
    Threads

I like the series, GitS: Stand Alone Complex. It took a couple of episodes to figure out what was going on, but that's because I missed the first few episodes. Once you see what's going on I found it quite interesting.
    Hmm... I'll have to check out some eps. tonight. It's on after FMA I think.

Member Monika has a reputation beyond repute Monika has a reputation beyond repute Monika has a reputation beyond repute Monika has a reputation beyond repute Monika has a reputation beyond repute Monika has a reputation beyond repute Monika has a reputation beyond repute Monika has a reputation beyond repute Monika has a reputation beyond repute Monika has a reputation beyond repute Monika has a reputation beyond repute Monika's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-24-2006 03:52 AM
    Threads

Well my recommendations are:

Angel Sanctuary
    Samurai Deeper Kyo
    E's Otherwise
    Blue Submarine no6
    Trinity Blood
    Hellsing

"Hope is the thing with featers that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without words - and never stops, at all"

natural tomboy red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2007 08:12 AM
    Threads

Nobody sugested Utawarerumono yet? Then I suppose I will.
    RPG bios (click for more info):

Senior Member Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-12-2019 08:58 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Ashminigun

*joins in the frenzy...

I would recommend you to watch this one: Ergo Proxy. It has all the criteria of a serious anime, dark and deep storyline, GITS -esque and a fresh one in the market.

'nough said...

Senior Member bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2013 08:48 PM
    Threads

Wtich Hunter Robin and Wolf's Rain.

Senior Member Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2013 04:52 AM
    The land of hockey, beer, and a plague of corny stereotypes. Oh Canada.
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal_Alchemist249
    Hmm... I'll have to check out some eps. tonight. It's on after FMA I think.
    It's to me one of those shows that you either love, hate or plain don't understand. Don't feel bad if you don't like it, I'm not a huge fan of serious animes myself. It's an aquired taste I suppose.

Yoo Jaesuk. Korea's loveable fool.
    Awesomely in your face set by Tatty!

"“All he could have; I made him just and right, sufficient to have stood, though free to fall.” - John Milton

Child of the atom Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2007 03:33 PM
    Threads

Two of my all time favorites are macross and zone of the enders, they should be what you're looking for. I would suggest vandread but that does have some slapstick in it.

Junior Member Jumpman is on a distinguished road Jumpman's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2007 09:24 PM
    Threads

ah I know exactly what you need,

it starts with 'Bo' and ends with 'bo'.

Closed Thread

Thread Information