AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. The Simpsons?

Pwns Blackjack Sayoran has much to be proud of Sayoran has much to be proud of Sayoran has much to be proud of Sayoran has much to be proud of Sayoran has much to be proud of Sayoran has much to be proud of Sayoran has much to be proud of Sayoran has much to be proud of Sayoran has much to be proud of Sayoran has much to be proud of Sayoran's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-27-2007 01:04 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Thumbs up R.I.P. The Simpsons?

The Simpsons - the most successful cartoon programme of all time, appealing to viewers of all ages with its many layers of comedy.

Let me explain my motivation for creating this thread:

Ever sinse The Simpsons began, back in 1989 it has been a brilliant show - right up until the late 90s in my opinion, I say this because I have been watching the newer episodes recently, and it's no longer The Simpsons as I used to know it.

The Simpsons have always been a very family-orrientated based show, with often crazy but mild deilemmas for a few or all of the family members to try and get back to normal by the end of the episode, and the story never really went any further than the town of Springfield.

The Simpsons remained on top for many years with little trouble, that is until Family Guy was aired.

Family Guy, based on a middle-class nuclear family is very much a more adult-themed cartoon, with fairly shallow story-lines and many of the jokes revolving around sex or real life politics.

As we all know there was/is great friction between the two shows, but, in reaction to this, in my opinion The Simpsons in order to tackle this rivalry they have just tried to copy Family Guy. For example, with all these "the Simpsons are going to <insert country here>" episodes, with some seemingly pointless weak storyline in order to mock the country to the hilt (i.e. the Chinese adoption episode where Patty [or Selma *o_O*] with the Simpson family goes to adopt a Chinese child). Also, all the jokes on The Simpsons seem to be more and more sexual and adult-themed, as well as the obvious (rather than underlying) sarcastic jokes about politics etc.

Basically I think Family Guy is great, and I think The Simpsons is great - but for different reasons, and I think it should stay that way.

I hope I have conveyed my point effectivley.

So, on the issue of The Simpsons, has the dog had its day - should it just "R.I.P."? Should they return to their old ways or is the new breed of Simpsons just as good if not better than before?

Any reply is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sayoran ^_^

Senior Member Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-27-2010 01:50 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

As I do agree with you that Simpsons and Family Guy are necking eachother down. The Simpsons have change their joke ways because one its the only way to grab attention to the yonger group and its alway about the younger group and two becuase they are running out of ideas.
    You can only keep the mild jokes running for so long that it gets old and tiring.

Like the pervert guy in Family Guy his Gigi gad doo or what ever is so annoying me. And Family Guy on their latest episode was trying way to hard to make someone laugh.
    The only true part that made me laugh was when Stewie had a piece of glass in his head.

"There exist only three respectable beings: the priest, the warrior, the poet. To know, to kill, and to create."-Charles Baudelaire

I lie. Krsnik has a reputation beyond repute Krsnik has a reputation beyond repute Krsnik has a reputation beyond repute Krsnik has a reputation beyond repute Krsnik has a reputation beyond repute Krsnik has a reputation beyond repute Krsnik has a reputation beyond repute Krsnik has a reputation beyond repute Krsnik has a reputation beyond repute Krsnik has a reputation beyond repute Krsnik has a reputation beyond repute Krsnik's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-10-2006 11:00 PM
    Threads

Family guy has completely overtaken the simpson's spotlight. Why? After season 5, the simpsons stopped being funny, and the same routines were done. Over, and over, and over again. They're not politically incorrect, like family guy. Family guy is edgy, and makes people angry. Simpsons is just toilet humor.

Senior Member Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-03-2010 01:32 AM
    Threads

Aww, dang. I thought this thread was saying that Simpsons finally ended.

It wouldn't suck so much if Matt Groening actually had something to do with it other than his name still being attached. Futurama came after Simpsons, and is much better, simply because he was leading it more than just being related to its existence.
    This post has been approved by Dancing Alec™

SPQR Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2009 08:57 PM
    Threads

The Simpsons lost its humour a while ago ... oh well. Maybe they should try something original, cause their jokes lately have been really lame..

I watch Family Guy over Simpsons now, hey that's just how it is - you either stay fresh and keep on top or lose out to something that is

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Aggggh! Don't tease me. I thought Simpsons died for real. That would have been great. I quit watching the Simpsons years ago, because it was obvious they tapped the well dry in the creativity department. But still, it goes on, and on, and on...
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Member bluesoul is on a distinguished road bluesoul's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-30-2006 02:53 PM
    Threads

I still watch the simpsons and I do still like although it has lost many of the strong points it used to have. I watch it when they show those really old episode cause I havent seen them for a long time and its funny to see and understand what couldnt be understood as a young kid. I find it interesting how they can hide such easy jokes from kids to give the parents a laugh but anyway I really like family guy also. I now only have basic cable so I cant watch family guy anymore unless it comes on channel two or three.

Child of the atom Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2007 03:33 PM
    Threads

Died for real, HA! Didn't you know they are making a simpsons movie! About 10 years to late guys. And I agree 300% with whoever said futurama was better.

Heavens Angle Of Darkness shinju hoshi has a reputation beyond repute shinju hoshi has a reputation beyond repute shinju hoshi has a reputation beyond repute shinju hoshi has a reputation beyond repute shinju hoshi has a reputation beyond repute shinju hoshi has a reputation beyond repute shinju hoshi has a reputation beyond repute shinju hoshi has a reputation beyond repute shinju hoshi has a reputation beyond repute shinju hoshi has a reputation beyond repute shinju hoshi has a reputation beyond repute shinju hoshi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-06-2009 07:37 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Sayoran
    The Simpsons - the most successful cartoon programme of all time, appealing to viewers of all ages with its many layers of comedy.

Let me explain my motivation for creating this thread:

Ever sinse The Simpsons began, back in 1989 it has been a brilliant show - right up until the late 90s in my opinion, I say this because I have been watching the newer episodes recently, and it's no longer The Simpsons as I used to know it.

The Simpsons have always been a very family-orrientated based show, with often crazy but mild deilemmas for a few or all of the family members to try and get back to normal by the end of the episode, and the story never really went any further than the town of Springfield.

The Simpsons remained on top for many years with little trouble, that is until Family Guy was aired.

Family Guy, based on a middle-class nuclear family is very much a more adult-themed cartoon, with fairly shallow story-lines and many of the jokes revolving around sex or real life politics.

As we all know there was/is great friction between the two shows, but, in reaction to this, in my opinion The Simpsons in order to tackle this rivalry they have just tried to copy Family Guy. For example, with all these "the Simpsons are going to <insert country here>" episodes, with some seemingly pointless weak storyline in order to mock the country to the hilt (i.e. the Chinese adoption episode where Patty [or Selma *o_O*] with the Simpson family goes to adopt a Chinese child). Also, all the jokes on The Simpsons seem to be more and more sexual and adult-themed, as well as the obvious (rather than underlying) sarcastic jokes about politics etc.

Basically I think Family Guy is great, and I think The Simpsons is great - but for different reasons, and I think it should stay that way.

I hope I have conveyed my point effectivley.

So, on the issue of The Simpsons, has the dog had its day - should it just "R.I.P."? Should they return to their old ways or is the new breed of Simpsons just as good if not better than before?

Any reply is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sayoran ^_^
    true say. i think the simpsons story lines hav lowered in quality. but i still think its WAYYYYYYYY BETTER THEN FAMILY GUY! and i still love the simpsons and to me family guy is just O.K... anyway it normal for the simpsons stories to not be as good as in the begining since there are sooo many eps of it the writers just dont no wat to right about.

SDK lover 4ever
    family in my journal pm me if u wanna join

Senior Member Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I agree with Shinju Hoshi with the fact that the Simpsons is loads better then Family Guy.
    Simpsons has its up and downs and like I said earlier last Simpsons episode made me laugh and Family Guy didn't.

"There exist only three respectable beings: the priest, the warrior, the poet. To know, to kill, and to create."-Charles Baudelaire

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2009 08:17 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

I hate the family guy, but the Simpsons have been dead for years IMO. They should have cancelled ages ago.

Pink is the new Pooky
    Party it up in Wallpapers
    | join the AF Gaia guild!
    "Spilt coffee has a sad remembrance of old"- from a plastic bag seen on the train

musing of a mod : Illuminated Spirits : Theme: uber_pink

SPQR Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I don't get it, why do a few of you dislike Family Guy so?

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sagat
    I don't get it, why do a few of you dislike Family Guy so?
    Its simply this.
    Quagmire I think his name is needs a new phrase or cut off the show. The "Giga Di Giga di goo"
    Thing gets annoying and tiring all the time. Family Guy has to many episodes that don't make me laugh, but more or less "heh" at it or a slight chuckle.
    Simpsons has me crying out tears of laughter sometimes.

[K_K]'z Death Plague PleilA is just really nice PleilA is just really nice PleilA is just really nice PleilA is just really nice PleilA is just really nice PleilA's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-08-2006 08:42 PM
    Threads

sorry guys , the simpsons has been renewed for two more seasons which brings it to season 19 , i read that in the canadian tv guide magazine

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Because the family guy is boring and repetative. I saw it when it first came out and thought it was good, but then it got old quickly.

Pink is the new Pooky
    "Spilt coffee has a sad remembrance of old"- from a plastic bag seen on the train

.:+ </3 +:. Crimson Eyes is a jewel in the rough Crimson Eyes is a jewel in the rough Crimson Eyes is a jewel in the rough Crimson Eyes's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2007 07:02 PM
    Threads

It makes me sad that the simpsons have become this. It was a great show before family guy came around. The simpsons did not need to compete with family guy cause the simpsons were just better. They were funny without being raunchy. Family Guy is a raunchy comedy. It's funny but not as funny as the simpsons. It disappoints me with what has happened to the simpsons. The makers should just stop trying to beat family guy in that kind of comedy they just need to stick to their old ways and they'll be great. They were great back then, they should be great now.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by MistressPookyChan
    Because the family guy is boring and repetative. I saw it when it first came out and thought it was good, but then it got old quickly.
    And the current Simpsons aren't??

The Local Town Boob RandomActs has a reputation beyond repute RandomActs has a reputation beyond repute RandomActs has a reputation beyond repute RandomActs has a reputation beyond repute RandomActs has a reputation beyond repute RandomActs has a reputation beyond repute RandomActs has a reputation beyond repute RandomActs has a reputation beyond repute RandomActs has a reputation beyond repute RandomActs has a reputation beyond repute RandomActs has a reputation beyond repute RandomActs's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-08-2011 04:18 AM
    Threads

Arrow

the simpsons are funny, but futurama is better. familyguy just gets on my nerves sometimes.... but other than that they're ok
    [[This PANDA loves Cookies]]
    Ha! I am back to Green. I shall never steal Again ._.
    For the time being :3

[K_K]'z Death Plague PleilA is just really nice PleilA is just really nice PleilA is just really nice PleilA is just really nice PleilA is just really nice PleilA's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

family guy has always been boring , it was canceled, and how it came back is beyond me

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Sagat
    And the current Simpsons aren't??
    hense the reason why I said that the Simpsons have been dead for years. I also haven't watched the Simpsons in the last 2 years or so, but I don't seem to have been missing much.

Pink is the new Pooky

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

They lost a lot after Conan stopped writing for them, and when they moved to trendy political jabs as a source of jokes

Senior Member Watergnome is infamous around these parts Watergnome is infamous around these parts Watergnome is infamous around these parts Watergnome is infamous around these parts Watergnome is infamous around these parts Watergnome is infamous around these parts Watergnome is infamous around these parts Watergnome is infamous around these parts Watergnome is infamous around these parts Watergnome is infamous around these parts Watergnome is infamous around these parts Watergnome's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-26-2006 09:50 PM
    Threads

i have no idia what the heck you guys are talking about the simpsons havent changed abit!!! there just as funny as ever i watch them every day and always have your all crazy!!! and familyguy just sucks BOREING STUPED AND AGAIN BOREING AND STUPED but i guess some people must think im wrong or it would have been canceled. simpsins =
    Last edited by Watergnome; 04-26-2006 at 09:52 PM.

i need rep points please i have -20000
    (\_/)
    (O.O)
    (> <) help the bunny rule the world put him in your sig NOW!

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

simpsons didnt start out as a funny show, but just as a family sitcom, it is still good even without the funny, people keep thinking its only good if its funny and that is has to be funny, the old old episodes were just as bad as the ones now, not much funny, it was only inbetween a certain time that it became funny and now everyone expects it to be funny all the time

~*+*==HëLLs Fïrë==*+*~ 3BladeDemoness is a name known to all 3BladeDemoness is a name known to all 3BladeDemoness is a name known to all 3BladeDemoness is a name known to all 3BladeDemoness is a name known to all 3BladeDemoness is a name known to all 3BladeDemoness's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2007 08:35 AM
    Threads

Argh, I couldn't agree with you more. Yet what it worse is here is Australia they are soon to premiere The Simpsons Movie!! I will bet you any money it envolves them going to a different country.. -sighs.-

Besides Family Guy is hilarious, especially Stewie. Basically Family Guy has ovetaken The Simpsons, for example::

Stewie = Bart (Stewie gets up to WAY more michevious things than Bart, and has alot more loveable evil in him.)
    Meg = Lisa (There both nerds, yet Meg has more of a teenage quality.)
    Louis = Marge (Even though I think Marge has more of an appealing character she is soo NAGGY. Yet Louis is not, and also is completely oblivious to Stewie's evil deeds!!)
    Peter = Homer (Many ovious reasons why Peter is better >.>)

Anyway thats why Family guy is better 0_o;;
    ~*~Black session in my mind, I keep losing my sleep~*~

..**:~:Gaara,Devil Of The Sand:~:**..

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PleilA
    simpsons didnt start out as a funny show, but just as a family sitcom, it is still good even without the funny, people keep thinking its only good if its funny and that is has to be funny, the old old episodes were just as bad as the ones now, not much funny, it was only inbetween a certain time that it became funny and now everyone expects it to be funny all the time
    What are you talking about? Simpsons was always a comedy. I can go pull out my guide and quote lines if need be. The problem was after 5 or 6 seasons, they ran out of zany new antics for Bart and Gang. So they recycled their old ones (How about we do another episode where bart gets an elephant!?!) and stole from everything that worked for other shows. God, why didn't Simpsons end YEARS ago???
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Closed Thread

Thread Information