AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Dubbed or Subtitled

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dubbed in English

24 26.37%
  • Japanese with Subtitles

67 73.63%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Subtitled or Dubbed?

Child of the atom Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2007 03:33 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Or suffer from dyslexia, or simply aren't a fast reader.
    Or on the off chance you have no desire to read a show that sounds perfectly fine in english.
    Funny fact: American companies actually do a better job at lyp sync then Japanese.
    Another fun fact some fnos actually don't like it acually being matched correctly. And in one case got into a fist fight with a voice actor. God damned otaku.

natural tomboy red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2007 08:12 AM
    Threads

Such is the case for AIR. I would much rather see it subbed than dubbed. They do have dubbed versions which sound very off and the voice over actors con not pronounce the names right.

Since I have seen neither a single Japanese nor American episode of AIR, I can't comment back to you on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Tyranus
    Or on the off chance you have no desire to read a show that sounds perfectly fine in english.
    *Shrug* or that.
    RPG bios (click for more info):

Member iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-22-2006 11:15 AM
    Threads

I personally would go with subs, you get the real deal exactly as the creator of the anime wanted it. I saw how some people say english voice actors do a better job of synching with the lips of the character, you know why? They change the script to make it fit. I mean not drastic changes but little words here and there. I guess some people don't mind, but I do. And they definitly don't show emotion as good as the japanese voice actors, you can't not notice it if you watch an anime in japanese then go to english, I can't stand it. Here's just one example iin particular I disliked, In samurai champloo, Mugen always screams at people and his voice is like one of a kind, the english actor sounded nothing like him and never sounded one bit enthused about anything. Horrible. The only way I would ever watch a dubbed anime again is if they get the original voice actors to learn english and say the same dialogue as they're suposed to and actualy act like they're suposed to. But that won't happen, so that's why I never watch dubbed anime.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by iliveatnightfall
    I personally would go with subs, you get the real deal exactly as the creator of the anime wanted it. I saw how some people say english voice actors do a better job of synching with the lips of the character, you know why? They change the script to make it fit. I mean not drastic changes but little words here and there. I guess some people don't mind, but I do.
    Japanese is hard to translate to english, in the sense that the Japanese grammar does not match English gammar. Unlike most languages, Japanese is not derived from Greek or Latin. Because of this, people translate things differently, but it maintains the same meaning. They are not changing the words.
    Last edited by Gjallarhorn; 03-20-2006 at 06:01 PM.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

A Work In Progress _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-04-2007 06:08 AM
    Threads

Yeah, like "baka" can translate to stupid, idiot, moron, retard, etc.
    One problem with subs is when they translate the suffix "-sama". Japanese use "sama" for anything it could be, to older people, members of royalty, doctors and stuff. So "sama" doesn't have an exact translation; it could mean Mister, Missus, Princess, Prince, King, General, Leader, it's just a sign of respect.

Will Skeith take over? Skeith/Haseo Wave is just really nice Skeith/Haseo Wave is just really nice Skeith/Haseo Wave is just really nice Skeith/Haseo Wave is just really nice Skeith/Haseo Wave's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-01-2007 07:39 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kagekotsu
    Japanese with subtitles. Every anime that is dubbed is completely raped in my opinion.
    My point exactly!
    When I tell my friends that, they look at me wierd

Child of the atom Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

My point exactly!
    When I tell my friends that, they look at me wierd
    Maybe it's because you sound like a filthy filthy otaku when you say crap like that.
    They change the script to make it fit
    Close but no cigar, the reason the english often matches better is because they actually care if it fits or not. Often in japan animation is made before the vocals are done an idea unheard of in american animation. So the reality is if the japanese vocals don't fit just right because of a mix of lazyness and apathy.

Member iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall is on a distinguished road iliveatnightfall's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Well my main point would have been that english voice actors sound like crap anyway, so it doesn't really matter. And if your watching anime on say Cartoon Network, you can't tell me with a straight face that they don't edit dialouge and even cut out scenes to make it "suitable" for americans. I don't watch anything fom there either.

Myself Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2008 12:30 PM
    Threads

Well my main point would have been that english voice actors sound like crap anyway, so it doesn't really matter. And if your watching anime on say Cartoon Network, you can't tell me with a straight face that they don't edit dialouge and even cut out scenes to make it "suitable" for americans. I don't watch anything fom there either.
    They don't cut out scenes from Trigun. Dialogue is edited, so it's English instead of Japanese. I haven't watched enough of any of the other shows to know for sure, but I'm assuming it's very similar.

Animepedia.com -- Part of the Anime Globe network.
    Come share your wealth of anime knowledge with the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Jack of Blades~ View Post
    Because evaporation is a ninja ...so you can't see it =o
    You know it's true.

You leave a glass of water, turn your back and WH-WH-WH-WH-WHAM! You've got 5 shurikens in your back.

Member Janethan23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past Janethan23's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-20-2006 03:54 AM
    Threads

Default Dubbing is also a form of censorship

I agree
    One of the main reasons that I forgot to mention in my post earlier was that other companies that are in charge of translating anime are also playing the role of censors. We got to admit that Japanese anime can be brutal and vulgar when it comes to depicting sex and violence. Whatever the category whether it's comedy, romance, suspense, horror, mecha, space etc. The Japanese are miles away from their western counterparts so I'm not usually surprised if they give an anime a makeover or overhaul just to make it acceptable to the american public.

It’s only lately that we see cartoons that are can be deemed offensive and disturbing are The Simpson’s, Family Guy, Drawn Together and South Park to name a few. Even though they have these cartoons of late it still falls short to what their Asian counterparts are capable of doing.

How much power
    will I need to exert
    to make you see you're wrong?

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

EXACTLY! That is what I meant when I said change the script

Banned Forum / Chat ~Riyana~ has a spectacular aura about ~Riyana~ has a spectacular aura about ~Riyana~'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-20-2006 10:12 AM
    Threads

I dont care, either works for me, ^^' I'm more of a mangta person anyhow

Nanobyte's minion Trinity Muse has a reputation beyond repute Trinity Muse has a reputation beyond repute Trinity Muse has a reputation beyond repute Trinity Muse has a reputation beyond repute Trinity Muse has a reputation beyond repute Trinity Muse has a reputation beyond repute Trinity Muse has a reputation beyond repute Trinity Muse has a reputation beyond repute Trinity Muse has a reputation beyond repute Trinity Muse has a reputation beyond repute Trinity Muse has a reputation beyond repute Trinity Muse's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Moon Crystal Locket Cheese Cake
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-02-2015 03:20 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I prefer subs. You can can listen to the original japanese voices and read the translations in english. But well, there are Dubbed versions that aren't complitely ruined.
    P.S. I hate the dubbed version of Shaman king. 4kids really screwed it up.
    Set by me

Myself Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

There are some shows that were brought over to America, and modified to make them suitable for children. Sailor Moon, for example, was chopped up a bit so that children's networks felt comfortable showing it during their regular programming. This is different from the more adult-themed programs previously mentioned.

If you notice, Family Guy shows on Adult Swim, an adult oriented time slot on Cartoon Network. Along with that is Samurai Champloo, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Neon Genesis Evangelion, etc. There is some censorship involved from the original dub to the "suitable for tv" dub. The differences between the dubs and subs are usually MINIMAL.

Those of you who believe that all dubbed anime is censored are no more right than the people who believe ridiculous stereotypes about different cultures. Show some respect for the art of a whole anime show, no matter which language is coming from your little television speakers. In most cases, they mean the same thing.

You know it's true.

You leave a glass of water, turn your back and WH-WH-WH-WH-WHAM! You've got 5 shurikens in your back.

A Work In Progress _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_ is infamous around these parts _allismine_'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yeah! And if you want the uncensored version you could always buy / rent / download / watch off of youtube.com ^_^

~`*Soul Reaper*`~ Dosu-Ichigo is infamous around these parts Dosu-Ichigo is infamous around these parts Dosu-Ichigo is infamous around these parts Dosu-Ichigo is infamous around these parts Dosu-Ichigo is infamous around these parts Dosu-Ichigo is infamous around these parts Dosu-Ichigo is infamous around these parts Dosu-Ichigo is infamous around these parts Dosu-Ichigo is infamous around these parts Dosu-Ichigo is infamous around these parts Dosu-Ichigo is infamous around these parts Dosu-Ichigo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2006 06:46 PM
    Threads

Subbed whoops dubbed asss any day.

Member Janethan23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past Janethan23's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-20-2006 03:54 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Member Name
    There are some shows that were brought over to America, and modified to make them suitable for children. Sailor Moon, for example, was chopped up a bit so that children's networks felt comfortable showing it during their regular programming. This is different from the more adult-themed programs previously mentioned.

If you notice, Family Guy shows on Adult Swim, an adult oriented time slot on Cartoon Network. Along with that is Samurai Champloo, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Neon Genesis Evangelion, etc. There is some censorship involved from the original dub to the "suitable for tv" dub. The differences between the dubs and subs are usually MINIMAL.

Those of you who believe that all dubbed anime is censored are no more right than the people who believe ridiculous stereotypes about different cultures. Show some respect for the art of a whole anime show, no matter which language is coming from your little television speakers. In most cases, they mean the same thing.
    As long as there are cultural differences in morality there will always be changes to an anime when it gets dubbed. Minimal or not I would prefer what the creators of the anime wanted it to be simply because it is their art or way expression of how they view things rather than see what other people with different interest view it. It's a pity that what's good for Japanese TV isn't usually good for other TV outside Japan.
    _allismine_ said earlier that why not buy, rent or even download to avoid censorship all in all but that’s not the point entirely. We should get to watch these Anime made for TV uncut but classified (G, PG, M, MA15+, R18+) and given their appropriate timeslot the way the Japanese do it for their TV audience. Don't fix what isn't broken. No to censorship.

How much power
    will I need to exert
    to make you see you're wrong?

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Janethan23
    As long as there are cultural differences in morality there will always be changes to an anime when it gets dubbed. Minimal or not I would prefer what the creators of the anime wanted it to be simply because it is their art or way expression of how they view things rather than see what other people with different interest view it. It's a pity that what's good for Japanese TV isn't usually good for other TV outside Japan.
    _allismine_ said earlier that why not buy, rent or even download to avoid censorship all in all but that’s not the point entirely. We should get to watch these Anime made for TV uncut but classified (G, PG, M, MA15+, R18+) and given their appropriate timeslot the way the Japanese do it for their TV audience. Don't fix what isn't broken. No to censorship.
    Don't be ridiculous. That's not true at all. Read my post again, and notice the examples I gave that supported what I said. If you have specific examples within these, be my guest in pointing them out, but so far, all you've said is that "dubbing = censorship" which I've already shown why not.

You know it's true.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Tonight I decided to watch marcoss 2 in its japanese form. And while it beats the holy hell out of the absolutely miserable dub the show recieved it still brought out the same things I hated about watching subbed anime. For starters my eyes are always being drawn to the bottom of the screen to read the dialog, which makes it harder to admire the art style and animation, in the case of macross 2 both happen to be beautiful. Some of the lines flowed better and made a little bit more sense, but I liked the "you would turn on your god" line from the dub better than "you would destroy your master" in the sub.

And my final complaint is the japanese language has almost no range it's either chirpy or angry, that's really it. And it can be grading on my nerves after a while. So in the end it beat the dub (wasn't hard) but if I can stand the dub the sub will never get turned on.

Daisuke's #1 fan DNAngelDaisuke is infamous around these parts DNAngelDaisuke is infamous around these parts DNAngelDaisuke is infamous around these parts DNAngelDaisuke is infamous around these parts DNAngelDaisuke is infamous around these parts DNAngelDaisuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-23-2006 06:37 PM
    Threads

I agree all the way. I have both japanese with subtitles and dubbed of fruits basket. i like the japanese way better any way i hate reading it...

Junior Member Sakky will become famous soon enough Sakky will become famous soon enough Sakky's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-24-2006 06:42 PM
    Threads

Subtitled all the way.
    It's just, better.

Quote Originally Posted by _allismine_
    Yeah! And if you want the uncensored version you could always buy / rent / download / watch off of youtube.com ^_^
    Haha, yay for Youtube! <3
    That's where I watch most of my anime.
    I mean, I've downloaded some.
    But it's just easier to watch it on there.
    かさんどら。

Tai's Wifey <3 Reika Yagami has a reputation beyond repute Reika Yagami has a reputation beyond repute Reika Yagami has a reputation beyond repute Reika Yagami has a reputation beyond repute Reika Yagami has a reputation beyond repute Reika Yagami has a reputation beyond repute Reika Yagami has a reputation beyond repute Reika Yagami has a reputation beyond repute Reika Yagami has a reputation beyond repute Reika Yagami has a reputation beyond repute Reika Yagami has a reputation beyond repute Reika Yagami's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-12-2006 01:20 AM
    Threads

well, i really like dubbed one but, the japanese w/ subtitles are also great. in my opinion english dub were also good and not that too shabby. but sometimes Subbing is better.

NOTE: Please PM to me if you would like to request make sig and avi.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yes, yes, I retract my previous statement. Not ALL the dubbed anime suck. Just about 65% of them. ^_^

Keeper Of Dreams ♪ Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara has a reputation beyond repute Miyukara's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-24-2009 03:03 AM
    Threads

I don't really have a preference, just whichever I first saw the anime as, I don't like having seen a subbed anime and then watching it dubbed, vice versa. I'm really picky about how they sound and when you watch one version and then the other they don't sound the same and that drives me crazy....<.<

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yes, yes, I retract my previous statement. Not ALL the dubbed anime suck. Just about 65% of them. ^_^
    Or how about just 65% of the awful shows you watch.

Closed Thread

Thread Information