AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What is a Noob?

Illusionist Lon Lon Lon Lon Lon Lon Lon Lon Lon Lon Lon Lon's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-04-2009 07:00 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default What is a Noob?

We see it every day. People in chat or on the boards insulting other users by calling them a "noob". Or even in your favorite online game "'ing noob" this and "stupid nub that". It is like noob has become the newest derogitory word of the century. Much like Jew or any other racially derogitory term was of yesterday.

We all were noobs at some point. But somehow as if by magic we stopped being a noob and became normal. We caught onto not only how the social structure of our online enviroment worked but we also adjusted to the enviroment, mastering its physics, systems of government, polotics, and everything else that comes with it. In gaming terms- we also learned how to master the commands nessessary to progress in ranks to achieve glory and god-hood. Yet, the more experienced players are always quick to point out the newness of others.

What is this compelling urge we all have to declare someone new to something and then taunt them for it? Why is it that some players who are new are "cool" while other players seem to be the appitomy of what a noob is? What is the quality that people who are noobs have in common? Is it possible to identify this quality and then through knowledge and awareness help prevent others from being labled as a noob? Frankly, I don't know.

After being involved in the game industry for over 15 years at diffrent levels, I've seen many noobs come and go. Some went on to become respectable players or chatters, others have fallen by the way side. I myself have been a noob many times with each new game I go to play. In all my years of experience I've noticed that there is one major element that seems to be common ground to the most natorious of noobs that are on the net. Stupidity.

I don't mean to insult the player or chatter by calling them stupid. By no means is it to be assumed that the user is of below average intellegance. I'm sure that in their own life, or school setting they are either quite average or maybe even a little above average. Yet average as their life may be it doesn't go to support their noobish causes when they engage into social interactions within their chosen enviroment. Either through game mechanics or social taboos the noobish of noobs seem to repeatedly engage in actions that are repeatedly bashed into their skulls as not acceptable within that form of entertainment. Amazingly though, some of them never learn. The question is why?

In game terms, perhaps it is easier to accept a noobs mistakes. After all the gaming industry has come lightyears from its 8 bit graphics 8 button controllers of the NES days. Now we have games with more commands, bells, and whistles than you can shake a light gun at. I doubt even Capt'N would be a master of any of these modern games now days. Certainly there is a learning curve involved when you take up a new game as a past time. The noobs who are making mistakes that irritate players in these types of games can be understood. It is hard to get going when you play a game for the first time so begging for gold or items may seem like your only viable option to get anywhere close to knowing what to do. Or perhaps it will take you a 100 times of shooting your own team mates before you learn to identify what an enemy looks like. Are those the only reasons there are to lable someone a noob as if you were calling them a Parentaly Promiscuous person? If it still goes on after several months maybe.

What about chat rooms, or forums? What determains a noob here? Is it someone who doesn't follow the rules from the start? WHo doesn't bother to read they overly complicated or unnessesarly long list of do's and don'ts? Or is it someone who spams for no reason? Sometimes, people honestly don't know what the proper thing to do is. Just because it is posted, and they failed to read it, does that automaticly make them at fault? If so, does that automaticly make them a noob? Maybe it does it it goes to extremes.

A noob can also be someone who cheats to establish themself within their chosen forum, weather it be a game or a chat room. Hackers, L337ist, they have many names. The older players or chatters often get irritated that they spent X amount of time and energy, sometimes money, to get to a position within their chosen forum and to have some new user walk in, use a cheat, and best them is just nothing more than a cold hard slap in the face. Maybe this is the final true deffenition of what a noob is? Someone who cheats to get ahead in their game or forum. But if that is so, why not call them a cheater, or a hack. Why do we resort to calling them a noob?

To bring this to a close, as I have illistrated, we have many situations out there in cyberspace in which someone could fall into the "noob" catagory. In some cases, the insult can be warrented, in others maybe not so much. What do you think? What makes a noob? is the insult over used? Or perhaps not used enough?

Wild Card! SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI's Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Gifts Fedora Cylon 1970s
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-06-2017 02:05 PM
    Threads

Lon, you have won a lot of respect from me, I completely agree virtually 100% with what you said. And I just wanted to contribute some thoughts to this topic, which is why I am sure you posted it.

I personally believe n00b (and all it’s variations) is an incredibly overused, although appropriate expression. Personally I tend to use it in two terms “newbie” and “n00b”

In my personal dialogue, a newbie is somebody who is obviously new to the various medium, be it gaming, forum posting etc and has yet had the opportunity to attain knowledge of the required etiquette, but are trying to find it. The sort who at first type some one worded reply such as “LOL” to a forum post, get scolded by the relevant moderator and don’t do it again. Newbies are unfamiliar with the territory, but they have the common decency to learn not only the written, but unwritten rules of the internet.

A n00b, on the other hand, I personally consider to be somebody who completely ignore the moderator mentioned in the previous example. They are the sort who believe they are “to cool” to listen to others. They go about ignoring etiquette, they are the sort who in a team based online game, shoot their own team mates because they find it funny.

Unfortunately, n00b is thrown around far too much. I put it under the category of fag, as the sort of insult somebody uses in an argument when they run out of things to say. If I ever argue with somebody and they start throwing around random insults like that, I usually ignore them, they clearly have nothing more to say.

But in closing, it seems the nature of the internet means not only do we get to talk and interact with people on the other side of the world, but also there are as many annoying brats in other towns, cities and countries as in your own.

Moderator/Chat Admin Missy has a reputation beyond repute Missy has a reputation beyond repute Missy has a reputation beyond repute Missy has a reputation beyond repute Missy has a reputation beyond repute Missy has a reputation beyond repute Missy has a reputation beyond repute Missy has a reputation beyond repute Missy has a reputation beyond repute Missy has a reputation beyond repute Missy has a reputation beyond repute Missy's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Moon Crescent Wand Batteries 007 - Squirtle
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-16-2014 04:10 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Leyzee PSN ID: Leyzors Steam ID: Leyzee

Hmm. Well well.
    I am not going to lie, I have used that term a couple of times. But I never really used it as to make someone feel low like most people would do. I never even heard that term before until I played an online PC game late last year. Since then, I've been seeing that term being thrown around everywhere.

I mean, if I was new to some place... for example, a forum or a new game.. I really wouldn't want to hear someone saying "OMG she's such a stupid noob!!" I mean, yes okay I am new but just the sound/tone of it would make me feel out of place, slightly insulted, etc. There will always be someone who is brand new, still adjusting to things, makes a small mistake.. and then get branded a "noob" by an older member/player. I really don't think it should be used if you are just going to insult someone or make them feel lower than you, but that's not always going to happen, I know. With the ego-trips and the experienced "power" or what-not.

Though, I have yet to see more than 2 people complain about it when they've been called a "noob" So I'm guessing it's not that much of a big deal to newcomers these days.

Anyway, those are my current thoughts... as confusing as it may have been.
    Last edited by Missy; 11-16-2005 at 05:40 AM.

Signature brought to you by Balance.

Pocky muncher #1 ^_^ Chi#1 is infamous around these parts Chi#1 is infamous around these parts Chi#1 is infamous around these parts Chi#1 is infamous around these parts Chi#1 is infamous around these parts Chi#1 is infamous around these parts Chi#1 is infamous around these parts Chi#1 is infamous around these parts Chi#1 is infamous around these parts Chi#1 is infamous around these parts Chi#1 is infamous around these parts Chi#1's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-27-2008 10:09 PM
    Lost on Cloud 9* yes the one with the silver lining*
    Threads

wow....who ever thought that someone would expand on such a simple topic about noobs... i too use that word...but only when needed ..like if someone is acting extremely stupid i ask them if they are noObs.Some how it seems people say it b/c it makes them feel higher in rank compared to other poeple..I agree that everyone is a noob at everything at one point in thier life...its just natural.When it all comes down to it they're just talking about the experience they have i guess.
    I WANT YOU TO BAD REP ME....PLEASE!

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

This is BunnyCopy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

keeper of hearts Lady V is just really nice Lady V is just really nice Lady V is just really nice Lady V is just really nice Lady V's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2006 04:30 AM
    Threads

I think "noob" can go out to anybody who is new to anything they're joining, whether they've had experience in that category or area. I think it determines on their abilities to prove to others why they shouldn't be a noob.

=P

C++ Addict Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2006 05:22 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I totally agree with you Lon, you'll get reps for this

In my eyes, noobs are inexperienced newbies.
    I never use the word to someone I don't know, only to my friends (Or atleast hopefully I do).
    To my friends is merely a joke, to show that "You didn't know this, I did!".
    I never use it as an insult.
    I live in Switzerland!

Senior Member youko_kurama16 will become famous soon enough youko_kurama16's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-12-2007 01:48 AM
    Threads

a noob is my world is a really really bad fighter ,see i rp fight .i can pritty much do anything is my chat .like a year ago i got marryed than we had a fight and broke up a few months later so a noob <back on the sub>is a bad fighter in my world or in yours a new player

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

I've always hated the word "noob". Or n00b or whatever! (what's witht the 0s instead of the os?) I completely agree with you dude, I feel for all the noobs out there. Although admittingly some are retarded and need a scolding (like one posted random letters 5 times in a row in a thread).

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

Missing In Action! MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife's Avatar
    Gil
    Sneaky
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-07-2014 03:57 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CloudStrifee PSN ID: MistaCloudStrife

Atcha...

I'm going to be honest...

I couldn't read all of that... I mean... Going in-depth about something as simple as the word "Noob"... Yeah.... So I skipped it and I'm going on to my reply... Although I might repeat a couple things youve said and sound lyke A tOtel NoOb...

Anyway...

A noob is basically just an informal(And usually rude) way of calling someone new... Umm... "Noob" can be used differently depending on where (usually online) the "noob-calling" takes place...

On online games... Noobs are people that don't know what they're doing... Or they can just be people that know what they're doing but just... aren't good. Of course this bereaks down AGAIN...

Say theres someone who just started playing this online game... NOW theres YOU... Say you've been playing for 6 months... In your mind this guy is a noob... NOW say you're going against some guy that has played this game way more than you... Say he's a complete pro... Now in his mine YOU may be the noob...

Seeing people as Noobs is just an opinion...

And... I'm sleepy and I don't know what I'm talking about now... Lol... I'm cutting this post short and posting it right now...

Good night everyone... <_<;

Senior Member Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-12-2019 08:58 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Ashminigun

*joins in the frenzy...

Whoa.... very in-depth and detail explaination on the meaning of "noob" or "n00b", Lon.

I kinda agree with Don's definitions of "n00b" and "newbie".

Everyone has it's own definiton on the meaning of "noob". Anyway, this noob-calling is kinda a social-hierarchy thingy of the net when someone fresh and new in the field or newly enlist into a forum/chat/online gaming with they are not familiar with the surroundings and the rules written or not in the field. Most of them don't have any connection or friends in the field. They tend to do mistakes that the seniors or mods found not too appleasing with it and been gave a "proper" show how on do's and don'ts in the field. After that, either they learn and build a good rep also gain respect on other members new or old alike or they continue with their ignorance and continue their own way.

That's mine own definition.

Everyone has to start somewhere. We once a newbie right? We learnt our way around this forum for example, all the stuff you must know, knowing the mods and admin that in charge and learn their way of moderating etc. I once a fresh newbie and learnt thru' experience and some bad rep to survive in this forum. It's a learning experience as well as boarden our mind.

It's all 'bout preception like Mista said.

My brain can't squeeze any good point to post here. I will stop right here.

'nough said...

The weasel God sjřpřlse has a brilliant future sjřpřlse has a brilliant future sjřpřlse has a brilliant future sjřpřlse has a brilliant future sjřpřlse has a brilliant future sjřpřlse has a brilliant future sjřpřlse has a brilliant future sjřpřlse has a brilliant future sjřpřlse has a brilliant future sjřpřlse has a brilliant future sjřpřlse has a brilliant future sjřpřlse's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-14-2006 08:26 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Lon, reviewed by me
    We see it every day. People in chat or on the boards insulting other users by calling them a "noob". Or even in your favorite online game "'ing noob" this and "stupid nub that". It is like noob has become the newest derogatory word of the century. Much like Jew or any other racially derogatory term was of yesterday.

We all were noobs at some point. But most of us evolved to a point of understanding of online ethics and stopped being n00bs. In gaming terms- we also learned how to master the commands nessessary to progress. Yet, the more experienced players are always quick to point out the newness of others.

How come do some feel compelled to label new users as n00bs, whereas other newbies won't be? Is it possible to identify a quality common to all n00bs, to then prevent overusing the term? Frankly, I don't know.

After being involved in the game industry for over 15 years, at different levels, I've seen many noobs come and go. Some went on to become respectable players or chatters, others have fallen by the way side. I myself have been a noob many times with each new game I go to play. I've noticed that there is one major element that seems to be common ground to the most notorious of noobs on the net: Stupidity.

I don't mean to insult users, for they might just be of average, or superior average intelligence elsewhere. Although they can be average in their life, it is no matter to excuse their noobish behaviour, such as repeated offenses that were repeatedly reported, explained. Why don't they ever learn?

As the gaming industry evolves rapidly and more complexly, we can understand the dismay of some newbies. You sometimes often repeat the same mistakes, that irritate older users, before fully comprehending. Are those the only reasons there are to lable someone a noob? If it still goes on after several months, maybe.

What makes a noob in a chatroom or a forum? Is it someone who does not read and follow the rules from the start, or someone who spams for no reason? Sometimes, people honestly don't know what the proper thing to do is. Just because it is posted, and they failed to read it, does that automatically make them faulty noobs? Maybe it does if it goes to extremes.

A noob can also be someone who cheats to establish themself within their chosen forum, whether it be a game or a chat room. Hackers, L337ist, they have many names. Maybe this is the final true definition of what a noob is? Someone who cheats to get ahead in their game or forum. But if that is so, why not call them a cheater, or a hack. Why do we resort to calling them a noob?

To bring this to a close, as I have illustrated, we have many situations out there in cyberspace in which someone could fall into the "noob" category. In some cases, the insult can be deserved, in others, maybe not so much. What do you think? What makes a noob? Is the insult overused? Or perhaps not used enough?
    An even shorter way to say that all would have been:

The term "noob" becomes more and more used, perhaps overly. What makes a noob a noob, and whence comes that urge to call everyone who are clumsy with internet "rules" a "noob"?

Remember, as sad as it might be, if your text is half shorter, it'll be twice more read.

About the question now:

I think the reason we feel compelled, as regular users, to call some users "noob" is to reinstate our state of older members, thus gaining the authority of elders, and having the right to speak in a paternalist way to those newbies. However, I agree the term is overly used.

The common thing to noobs is probably their stubborness in not following a given place's ethics and uses.
    -I have an hangover and two liters of coffee in the body: I'm at the top of my efficiency.-
    If I love trains it is probably because they go faster than burials.
    The best thing about weasels is that they don't turn into pickles when they are you.

Some Old Cliché g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-23-2006 01:56 PM
    Threads

Well I just read way too much. My brain hurts. But I digress.

Because I only remember half of what I read, I'm not sure if it's been said, but my idea of what a "n00b" is is quite simple. A "n00b" -in my books- is someone who doesn't know what they're doing or talking about.

-In online games, they could be a level 2, or they could be a level 200, but if they have no idea what they're talking about, and don't have any idea how to do things properly, they're a n00b

-In forums, they could have 2 posts, or 2000 posts (for lack of a better example), but if they don't understand and don't follow the rules, and if they have no idea how the forum works, then they are a n00b.

I think it's not really the 'new' people that are considered "n00bs" but the younger and less educated people. Theolder you are, the more likely you are to understand concepts and read rules, where as if you're younger you're more likely to fail to understand things, and not read the rules that are posted to help you.

Meh, my hat's off to you Lon, fantastic thread

Aifa bistowed rice upon me... has he bestowed it upon you?

Child of the atom Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2007 03:33 PM
    Threads

Noobies tend to ruin a lot of online games, you can chalk it up to inexperience or sheer incompetence. Doesn't really matter they still do it. Senior players can do it to but these folks are generally just but monkeys anyway. You know the people who often get booted from every server.

But i have never and will never understand why the forum noob became popular on forums. It makes no sense, being new doesn't make your views any less valid than some guy who has been there 3 years. And really do you suddenly get mad forum skills after posting for a year? No, you can still be an idiot. Lots of folks here (mista cloud strife for example) have been here for years and are still clinically retarded.

The spawn of Lou Barlow! Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-22-2010 08:10 PM
    Threads

I'm sorry, I couldn't read all that. I think I have some form of ADD that might have contributed to my lazy-ness. ~.~

Well, I see a few people here with the same idea of what a n00b is as I have. Basically, to me, a n00b is someone that doesn't know what they're doing, or doesn't know what they should be doing. Someone that isn't familiar with rules or regulations of an area, or knows them and just doesn't pay attention.

You can tell whether or not a person will be able to grasp a concept or not pretty quickly when you're in an online game or on a forum. At least I can, I think.

Owned by Pyro <3 *insertjapanesenamehere* is a splendid one to behold *insertjapanesenamehere* is a splendid one to behold *insertjapanesenamehere* is a splendid one to behold *insertjapanesenamehere* is a splendid one to behold *insertjapanesenamehere* is a splendid one to behold *insertjapanesenamehere* is a splendid one to behold *insertjapanesenamehere* is a splendid one to behold *insertjapanesenamehere* is a splendid one to behold *insertjapanesenamehere*'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2007 09:22 PM
    Threads

noobs to me are nothing more than new ppl that i get to help, make friends with, talk to, bug to death, etc. they're coo with mel most of the time, and i dont use the term to make them feel less than those who arent so new. they're all ppl, new or not new doesnt matter to me. it's just a fun word to use in my opinion. but if someone asked me to stop using that word to them i would no prob.

"Idle hands are the devil's playground..."

Sanjuro, not an Aeon Yojimbo51 is infamous around these parts Yojimbo51 is infamous around these parts Yojimbo51 is infamous around these parts Yojimbo51 is infamous around these parts Yojimbo51 is infamous around these parts Yojimbo51 is infamous around these parts Yojimbo51 is infamous around these parts Yojimbo51 is infamous around these parts Yojimbo51 is infamous around these parts Yojimbo51 is infamous around these parts Yojimbo51 is infamous around these parts Yojimbo51's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-20-2006 10:01 PM
    Threads

I think that the term noob is flawed. The fact that it's derived from leet... sorry, 1337speak doesn't help. My problem with the word is that it's so often typed with letters.

But the main thing I have against the term is how often it's used. I remember when a south korean kid moved to my area and entered my school, some of the people who thought they were really cool called him a newbie. I swear to god, the sheer stupidity exuded in that statement made me want to throw a few of them down some stairs.

So, in essence, a noob is a very stupid name that stupid people assign to someone who knows less about something than they do.

Ich brauche Zeit, kein Heroin, kein Alkohol, kein Nikotin, brauch keine Hilf, kein Koffein, doch Dynamit und Turpentin. Ich brauche Geld fur Gasolin, explosiv wie Kerosin, mit viel Oktan, und frei von Blei.
    Eine Kraftstoff wie Benzin

Senior Member LittleMomo has a reputation beyond repute LittleMomo has a reputation beyond repute LittleMomo has a reputation beyond repute LittleMomo has a reputation beyond repute LittleMomo has a reputation beyond repute LittleMomo has a reputation beyond repute LittleMomo has a reputation beyond repute LittleMomo has a reputation beyond repute LittleMomo has a reputation beyond repute LittleMomo has a reputation beyond repute LittleMomo has a reputation beyond repute LittleMomo's Avatar
    Gil
    Breezy
    Gifts Manekineko Kill Bill Katana 133 - Eevee
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-15-2014 09:30 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I know how you feel. To be honest, I have never used that word before. I heard the word though.
    Careful, I don't take you lightly.
    Sig set made by Daken

Missing In Action! MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife has a reputation beyond repute MistaCloudStrife's Avatar
    Gil
    Sneaky
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-07-2014 03:57 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CloudStrifee PSN ID: MistaCloudStrife

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Tyranus
    (mista cloud strife for example)
    I believe you're just upset because I'm one of the few people that either ignore or don't care for alot of your BS comments and opinions... ^_~

Although you may be right SOMETIMES... Whether you're right OR WRONG... You always take the most childish ways of approaching things... Read your above post if you disagree...

Yeah thats right... *Rolls eyes*

The fact that it's derived from leet
    n00b is not derived from leet... It's derived form the word "Newbie"...

And 1337 is derived from "Elite"...

They came from actual words... They weren't just made up out of thin air... They actually CAME from somewhere...

Child of the atom Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus has a reputation beyond repute Darth Tyranus's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I believe you're just upset because I'm one of the few people that either ignore or don't care for alot of your BS comments and opinions... ^_~

Although you may be right SOMETIMES... Whether you're right OR WRONG... You always take the most childish ways of approaching things... Read your above post if you disagree...

Yeah thats right... *Rolls eyes*
    Mista i don't like you because you're an ******* fan boy, not because what i say doesn't bother you. And regarding my childishness i enjoy making fun of people, is that childish? Could be; i always just fancied myself as being mean spirited.

Junior Member Enrasi Rema is on a distinguished road Enrasi Rema's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-17-2005 08:34 AM
    Threads

There are two different types of "n00b". There is the "newb" which is merely a newbie, someone who knows little about the game or the online features of a game. It is not, in my opinion, morally correct to classify this class as "n00bs".

The "n00b"(Dun dun dun), the annoying and generally hated penacle of stupidity. They seem incapable of winning or learning. A "n00b" tends to do all he can to hinder his team's efforts, ultimately causing his/her team to lose the game/match. Cheaters are also classified as "n00bs". You wont believe some of the stories ive heard at noobstories.com.
    Ocean and star
    Each am I
    Broken my wings
    And yet I fly

Mr. 4th of July's Lady Mistress Koneko has a reputation beyond repute Mistress Koneko has a reputation beyond repute Mistress Koneko has a reputation beyond repute Mistress Koneko has a reputation beyond repute Mistress Koneko has a reputation beyond repute Mistress Koneko has a reputation beyond repute Mistress Koneko has a reputation beyond repute Mistress Koneko has a reputation beyond repute Mistress Koneko has a reputation beyond repute Mistress Koneko has a reputation beyond repute Mistress Koneko has a reputation beyond repute Mistress Koneko's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-12-2006 09:31 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Don SGI
    Lon, you have won a lot of respect from me, I completely agree virtually 100% with what you said. And I just wanted to contribute some thoughts to this topic, which is why I am sure you posted it.

I personally believe n00b (and all it’s variations) is an incredibly overused, although appropriate expression. Personally I tend to use it in two terms “newbie” and “n00b”

In my personal dialogue, a newbie is somebody who is obviously new to the various medium, be it gaming, forum posting etc and has yet had the opportunity to attain knowledge of the required etiquette, but are trying to find it. The sort who at first type some one worded reply such as “LOL” to a forum post, get scolded by the relevant moderator and don’t do it again. Newbies are unfamiliar with the territory, but they have the common decency to learn not only the written, but unwritten rules of the internet.

A n00b, on the other hand, I personally consider to be somebody who completely ignore the moderator mentioned in the previous example. They are the sort who believe they are “to cool” to listen to others. They go about ignoring etiquette, they are the sort who in a team based online game, shoot their own team mates because they find it funny.

Unfortunately, n00b is thrown around far too much. I put it under the category of fag, as the sort of insult somebody uses in an argument when they run out of things to say. If I ever argue with somebody and they start throwing around random insults like that, I usually ignore them, they clearly have nothing more to say.

But in closing, it seems the nature of the internet means not only do we get to talk and interact with people on the other side of the world, but also there are as many annoying brats in other towns, cities and countries as in your own.
    That is how I view n00b and newbie as well.

Why don't fingers fing? Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii has a reputation beyond repute Kewii's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-15-2009 01:19 AM
    Threads

Knock it off Mista and Darth. First and only warning before I close this.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Fine by me, i have said everything i need to.

Rina'z Plague is back!! animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-12-2008 10:28 AM
    Threads

well.. a noob is basically a newbie.. there is not much offense in saying that.. but by th way you compared it with other topics.. it is a lot of offenses for you... dont mind it.. it is just a way of calling someone new in a place..

^I'm a cold vanilla milkshake with poison in it.^
    ^Please take a sip.^

can you make me a siggy and avvy set?
    im collecting. pm me if you can.
    thanks!

--my collection--

Illusionist Lon Lon Lon Lon Lon Lon Lon Lon Lon Lon Lon Lon's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-04-2009 07:00 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by animeseishi
    well.. a noob is basically a newbie.. there is not much offense in saying that.. but by th way you compared it with other topics.. it is a lot of offenses for you... dont mind it.. it is just a way of calling someone new in a place..
    This is so true if it were only the case. Sure. A newbie or Noob is just slang for someone new to an enviroment, be it forums, chat rooms, or games. However Newbie or Noob holds as much derogitory weight as some of the more nasty racial slurrs now days. Spick, Jew, Honkie, Cracker being examples of such. And please, I mean no offense to anyone of these races. It is mearly an illistration. The term Noob is flung about as an insult. It's usage is not as pure as you make it sound. While in its origional intent it means somone who is new, I think you attempt to be a little -too- optomistic in your views on this subject. Of course, comunism in its original concept sounded like a good idea as well and just look where that one got us! My dear, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

As for reguard to myself. Noob doesn't offend me personally. I try to minimize the usage of the word in my own dialogs and I'm not overly insulted when I'm called one. And trust me, I've been called a noob many times. We all have to start out somewhere. I just try to minimize my time spent as a noob in what ever my endevor is as much as possible.

Closed Thread

Thread Information