AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: The Two Minute Silence

This is my AWESOME face! Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-17-2009 06:54 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default The Two Minute Silence

On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918, the guns of Europe went quiet. 6 hours earlier, the Armistice was signed in a railway carriage in the Forest of Compiegne, France. After 4 long bloody years of fighting, the Great War was finaly over. One year later, on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, people in Britian and the Commonwealth bowed their heads in silence to remember the fallen soldiers. This day was called Armistice Day. After the Second World War, the day was changed to Rememberance Day to include those who had fallen in the two World Wars and later conflicts.

What I've seen and heard today really got on my nerves. At my college most people didn't bother. People in some workplaces just went on with their jobs. A company that makes cameras and AV equipment for the military where my friend works didn't even attempt to observe the 2 minute silence.

The people in the two World Wars gave their lives fighting for what they believed in so that most of us in Britain, the Commonwealth, and America could be alive today. You don't have to be silent for a week, a month, not even a year, just two whole minutes.

So please, if your country respects Rememberance Day, stop what you're doing and give two minutes silence. It's not asking a lot to remember those who fought for their country.
    Last edited by Storm Strife; 11-11-2005 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Slight changes to original text
    The Tao of Rayne - Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience...if that fails, try something in the dairy variety.

Twilight Sunset «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†»'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-11-2007 03:54 PM
    Threads

Im right behind ya dude im not from britan or even originaly from America but i understand how you feel XD I wrote the day down and will di this when the time comes XD

Have a nice day XD
    Awsome Siggy By sadie

I Would Like to start a family please pm me if you are interested ^^

I Finaly Started my Journal xD check it out i'll post stuff daily ^^

Break it
    I Would Never Sugest Any Thing Like This.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Don't get this whole 'remember those who died'-thing. People die in wars. They have done so for thousands of years, and they will probably keep doing that.
    Last edited by Eris; 11-11-2005 at 10:04 AM.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Senior Member mokulen22 is just really nice mokulen22 is just really nice mokulen22 is just really nice mokulen22 is just really nice mokulen22's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-27-2006 07:05 PM
    Threads

It is very sad that people around you didn't respect Remembrance Day. At my work today we had a two minute moment of silence and everyone complied (well, other than the call centre agents on the phone--not their fault, of course). This is a very serious holiday for most Canadians. I've worn my poppy--like most --everyday since halloween.

Oh, and Dieselmannen, Remembrance Day isn't about remembering all the people who died during the war. It's about appreciating the fact that they went to war and understanding that Veterans deserve to be respected. I would not be so quick to dismiss them as "some people who died in a war or went to war" The fact that they were fighting for an ideology you know reap the benefits of is reason enough to take two minutes to reflect in silence.
    #1 reason for Kage Bunshin no Jitsu: To clean Moku's house

Twilight Sunset «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†» has a reputation beyond repute «†~Äthäñös~†»'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Nicly put XD

Have a nice day XD
    Awsome Siggy By sadie

Break it

C++ Addict Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke is a splendid one to behold Loljoke's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2006 05:22 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

And we must not forget that night to yesterday was The Crystal Night.
    This is the night that the campaign against the Jews began.
    Why is it called Crystal Night? Because all Jewish stores had their windows broken. This night, you could wade through shattered glass.

I honour everyone that fought in the war, everybody thought they were fighting for the good side. Or atleast most of them did.
    I live in Switzerland!

z0mg I am GOD [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath]'s Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Beer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-18-2009 07:44 PM
    Threads

The least we can do for those soldiers.
    [You can't spell slaughter without laughter]

[Black_Death R.I.P 20/Oct/2005]

Member kenji_son_of_kenshin is on a distinguished road kenji_son_of_kenshin's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-13-2006 12:29 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselmannen
    Don't get this whole 'remember those who died'-thing. People die in wars. They have done so for thousands of years, and they will probably keep doing that.
    eaven so...to die in war for your country protecting those you love is the most honorable death you could die the least we could do is honor them!!

The weasel God sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-14-2006 08:26 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by mokulen22
    Oh, and Dieselmannen, Remembrance Day isn't about remembering all the people who died during the war. It's about appreciating the fact that they went to war and understanding that Veterans deserve to be respected. I would not be so quick to dismiss them as "some people who died in a war or went to war" The fact that they were fighting for an ideology you know reap the benefits of is reason enough to take two minutes to reflect in silence.
    The point is not to forget that the present is entirely dependant of the past, but rather to show the ironical part of that remembrance. For the death of those soldiers in the 100 years war is as much important in our current history as WWI or WWII. Only, those two are closer to us. It's not a factual (as I daresay most people don't measure the atrocity of those wars, for both sides) remembrance, it's all the way emotional. Wait for the veterans and the veterans' children to be dead, and remembrance will wither.

If you want to remember, remember widely. Like, it is the roman emperor Hadrianus who organized the jewish people diaspora, which made them scattered through Europe. If he hadn't done so (now we're in sheer speculations), there could have been no holocaust, no Israelo-palestinian conflict, or whatever. So blame it on Hadrianus.

As for WWI, I guess if some dude like Alexander the Great or Marco Polo hadn't started the trend of exploring new places, there would not have been any colonies, conquest of new lands, no jealousy from the king William of Germany, no Poland conquered, or whatever...

It is silly to remember WWI and WWII as a pure mass of deaths and seperated historical facts. If you want to look at history, look at it as a whole.
    -I have an hangover and two liters of coffee in the body: I'm at the top of my efficiency.-
    If I love trains it is probably because they go faster than burials.
    The best thing about weasels is that they don't turn into pickles when they are you.

Senior Member mokulen22 is just really nice mokulen22 is just really nice mokulen22 is just really nice mokulen22 is just really nice mokulen22's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by sjøpølse
    The point is not to forget that the present is entirely dependant of the past, but rather to show the ironical part of that remembrance. For the death of those soldiers in the 100 years war is as much important in our current history as WWI or WWII. Only, those two are closer to us. It's not a factual (as I daresay most people don't measure the atrocity of those wars, for both sides) remembrance, it's all the way emotional. Wait for the veterans and the veterans' children to be dead, and remembrance will wither.

If you want to remember, remember widely. Like, it is the roman emperor Hadrianus who organized the jewish people diaspora, which made them scattered through Europe. If he hadn't done so (now we're in sheer speculations), there could have been no holocaust, no Israelo-palestinian conflict, or whatever. So blame it on Hadrianus.

As for WWI, I guess if some dude like Alexander the Great or Marco Polo hadn't started the trend of exploring new places, there would not have been any colonies, conquest of new lands, no jealousy from the king William of Germany, no Poland conquered, or whatever...

It is silly to remember WWI and WWII as a pure mass of deaths and seperated historical facts. If you want to look at history, look at it as a whole.
    I'm confused why did you quote me?
    Last edited by mokulen22; 11-11-2005 at 01:25 PM.

The weasel God sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse has a brilliant future sjøpølse's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-14-2006 08:26 PM
    Threads

yeah. That was not quite clear. I quoted you to explain what I thought was the point of Dieselmannen. The rest of the post was to point out the irony and ridiculousness (to some extent) of such remembrance, hence the "look at history as a whole". For the deaths that occured in the world wars are no greater, nor of more importance, nobility or honour than those that occured in other wars.
    -I have an hangover and two liters of coffee in the body: I'm at the top of my efficiency.-
    If I love trains it is probably because they go faster than burials.
    The best thing about weasels is that they don't turn into pickles when they are you.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by sjøpølse
    yeah. That was not quite clear. I quoted you to explain what I thought was the point of Dieselmannen. The rest of the post was to point out the irony and ridiculousness (to some extent) of such remembrance, hence the "look at history as a whole". For the deaths that occured in the world wars are no greater, nor of more importance, nobility or honour than those that occured in other wars.
    I understand where you are coming from but Remembrance Day shouldn’t be thought of as some farce. I’m sure you wouldn’t go up to a veteran and say such a thing…I think we can both agree that’s just wrong. It's just a day to thank them, to show we don't forget what they went through. I don't beleive this day is limited to one war or just the world wars...that moment is silent to remember, and reflect what you think is important on this day to you, yourself.

These people are still with us and deserve out respect for fighting a war for us. It’s not something that should be debatable, they DESERVE that respect wheather it was an influential war or not. This is an important holiday, I'm not saying you disagree, but I'd like to point out this fact, again.

Property of SamuraiGirl Frequency is just really nice Frequency is just really nice Frequency is just really nice Frequency is just really nice Frequency is just really nice Frequency's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-06-2007 09:15 PM
    Threads

Are you from Canada?,Because I just had History class and we were talking about veteran's and we heard that canada calls their holiday Rememberance day.

Some Old Cliché g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death has a reputation beyond repute g0d_of_death's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-23-2006 01:56 PM
    Threads

I think it's important to honour the fallen soldiers who fought for our freedom, and fought to try to bring peace to this world. It has nothing to do with any religious beliefs, so I think everyone should remember those people that gave their lives for us. Some people aren't appreciative of that though; they don't care who died and they don't care about who's still living. It's a shame, but it's life.

Aifa bistowed rice upon me... has he bestowed it upon you?

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

ok now im lost oh well

Have a nice day XD
    Awsome Siggy By sadie

Break it

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by «†~Äthäñös~†»
    ok now im lost oh well

Have a nice day XD
    If you try to explain your confusion we might be able to help you...or are you just spamming?

Born to Die... Sweet Lucidity is infamous around these parts Sweet Lucidity is infamous around these parts Sweet Lucidity is infamous around these parts Sweet Lucidity is infamous around these parts Sweet Lucidity is infamous around these parts Sweet Lucidity's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-14-2006 12:41 PM
    in a pile of clothes to the left of the chair in the living room
    Threads

Remberance day?? thats news to me ><
    catch the silver bullet and paint it into the sky
    Gott Wei3 ich will kein Engel sein

*FAMILY*
    ILEGALY IN LOVE W/ COUSIN: Dyne
    RANDOM FRIEND: Nerveya
    SNAZY LIL SIS: Fatality
    HORNY PET TIGER: HEAVENSPHEONIX
    ADORABLE LIL SIS: Petit Angel
    FRIEND: sanokidsasuke
    LONG LOST BRO: †NeؤKnÍghtwØlf†
    CRAZY BIG BRO: Dark Sephiroth

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Lucidity
    Remberance day?? thats news to me ><
    Don't worry if you have never heard of it. Remembrance Day is only celebrated in the Commonwealth Nations, such as Canada, and Britian.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mokulen22
    Uh, okay. So WWI (or the outcome of) is pretty much directly responsible for the bolsjevik revolution, the rise of Hitler and also WWII. Yay for them!

kenji_son_of_kenshin: I see no honor in waging war. Though it's a splendid alternative to eugenics if you want to separate the weaker genes and create a stronger people (forced darwinian evolution), there is little honor involved in it.
    Last edited by Eris; 11-11-2005 at 03:42 PM.

Genius of Silver Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword's Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2011 07:58 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Daiblix PSN ID: MillionSword

It's not like they're gonna be able to thank you for remebering them or anything. Do you really have to care that much?

Mr. Slurpee xD Crimson Soul has a reputation beyond repute Crimson Soul has a reputation beyond repute Crimson Soul has a reputation beyond repute Crimson Soul has a reputation beyond repute Crimson Soul has a reputation beyond repute Crimson Soul has a reputation beyond repute Crimson Soul has a reputation beyond repute Crimson Soul has a reputation beyond repute Crimson Soul has a reputation beyond repute Crimson Soul has a reputation beyond repute Crimson Soul has a reputation beyond repute Crimson Soul's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-10-2007 12:24 AM
    Threads

what i hate is when your in an asembly, or doing the silence in class for remeberance day (well the day before anyways ince there was no school today)and some kids think it's funny to whistle and try to make noises to get a laugh during the silence
    Goddess-Aki~Seductress-Tsuna~Mistress-negi
    Wifeess-missy~Stalkeress-capo~Temptress-DK

Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Soul
    what i hate is when your in an asembly, or doing the silence in class for remeberance day (well the day before anyways ince there was no school today)and some kids think it's funny to whistle and try to make noises to get a laugh during the silence
    You can't force someone into respecting something.

Closed Thread

Thread Information