AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Materialistic = Greater importance?

Senior Member SaceGolem2 has a reputation beyond repute SaceGolem2 has a reputation beyond repute SaceGolem2 has a reputation beyond repute SaceGolem2 has a reputation beyond repute SaceGolem2 has a reputation beyond repute SaceGolem2 has a reputation beyond repute SaceGolem2 has a reputation beyond repute SaceGolem2 has a reputation beyond repute SaceGolem2 has a reputation beyond repute SaceGolem2 has a reputation beyond repute SaceGolem2 has a reputation beyond repute SaceGolem2's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-07-2010 11:11 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Materialistic = Greater importance?

Do you think that in today's society, there is too much focus and concentration on materialistic things apposed to something more longterm and essential for mankind?

To give some raw examples, Before the ipod nano was created, Steve jobs was quoted saying that he wanted the best and brightest minds to work on developing the next ipod. Now I am in no way disagreeing with his statement or am I blaming this on him, but it kinda makes you think of what importance we place on our luxuries instead of things like fixing the New orleans levee years ago, or working on ways to improve our healthcare.

Truth be told, I'd wish there would be more innovation when it comes to essential problems and not things like luxuries and uneeded merchandise..

Opinions?

Senior Member Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-09-2009 05:42 PM
    Threads

I dont agree with you at all. i love my possesion more than anything else

--\/-- घ फोना ईाूहील् --/\-- I Have Returned--\/--

Train of thought En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger has a reputation beyond repute En Svensk Tiger's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-19-2006 09:33 AM
    Threads

^ Not sure if I'm gonna take that as irony or ironic truth.

But what you're saying is kinda true. Many of our bright minds are working day and night, not for a better world, but merely for better products to sell to the consumer. It's the way it is. I remember when I was in Poland, in the concentration camps from ww2, and a thought struck me; "If someone had spent this much energy(they really got into the extermination thing) doing something for the better of humanity, imagine how the world would've been."

I guess it's human to be egoistic though, so I doubt things will change much. We could have an Utopia on our hands. But we don't seem to want to.

Lawful Good~*I <3<3<3~Torm*~ Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-03-2015 11:24 AM
    Threads

Well, depends on what you read.

You can base your truth on what you've already read about that iPod and its bright minds, or get involved with some Nature thingy-world-peace-free love and talk of how they have "the top minds working on how to fix every problem in the world". (However, when he talked about bright minds, I don't think he pulled in rocket scientists or the some staff trying to figure out how to remove famine and drought. Even though I kinda doubt those exist.)
    But aside from that digression, egoism is what drives us. And making money so we can spend on trinkets, not necessairly need, but 'cause we want it, will probably the strongest push factor we have for our developing society and species. Any attempts of doing something else, has either horribly failed or stagnated the development of both the human mind and culture.

So as long as you/we don't abuse the options and possibilites we have, I don't think we'll be that bad off.
    Last edited by Zedekiah; 10-27-2005 at 09:05 AM.

The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal.

Senior Member mokulen22 is just really nice mokulen22 is just really nice mokulen22 is just really nice mokulen22 is just really nice mokulen22's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-27-2006 07:05 PM
    Threads

The world is what it is. We base out worth in the developed world on the abundance of luxury, so I don’t see the surprised that we waste brain power to further our progress in material goods. Materialism is human nature. We desire comfort. Society isn’t a thing you can blame; it’s the result of the co-existence of humanity. Society is dictated by the norm, or nature of the majority. We can only blame our own dependence on comfort. Of course, I know there is more to human nature than that, such as benefit and empathy. If we benefit from something, it is profitable to us in someway (financial, emotional, physically, etc…), it is worth our attention. Likewise, if we can empathize or see a link from our existence to another’s we will give your attention, or support, to such. I could go on and on but I’m straying from the purpose and point of this thread…the main point is we’re just a very selfish species.
    #1 reason for Kage Bunshin no Jitsu: To clean Moku's house

Senior Member Thyrax'll is on a distinguished road Thyrax'll's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-22-2005 11:20 PM
    Threads

Humanity has based its whole way of living that Materails = Greater importance. For example, kings were important, and what did they have? A great load of treasure. Personally, i view this way of living as a farce, as you don't actually count for anything unless u have possessions. Even though i'm opposed to it, i follow it for lack of knowing a better way.

Sig made by Archangel.

Fiddle Faddle Victim Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-08-2007 01:04 AM
    Threads

It depends, really. For example, i'm a very materialistic person. My dad was ALWAYS at work because his job requires him to travel excessively, so therefore I get things in return. I've become accustomed to the things I have, and its incredibly difficult to accept anything less. Yes, the world is materialistic, BUT, I believe if you have the means to do it, then do so!

Rina'z Plague is back!! animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi has a reputation beyond repute animeseishi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-12-2008 10:28 AM
    Threads

it happens really ... there is addiction to these things and we also have the need to have them.. some are essential whilst some are just because you want them and you need to keep up with the latest things and trends...

^I'm a cold vanilla milkshake with poison in it.^
    ^Please take a sip.^

can you make me a siggy and avvy set?
    im collecting. pm me if you can.
    thanks!

--my collection--

Gimme A Litre A Cola! zodiak zodiak zodiak zodiak zodiak zodiak zodiak zodiak zodiak zodiak zodiak zodiak's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2006 08:34 PM
    Threads

people do valeuy their objects as there own life, you can't take them away.

Closed Thread

Thread Information