AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you bothered by the volume of certain commercials?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and it bothers me a great deal.

6 60.00%
  • Yes, but very little.

3 30.00%
  • No, I haven't really noticed.

1 10.00%
Closed Thread

Thread: Are you annoyed with LOUD commercials?

Senior Member picano has a spectacular aura about picano has a spectacular aura about picano has a spectacular aura about picano's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-15-2005 09:03 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Are you annoyed with LOUD commercials?

Topic coppied from what I posted over at Warp Pipe
    ------------------------------------------
    While trying to watch... "Alien Siege" on the Sci-fi channel, I had to turn up the volume a bit more than normal, so my Dad could hear the people in the movie whiser, no problem, right?

Fade out... BOOM, a commercial blasts in with the ear splitting voice of a woman advertising "D-Way". Hit mute on the remote, the room goes silent. Un-mute as soon as the commerical is done, a few more commercials pass by, BOOM another commercial just as loud, except advertising direct TV itself.

Wasn't there a law against increasing the volume of commercials? I thought so... did a bit of research... came up with this on the FCC sight.

Background

Whether or not something is “too loud” is a judgment that varies with each listener. The decision is influenced by many factors like content and style, the speaker’s voice and tone, background sounds, and music. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) does not regulate the volume of programs or commercials. FCC rules limit the amount of power that a station can transmit and the peak level of the program material. Within the limitations imposed by FCC rules, however, there is considerable latitude for broadcasters and program producers to vary the “loudness” of the program material.
    Ugh... so that means, no rest for my ears and the dieing battery in my remote?

What is wrong here? Pay for TV, sit through ads.... not that big of a deal. Pay for TV, sit through defeaning ads which can distrub my concentration (not easy to do I might add)

I'm just venting a bit... this situation was bad before, then it seemed to lighten up, but now its back and worse than ever... and what does the FCC have to say about this?

Equipment That Helps

Equipment is available that can be used to minimize the effects of “loud” commercials. More television receivers are now equipped with circuits which are designed to stabilize loudness differences between various audio program and commercial content. These functions usually need to be “enabled” or turned on through the television receiver’s “Set up/Audio” menu. The “Mute” button on TV remote controls is also useful to “blank” excessively loud audio. Manually controlling volume levels with the remote control remains the simplest approach to reducing excessive volume levels. In “high-end” applications, such as home theater systems, some automatic devices may also help. They include:

Automatic Gain Control (AGC) Circuits are available in professional and some “top-of-the-line” consumer audio equipment. If the audio level is low, an AGC circuit will raise it; if the level is too high, the AGC circuit will bring it down.

Audio Compressors are used to pull down loud sounds. Compressors can be adjusted so that many of the negative effects of loudness processing go unnoticed.

Limiters and Peak Limiters can be used to keep the audio level from exceeding a set level. Peak limiters are the simplest, least intrusive of all the automatic level control devices, but can introduce considerable distortion.

Audio Expanders are used to increase the range of sound. An expander can restore sound to its normal range and also reduce noticeable background noise.

Audio Filters can be used to “screen out” specific audio frequencies.
    Buy expensive equiptment to alleviate the pain...

>.<

There has to be something better...

If you are bothered, join in and send a complaint (be sure to follow the guidelines). I doubt it will do much, but I'm posting this everywhere I can. Notify them of any instances you have had the pain of experiencing and encourage them to get up off their comfy chairs and actual measure sound levels, make a distinct limit on what can be aired.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html

*info nabbed from http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts...oundnoise.html *
    Last edited by picano; 10-09-2005 at 05:55 PM.
    -picano the catgirl fan
    Click the bobombs for my site!

Quote Originally Posted by picano
    Would you marry me? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Chii-chan
    Why don't you just download me?:-)

Senior Member BlueJade has a reputation beyond repute BlueJade has a reputation beyond repute BlueJade has a reputation beyond repute BlueJade has a reputation beyond repute BlueJade has a reputation beyond repute BlueJade has a reputation beyond repute BlueJade has a reputation beyond repute BlueJade has a reputation beyond repute BlueJade has a reputation beyond repute BlueJade has a reputation beyond repute BlueJade has a reputation beyond repute BlueJade's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-02-2007 12:14 AM
    Threads

Yes, it bothers me, but I learn to deal.

Urayamashii ne! Life is ii ne! Hontou ni

Stronger Beyond Belief Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007 has a reputation beyond repute Marie2007's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-06-2008 08:36 PM
    Threads

yeah it bothers me i just try not to pay attention to it
    Sometimes The Minute You Give Up On Everything Somebody Shows Up And Cheers You Up Right Before Your Very Eyes It Happened To Me And He Knows Who He Is I Hope.

Demon God of Discord Chaos Master Dark is just really nice Chaos Master Dark is just really nice Chaos Master Dark is just really nice Chaos Master Dark is just really nice Chaos Master Dark is just really nice Chaos Master Dark's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-10-2006 09:53 PM
    So far in my mind all the doors say "EXIT"
    Threads

I hate commercials w/ alarm clocks.
    I jump everytime.

Addicted to STEAK Celes has a reputation beyond repute Celes has a reputation beyond repute Celes has a reputation beyond repute Celes has a reputation beyond repute Celes has a reputation beyond repute Celes has a reputation beyond repute Celes has a reputation beyond repute Celes has a reputation beyond repute Celes has a reputation beyond repute Celes has a reputation beyond repute Celes has a reputation beyond repute Celes's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-16-2009 06:05 PM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Loud commercials are the story of my life... ;_; Well, when I watch tv anyways.

I think the car commercials aggravate me the most. They just SCREAM the so-called "sales." >_<

Senior Member picano has a spectacular aura about picano has a spectacular aura about picano has a spectacular aura about picano's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yeah, car commercials are horrible. >.<

Tho... in my area, atleast most care dealerships have laid back calm commercials.... for now atleast. >.>
    -picano the catgirl fan

Goddess Nayru Spherus has a reputation beyond repute Spherus has a reputation beyond repute Spherus has a reputation beyond repute Spherus has a reputation beyond repute Spherus has a reputation beyond repute Spherus has a reputation beyond repute Spherus has a reputation beyond repute Spherus has a reputation beyond repute Spherus has a reputation beyond repute Spherus has a reputation beyond repute Spherus has a reputation beyond repute Spherus's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Gifts 007 - Squirtle 004 - Charmander 001 - Bulbasaur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-24-2008 06:14 PM
    Threads

It doesn't bother me...if it did, I'd at least be "unlazy" enough to change the volume...unlike some people.
    Ultimate-Forumz.com
    It's new. I hope you'll come help us make it bigger. :]<3

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

It shouldn't be our place to have to do so.

Anyone with satellite or cable pays to view the programs on it. We shouldn't have to be subjected to 'unreasonable' levels of sound inbetween our programming which is already CUT to show commercials.
    -picano the catgirl fan

Digital Artist Kurama_the_spirit_fox is a glorious beacon of light Kurama_the_spirit_fox is a glorious beacon of light Kurama_the_spirit_fox is a glorious beacon of light Kurama_the_spirit_fox is a glorious beacon of light Kurama_the_spirit_fox is a glorious beacon of light Kurama_the_spirit_fox's Avatar
    Tired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-05-2007 05:38 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Pvt Jolt

yes. bothers me quite a bit. especially when it pops up during a show with low volume.
    signature by Saphire.
    Family is in my journal, PM if you wanna join.

Please join my site. Go to my profile to view webpage.

Senior Member Gizoku has a reputation beyond repute Gizoku has a reputation beyond repute Gizoku has a reputation beyond repute Gizoku has a reputation beyond repute Gizoku has a reputation beyond repute Gizoku has a reputation beyond repute Gizoku has a reputation beyond repute Gizoku has a reputation beyond repute Gizoku has a reputation beyond repute Gizoku has a reputation beyond repute Gizoku has a reputation beyond repute Gizoku's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-29-2011 09:04 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: KCEB91

yeah it bothers me, but not as much im just afraid to get caught in the middle of the night watching tv.
    Derp.

Angel of a Dark Abyss -_-Tan-_- has much to be proud of -_-Tan-_- has much to be proud of -_-Tan-_- has much to be proud of -_-Tan-_- has much to be proud of -_-Tan-_- has much to be proud of -_-Tan-_- has much to be proud of -_-Tan-_- has much to be proud of -_-Tan-_- has much to be proud of -_-Tan-_- has much to be proud of -_-Tan-_-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-04-2006 02:02 PM
    Threads

i hate it when i turn the tv up loud during a show then when its a commercial its 3 times as loud
    Who Really cares about what someone thinks when life ends we all end up dead.... When hell froze over I returned...

Apprentice: Mushrambo and Mitariflower

Death cant be for told by those who seek it. Only by those who embrace the fact that death is eminit and that it is always around us.

Senior Member Ms. Lucy has a reputation beyond repute Ms. Lucy has a reputation beyond repute Ms. Lucy has a reputation beyond repute Ms. Lucy has a reputation beyond repute Ms. Lucy has a reputation beyond repute Ms. Lucy has a reputation beyond repute Ms. Lucy has a reputation beyond repute Ms. Lucy has a reputation beyond repute Ms. Lucy has a reputation beyond repute Ms. Lucy has a reputation beyond repute Ms. Lucy has a reputation beyond repute Ms. Lucy's Avatar
    Gil
    Breezy
    Gifts 147 - Dratini Paint Palette
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-18-2013 03:13 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

ALL comercials annoy me alot!! I hate commercials! They are Insignificant. Especially the Enzeit one.
    Signature by Seung-li

Closed Thread

Thread Information