AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why is dbz always frowned on by "hardcore" anime fans?

Joker Sega saturn x is a jewel in the rough Sega saturn x is a jewel in the rough Sega saturn x is a jewel in the rough Sega saturn x is a jewel in the rough Sega saturn x's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-08-2006 05:09 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Why is dbz always frowned on by "hardcore" anime fans?

I dont get it why is Dragon ball Z always frowned at by "hardcore" anime fans?

King of Goths Gil is on a distinguished road Gil's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-12-2005 06:43 PM
    Threads

I think its because its [DBZ] become so mainstream in the United States, Britain, ec. that "hardcore,' (as you called them) anime fans don't approve of it anymore. I don't get it either. I've never been huge on the show, but I don't see why it being popular would affect its credibility.

www.cheshil.com
    www.cheshil.com/forum

Decendent Of Fianna Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-11-2013 03:47 AM
    Threads

i cant actually say y but dont u think its practicly the same but just differrent chracters

Decendent Of Fianna Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca is infamous around these parts Orca's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-11-2013 03:47 AM
    Threads

it just show to much reruns and wen u do get to c a new episode its practicly not wat u expected and makes u more uninterrested thats only my thought im not a hugh fan but an eceptcinal fan

Member Midnight Kitana is on a distinguished road Midnight Kitana's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-29-2005 11:11 PM
    Threads

I think one reason DBZ is so frown upon by many hardcore anime fans is because it's too mainstream. DBZ is one of the most well-known animes in the US. It has a lot of fans and several annoying ones. Another reason is the fact that it's considered a gateway to anime. You're hooked once you get into it, the plot is fairly simple to understand and you grow attached to the characters, but then you begin to move into more better, developed, and deeper ones. That's when most realize that DBZ isn't all that it's made out to be. Others simply just don't care for the anime. They may be thrown off by the animation, long dragged out fights, storyline, or the characters.

Junior Member Gylfie is on a distinguished road Gylfie's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-04-2004 09:52 AM
    Threads

Well, I for one used to like Dragon Ball Z. I stopped watching it because every time the plot gets interesting, they haven't the newer episodes so they go back a couple sagas. I myself have suffered through that 2 or 3 times and now I am fed up.

Also, days in DBZ last maybe about a week or more. When Goku was allowed to go back to Earth for one day, he was on Earth for about 2 - 3 weeks.

There you go, there are possibly more reasons that I haven't noticed. Good day to you.

The Death of You Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-28-2009 10:16 AM
    Threads

Because the DBZ fans act as if they know everything about anime because they've seen DBZ and maybe a handful of other programs via Cartoon Network. It ticks the "hardcore" fans off because they were watching most of that anime before it was ever aired on TV, and have been into anime for years and years.

It's like someone saying they know everything about rock because they listen to Linkin Park, or know everything about grunge because they listen to Nirvana. You know the mainstream not-as-good-as-the-other-bands-in-the-genre bands, but you don't really know about the rest of the genre. Who those bands try to sound like. Who came before them. Who came at the same time, were better, but had less exposure to the limelight. Etc. So, when talking about the bands, you look like an idiot and a poser, and the more "hardcore" music fans don't like you.

DBZ has also caused an influx of really annoying fans in the online anime communities. Pretty much it "dumbs down" the fandom. Kind of like how I'm a Sailor Moon fan, but I don't really like a great many of the -new- fans because they act/talk/type like elementary children.

Get any of what I'm sayin'?

--
    Goes by: Death, Tod, or Shi

Joker Sega saturn x is a jewel in the rough Sega saturn x is a jewel in the rough Sega saturn x is a jewel in the rough Sega saturn x is a jewel in the rough Sega saturn x's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yes i do and you have a good point i have felt the same way towards to days video game player the ones that think they know old school games even though the first system they ever had was ps1 or people who think they are really good at games because they beat halo on normal. So i guess its really the fans of the show more then the show itself.

natural tomboy red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2007 08:12 AM
    Threads

On of the things that make DBZ a boring show to watch is the story.

The story of DBZ in a nutshell: Bad guy apears, bad guy pounces on hero's friends, hero joins battle, bad guy pounches hero, bad guy makes hero's friends suffer, hero does amazing powerup, hero wins first, but bad guy does amazing powerup too, hero does a final überfied attack and beats bad guy, next bad guy appears, next bad guy pounces up hero's friends etc. etc.

And it goes on and on and on, that´s why I frown upon DBZ,. Especialy considering that each piece takes about ten episodes.
    RPG bios (click for more info):

(COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderation .[TT]Death//Scythe666 will become famous soon enough .[TT]Death//Scythe666's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-24-2005 08:08 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Die Tod von Euch
    Because the DBZ fans act as if they know everything about anime because they've seen DBZ and maybe a handful of other programs via Cartoon Network. It ticks the "hardcore" fans off because they were watching most of that anime before it was ever aired on TV, and have been into anime for years and years.

It's like someone saying they know everything about rock because they listen to Linkin Park, or know everything about grunge because they listen to Nirvana. You know the mainstream not-as-good-as-the-other-bands-in-the-genre bands, but you don't really know about the rest of the genre. Who those bands try to sound like. Who came before them. Who came at the same time, were better, but had less exposure to the limelight. Etc. So, when talking about the bands, you look like an idiot and a poser, and the more "hardcore" music fans don't like you.

DBZ has also caused an influx of really annoying fans in the online anime communities. Pretty much it "dumbs down" the fandom. Kind of like how I'm a Sailor Moon fan, but I don't really like a great many of the -new- fans because they act/talk/type like elementary children.

Get any of what I'm sayin'?
    Yeah its pretty much all there ^^;

just so you know I dont hate DBZ.. I guess it isnt that bad but comparing it to other anime's out there.. its just.. pathetic (no offence here) ..the DBZ series was the best in the whole franchise it had alot of action it had Vegeta it had the best saga's it covered some story in DB and yeah so on but blah I unno, I guess I like it just not as much as other anime's mainly because the reasons above which Die Tod von Euch had posted up ^^;

100% Vitamin C Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-21-2008 08:57 PM
    Threads

In the beginning, it was all cool. But now, since its so widely popular, its gotten kinda.... repetitive and silly, if I may say so. I loved it back when it was Freeza and all that, but when it got to Buu, it got silly and kinda something for ten year old to watch. Kinda like YuGiOh. It was cool (at least to me) in the beginning, but then it kinda....... yeah...
    -Back! From Outer Space!-
    -Soldats Royal Family-

The Honorable Reaper WhiteReaper has a spectacular aura about WhiteReaper has a spectacular aura about WhiteReaper's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-28-2006 12:00 AM
    Threads

You all make interesting arguments. They are true! DBZ really is too mainstream to be considered a truly excellent anime.

When you see such animes as Fullmetal Alchemist, which has a truly amazing plotline and many plot twists towards the end, DBZ seems too repetitive by nature.
    Family

Brother in Arms: Saint Mana
    Sister in Arms: JiruCloud
    Sister: Anbu-Kakashi

The two armed man!!! Zanethose has a reputation beyond repute Zanethose has a reputation beyond repute Zanethose has a reputation beyond repute Zanethose has a reputation beyond repute Zanethose has a reputation beyond repute Zanethose has a reputation beyond repute Zanethose has a reputation beyond repute Zanethose has a reputation beyond repute Zanethose has a reputation beyond repute Zanethose has a reputation beyond repute Zanethose has a reputation beyond repute Zanethose's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2009 11:14 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Pita26

DBZ was way to repetetive. "Hey someone wants to destroy the world!" Goku beats them up. "Hurray!!! we did it!!!" krillin walks in "Hey lets wish everybody back to life!" balma walks up "good idea!" sorry way to blay for me
    My art thread.
    My Deviant Art page.

Thanks for the avvy and sig Bucky Katt!
    Are you a fan?

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I dont think the unedited stuff is ten year old fair. To my understanding its much bloodyer and darker. Why if somthing is mainstream then bad?

Plastic Weasel Pakachu has much to be proud of Pakachu has much to be proud of Pakachu has much to be proud of Pakachu has much to be proud of Pakachu has much to be proud of Pakachu has much to be proud of Pakachu has much to be proud of Pakachu has much to be proud of Pakachu has much to be proud of Pakachu's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-05-2006 08:21 PM
    Threads

Personally, i just dont like the fact that its the same story over and over and over again. someone comes to destroy the (world/universe) goku or gohan has to go and kick someones butt but ends up getting killed so everyone else has to go gather the dragon balls to bring him back to life but somehow the bad guy always has at least one and....0_o

and character growth = getting bigger and stronger(not to mention hairierO_o...)

::shrug::
    thats my opinion anyhow...
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. "

-Ted Geisel aka. Dr. Suess

Close the world, txEn eht nepO

natural tomboy red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2007 08:12 AM
    Threads

Not to mention that Goku's SSJ4 überattack isn't that much different from say, Nappa's standard attack?
    RPG bios (click for more info):

z0mg I am GOD [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath]'s Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Beer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-18-2009 07:44 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by sega saturn X-mas
    I dont get it why is Dragon ball Z always frowned at by "hardcore" anime fans?
    ROFLMAO, omg those stupid wannabe fanatics, make me laugh all the time, 1st off it's a crap anime, heres a summary of how it goes:

"Oh no some increadibly powerful evil is going to destroy the universe and then EARTH! We must defeat this unstoppable evil power that is so powerful we can't beat and would be death to try but lets do it anyways"
    "Yeah ok Goku and afterwards lets have a barbeque, <spasticly giggles>"
    "Hes, just to strong, that evil diabolical squirrel! must transform into something, with lots of power, i dont have anything like that but ill make it up as i go along!"
    "Yay the universe is saved, omg another very evil person has appeared and stronger thatn the squirrel, must kill super beaver"

Pretty accurate of how it's story line goes dont-cha think!? xD

Well anyway, the "DBZ" fans are all retards who don't even now what there talking about, they make all these claims and yet they havn't even seen half the animes out there, i think that it makes a mockery of all the other animes out there and frankly inasult me when people talk about it!
    [You can't spell slaughter without laughter]

[Black_Death R.I.P 20/Oct/2005]

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I hope you just didnt call me a "wannabe finatic" because i never claimed to be an anime exspert. I dont want to be one i was just asking and i got your opinion and im sorry i insulted you oh great one. Ill have to keep a lock on my fingers to not type about any more dbz related subjects.

Wild Card! SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI's Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Gifts Fedora Cylon 1970s
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-06-2017 02:05 PM
    Threads

I think it has more to do with the psychology of the anime fans. On one hand they want anime to gain the recognition that it is so deserving of. On the other there is the strong elitism within the anime community itself. I know I don’t speak for every anime fan, and I make no endeavour to either but anime fans tend to snub anime the moment they become “too mainstream” even though most of the time the anime remains the same, and if not, an unedited version is usually available.

Dragonball Z is merely the embodiment of the anime fan’s secret fear of what could happen to all anime if the genre itself became too mainstream.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I think the same thing has happened to Gta as well and i think you raise an intristing point about anything becoming to mainstream.

Digital Plague Demon Hunter Dante has a reputation beyond repute Demon Hunter Dante has a reputation beyond repute Demon Hunter Dante has a reputation beyond repute Demon Hunter Dante has a reputation beyond repute Demon Hunter Dante has a reputation beyond repute Demon Hunter Dante has a reputation beyond repute Demon Hunter Dante has a reputation beyond repute Demon Hunter Dante has a reputation beyond repute Demon Hunter Dante has a reputation beyond repute Demon Hunter Dante has a reputation beyond repute Demon Hunter Dante has a reputation beyond repute Demon Hunter Dante's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2009 01:37 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 4534 3166 0955 6301

I don't know why but it does get boring when you don't get what you think you are getting!!!! I used to be a big DBZ fan but now it is just plain stupid to me!!!!
    I am Dante, The Son of the Legendary Dark Knight Sparda!!!

Quick Shout-Out To All Who Matter...
    You Should Know Who You Are...

Member Case_Closed_Freak has a little shameless behaviour in the past Case_Closed_Freak's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-13-2005 10:08 PM
    Threads

DBZ is just plain BAD anime, it's not real stuff. U want something action-packed and is also very good? Neon Genesis Evangelion, louie the Rune Soldier, witch hunter robin....and angelo111 where did u get that halo picture? the Fear the covenant elite one...cuz i want to find stuff liek that Halo is awesome

Plastic Weasel Pakachu has much to be proud of Pakachu has much to be proud of Pakachu has much to be proud of Pakachu has much to be proud of Pakachu has much to be proud of Pakachu has much to be proud of Pakachu has much to be proud of Pakachu has much to be proud of Pakachu has much to be proud of Pakachu's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-05-2006 08:21 PM
    Threads

I hope you just didnt call me a "wannabe finatic" because i never claimed to be an anime exspert. I dont want to be one i was just asking and i got your opinion and im sorry i insulted you oh great one. Ill have to keep a lock on my fingers to not type about any more dbz related subjects.
    ...um... i think the term she used was "Fanatic" just thought i would be kind enough to point that out.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. "

-Ted Geisel aka. Dr. Suess

Close the world, txEn eht nepO

z0mg I am GOD [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath] has a reputation beyond repute [BlackDeath]'s Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Beer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-18-2009 07:44 PM
    Threads

Reading is hard is it, hence me using the word "those" now since you responded to that i guess you must fall into that catagory youself, well do you?
    Last edited by [BlackDeath]; 12-12-2004 at 07:37 AM.
    [You can't spell slaughter without laughter]

[Black_Death R.I.P 20/Oct/2005]

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

No i dont im sorry i must have miss read your post. I dont know alot about anime and i dont claim to im glad that was all taken care of.

Closed Thread

Thread Information