AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Sword ^_^

Ace Kaitous YOU Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Hat Rayman Baboon With A Gun Bioshock Syringe
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-23-2024 09:22 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: kaitou ace42 PSN ID: kaitou42 Steam ID: kaitou_ace

Default New Sword ^_^

Just got a new katana in ^_^ so figured I'd make a post all about it, with pictures and all.

Generaly swords come in a few varieties.

There are your standard "wall hangers" these include 99% of the katana you can find out there, like the "Highlander" katana, the "authentic ninja sword" etc. These are all made out of stainless steel (220 or 440), and are very dangerous if you try to use them. Mainly to yourself. These blades are prone to shattering, have rat-tail tang (a tang is a part of the blade thats in the handle), or no tang. These tend to cost anywhere from $15 to $200, depending on how nice they look, and how big of a sucker you seem to be to the seller. The hamon (wavy line on the edge of the blade) is usualy etched in by machine.

The sword I have doesn't fall into that category ^_^;
    It's a cutting sword, fairly well made for tameshigiri (cutting practice). The sword is differentialy tempered, with a real hamon line (produced by tempering the metal with clay). A proper hamon will generaly go all the way through the edge, and thus be identical on both sides). This makes the edge harder then the back, allowing the sword to cut better, and absorb more stress.

It's the Tokugawa Katana by Hanwei, a chinese company that specializes in swords, and has a very strong line of good katana blades. This is one of the mid-range pieces, and is a limited edition sword, being a replica of the type of katana that were favored in the 17th century tokugawa shogunate.
    The sword blade is 28 1/2" in length, and weighs about 2.5 pounds. It's well balanced, and the handle is about 11" in length. This is slightly shorter of a sword then I prefer, but I can live with it.

sword in saya (scabbard)

tsuka closeup
    The tsuka is the handle of the sword. The tsuka-ito or handle wrapping is leather in this case. The same is imitation unfortunately (the white part of the handle) it's supposed to be sting ray skin, but when costs are cut, they tend to use plastic substitue.
    The menuki or the handle ornaments (there to improve grip) are gold plated sakura flowers. The kashira on the end of the handle is rounded in higo style, as opposed to jidai, which would have been a flat cap.

Here you can see some of the tsuba, the mekugi (bamboo peg, holding the blade in place), the habaki (brass collar for the blade), and the seppa (brass washers around the tsuba, for better fit)

You can also see the hamon in this picture.

tsuba closeup
    It's an interesting design. If you hold the sword wrong, it could certanly rub your skin the wrong way. I like this tsuba, but I may see about changing it later.

kashira or the cap on the end of the handle. You can also see the leather wrap nicely here.

a close up of one of the menuki here. gold plated sakura flowers. I generaly prefer smaller menuki, but these aren't too badly done.

kissaki or tip of the blade closeup. You can see the hamon nicely here as well. Also the yokote which is the line separating the kissaki from the blade body is clearly visible. (that seeming discoloration in the shinogi-ji or blade flat is just a reflection from a lamp)

This is a good low to mid-range sword, and I am very happy with it. The balance is nice, and it feels light enough for regular use.

In about two weeks my iaito will come, which is a non-sharp katana used for iaijutsu practice. That sword is coming from japan, and the furniture on it is somewhat nicer. However, it is made from an aluminium-zinc alloy, and as such can not hold a blade. It's the type of sword you start training with, and generaly work with until about 4th or 5th dan black belt in most schools. When the iaito arrives, I'll be taking pics of that as well ^_^;

Also at that time my sword maitenance kit will arrive, and I will be able to take this sword apart (as well as the iaito) and I may post pictures of what a dissasembled blade looks like, if people are interested ^_^

natural tomboy red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm has a reputation beyond repute red storm's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2007 08:12 AM
    Threads

.............. I want one too.
    RPG bios (click for more info):

Kiss The Crystal Grace Alyssa is just really nice Alyssa is just really nice Alyssa is just really nice Alyssa is just really nice Alyssa is just really nice Alyssa's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-08-2004 05:45 AM
    Threads

lol - and I thought you were gonna mention some new weapon in the new RPG game - oh well O.o, this is a very delicate and reminiscing katana I might have to add. You have good tastes in your blades - Karel would be jealous of you about now - lol.

One question though - how much did it cost you for such a weapon, and how were you able to obtain such a beauty?

It seems like this might be a neat hobby of yours. ^_^

Pursuing My Dreams... Fulfilling My Heart... Desiring My Fantasies... - Alyssa
    AG Member since 2002, Minitokyo's Lightwing Extraordinaire.

Senior Member Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-27-2023 01:02 PM
    Threads

Nice sword indeed. now watch some kid like that Myzero dude come here and say something like.. you ain't no samurai and you know it,

The two swords I currently own.. well nothing much to say about them, exept that they are mildly sharp practice katana and Wakizashi. Very stylish black Scabbard with a designed hamon.

Here are the next swords I have in line. They are a bit more dangerous in every way so I'll probably end up using them for real action like if some one broke into my house or something.

http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?1016GT

http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?1201GT

Kiss The Crystal Grace Alyssa is just really nice Alyssa is just really nice Alyssa is just really nice Alyssa is just really nice Alyssa is just really nice Alyssa's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

These two blades are very beautiful, but I love the second sword better. Looks very amazing. Who in the world has enough time to showcase these blades? They are a nice art, but they sure do cost a lot for the cool ones. O.o

Ace Kaitous YOU Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Those two are pretty good swords. I've seen the musashi version. They are by the same company that made this sword, Hanwei, but those are at the upper end of their mid-level blades, and this one here is closer to the bottom of it. Well the kami is one of their upper end, but if you are going to do that, you may as well go with bugei directly (www.bugei.com).

The sword you are holding looks like a "last orchid" type, one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...42567&tc=photo

The saya is nice on them, but I'd not cut anything with it, that type of sword is prone to breaking: http://media.ebaumsworld.com/katanaslip.mpg
    It's basically a wallhanger more then a practice sword. If you want to learn swordfighting, an iaito is the way to go. I had to get one for my class, so most of my current sword money went towards one.

The one I have is priced at over 300 generaly, but I managed to get it for 200 as a "last in stock" item at a retailer, and it's a pretty good deal, as they are no longer producing them. I have another Hanwei sword, a more entry level type blade, and two chinese swords. The japanese swords are what I wish to collect, so I'll get more of them as time goes on.

Goddess (Mom <333) Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Dr Who Tardis Dr Who SonicScrewdriver Dr Who K9
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2011 02:24 PM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

you have the one I poke you with Kaitou too. The one you whack leonid with. which one is the red one? I liked your swords, or the fact that if anything happend you had one within reach to slice my unassuming would be attacker ^_^

The Goddess has Spoken
    A simple kiss can warm an entire body

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

heh well that was the bamboo one ne? I have a pair of shinai (bamboo swords), and a pair of daito bokken (wooden swords) and a pair of suburito (heavier bokken)\\

Goddess (Mom <333) Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako has a reputation beyond repute Princess Minako's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

yes but which one was the red one?

The Goddess has Spoken

Member ||°*+¨TaRkEmI¨+*°|| is on a distinguished road ||°*+¨TaRkEmI¨+*°||'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-22-2004 11:44 AM
    par amour on peut soufrir...je suis pret a en mourir
    Threads

those are beautiful swords, they look expensive oÓ...
    where they expensive? ._.U
    c'est ça l'amour, tout donner, sans espoir de retour

si l' amour du monde était un grain de sable, mon amour pour toi serait toutes les plages du monde
    aimer, c'est monter si haut et toucher les ailes des oiseaux , c'est rester vivant et bruler au coeurs d'un volcan
    Helén, Hektór, Basurto, vóuse suénan churri sépsi xD
    Irwin Dayán Rosethal, *-* e´rs le mejór!
    ------------------------
    wanna be in a clan ._. wherever that is xD ....

Lawful Good~*I <3<3<3~Torm*~ Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-03-2015 11:24 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Karel
    now watch some kid like that Myzero dude come here and say something like.. you ain't no samurai and you know it.
    And that's a lie?

Anyway, neat-oh sword. What was the price? And was it hard to come by?

The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal.

Senior Member Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Tiger Saturn Silence Glaive Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-24-2013 07:26 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: generallylame

They look pretty... I wish I had a sword...
    There is no absolute right and wrong. People judge as right what they personally consider pleasant, and judge as wrong what they personally consider unpleasant. Convincing others of what is right cannot be equated with teaching the Truth. It is just teaching others to agree with you. It is not about putting an end to error, but putting an end to opinions contrary to your own perceptions.
    ~Lao Tzu

Moderator / Chat Admin Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-06-2013 05:06 PM
    Threads

Definately nicer than mine. A few more months I may be able to start collecting again...

Anime Forum's First Generation

Quality Since 1999

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Ah the red wakizashi? Thats just a wallhanger. And I am taking samurai swordfighting now O_o; thats what kenjutsu and iaijutsu are ^_^;

That sword cost me $200, but it generaly goes for over $300.

Senior Member Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel has a reputation beyond repute Karel's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Heck the cheaper the better I'd say.. even more when it's you're friend who runs the store that gives you one.

the ninja guy ninjaStan will become famous soon enough ninjaStan will become famous soon enough ninjaStan's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-03-2005 06:30 PM
    Threads

awesome sword dude, i'd like to have 1 of those

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

well if it's not to use, I suppose everyone could use a nice looking sword on their wall to proudly display.

Exept you got some idiots who are offended just by the fact that you own a sword and they decide to talk bad about you.

The Golden Gladiator galdon has a spectacular aura about galdon has a spectacular aura about galdon's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-05-2006 08:08 PM
    Threads

man, i wish i had a good sword, the closest i've got is a pathetic blade that is used to cut tall grass (the name evades me)

so how do you tell if a sword is good or not? because there is a sword shop in the mall that my dad says only sells overpriced junk (its like 300 for a shield and 450 for a herculess sword)
    i have all the answers.... some of them might even be right

i like to fight, challenge me if you are near my level

Daisy LadyPSerenity has a reputation beyond repute LadyPSerenity has a reputation beyond repute LadyPSerenity has a reputation beyond repute LadyPSerenity has a reputation beyond repute LadyPSerenity has a reputation beyond repute LadyPSerenity has a reputation beyond repute LadyPSerenity has a reputation beyond repute LadyPSerenity has a reputation beyond repute LadyPSerenity has a reputation beyond repute LadyPSerenity has a reputation beyond repute LadyPSerenity has a reputation beyond repute LadyPSerenity's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2014 07:21 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I want one... I want a pretty sword...

www.sheynaevans.com
    PHOTOGRAPHER | WRITER

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

While you have a sword mounted on your wall to proudly display of, I have an archery platinum bow and arrow that I used in archery contests back a few years ago. Ahh, a lot of trophies that time... those were the days.

And perhaps someday I'll buy like a $100 sword just for the heck of it - lol.

Bean Harvester Metaldork has a reputation beyond repute Metaldork has a reputation beyond repute Metaldork has a reputation beyond repute Metaldork has a reputation beyond repute Metaldork has a reputation beyond repute Metaldork has a reputation beyond repute Metaldork has a reputation beyond repute Metaldork has a reputation beyond repute Metaldork has a reputation beyond repute Metaldork has a reputation beyond repute Metaldork has a reputation beyond repute Metaldork's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-14-2005 09:21 PM
    Threads

Nice Swords. But i like to see those big swords with the edges in them
    TOM GREEN SHOW THEME LISTEN TO THE THEME

Has no life (~_~) Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-06-2007 10:35 AM
    Threads

Iggy-sama, I can't remember if it was you or Lonny that got me into sword collecting. Probably both your fault >> I don't have any good ones...yet. I found that link you gave me for the plus katana and will hopefully get it soon ^^; Gah, we have a very spiffy knife and sword store in the local mall that carries bokkens. *sigh* I very much want one. I totally wanna learn how to use them >.< I can't believe you got a new one...tis unfair! I hate you ;.; (you know I'm joking) Eh, here's a piccy of my first sword my mom got me from ebay ^^; My others are definitely display...this one is too obviously. Tis very sad though. My family knows how much I love swords and they desperately try to get me some, but alas they are all displays ^^; Although I did get a spiffy two blade one from China Town. Looks like a cane and it comes apart into two. I like that one...blades are kinda unstable though ^^; Oh heck, here's a piccy of that too. Go ahead, laugh at my unfortunate state!

The pain in pleasure often becomes the pleasure of pain.
    Thanks for watching as I fall...
    Beauty is a curse on this world. It keeps us all from knowing who the real monsters are.

Senior Member Princess Mononoke has a reputation beyond repute Princess Mononoke has a reputation beyond repute Princess Mononoke has a reputation beyond repute Princess Mononoke has a reputation beyond repute Princess Mononoke has a reputation beyond repute Princess Mononoke has a reputation beyond repute Princess Mononoke has a reputation beyond repute Princess Mononoke has a reputation beyond repute Princess Mononoke has a reputation beyond repute Princess Mononoke has a reputation beyond repute Princess Mononoke has a reputation beyond repute Princess Mononoke's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-31-2008 10:24 AM
    Threads

man you know alot about swords.
    [marquee]Miscellaneous Forum Moderator : Member since June 2002 : Proud Hufflepuff : : http://www.moveon.org Vote Democrat! : :If I'm not here I'm playing Lineage II! Look me up on Hindemith Server- Jesslynn : [/marquee]

Gil
    Busy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

you should see him poke people with it, he's good ^^

The Goddess has Spoken

Fiddle Faddle Victim Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars has a reputation beyond repute Queen-of-Mars's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-08-2007 01:04 AM
    Threads

Very nice, Igor. For such a weapon that price was a steal. The sword I bought was basically just something to say "I have a sword." Until I have some sort of income that is more than my hundred per month now, I can't afford such a thing. =/ Ah well, I can always continue my collection of better blades after I get good job.

Closed Thread

Thread Information