What is an anime series doing with a name based on a Clint Eastwood quote? Fortunately, the title is the only thing about Make My Day which I didn’t like. I did like the story, the characters, and of course the action.

Jim is a would-be artist working part-time as a prison guard on the planet Coldfoot. He is really not suited for such employment. Mild and a bit weak, Jim is easy fodder for the tough and rough officers of the guard.

So one day, Jim is part of a rescue crew seeking missing miners, who happen to be prisoners of the worst kind, and their guards. But those prisoners are not the problem, because they are either dead or will be dead. So to are their guards. What Jim and his cohorts discover are yellowish creatures who feed off the planet’s energy source, and are not too particular who they kill or what they destroy in the process.

Jim escapes the mine with a prisoner named Walter, and the two team up to fight the “Swarm,” save Jim’s friends, including a surrogate pregnant girl named Marnie, and flee the planet. There are a lot of the Swarm to kill along the way, and a lot for the Swarm to destroy.

Make My Day
contains some pretty good 3DCG animation. The characters are well defined, primarily Jim who grows into the crises becoming a hero. There is really not much to the story, but the characters and the action make up for that. Plus there are plenty of close calls to build up the excitement.

Make My Day is for action fans. There is profanity, violence, and one scene of a character getting pissed on in his face. Parental guidance is suggested.