So here is yet another coming of age anime. True Tears really doesn’t add anything new to the genre, but it does have a character driven storyline with some interesting characters who are well defined.

Shinichirou meets Noe, a strange girl who rumor has it can put a curse on people. She is unable to cry due to her tears being taken away from her. Or so she says. So she wants Shinichirou’s tears to take the place of the tears she lost. I did say she was strange.

But Noe isn’t the only girl interested in Shinichirou. There’s Aiko, slightly older than Shinichirou, who runs a local eatery. She is dating Shinichirou’s best friend, though it is Shinichirou whom she loves. There is also Hiromi, an orphan taken in by Shinichirou’s parents. She certainly is attracted to Shinichirou, even though she just might be. . . . Nope! That’s a spoiler.

So instead of a love triangle, we have more of a square. You have Shinichirou trying to sort out his feelings, and three girls who are having their hearts broken. I know it is not all that original. But the characters are well developed, and thus believable. They, and their Japanese voice actors, give life to this tale.

Oh, yes. Japanese voice actors. The version I saw was not dubbed. No matter. Subtitles don’t bother me.

There are other relationships and subplots which I will not cover here. Overall, True Tears gets an average rating from me. It’s a well-worn genre, but it does have it’s entertaining moments.