Most of the new anime I am watching now is through Netflix Streaming. They have some interesting shows – and a few bad ones. Uncle From Another World is somewhere in-between.

Yousuku is a 17-year-old SEGA game player who, after a street accident, spends the next 17 years in a coma. The only relative who still takes an interest in him is his nephew Takafumi, who takes his uncle in after his release from the hospital. Yousuku now claims to have spent the past 17 years in another world, where he obtained magical powers. Oddly, Yousuku can back up those claims.

One of those powers is the ability to replay his memories for Takafumi and his old school friend Sumika. It is sort of like watching a movie on your computer. Anyway, Takafumi and Sumika are certainly puzzled by Uncle’s obliviousness, especially the attention he is receiving from all those other world cute girls. But Takafumi is also oblivious, not realizing that Sumika actually is attracted to him.

So that’s the premise behind the series about Yousuku’s adventures in this world and the other. And I must say much of the series is entertaining, but some of the episodes left me yawning. Overall I was entertained, but those other moments were a chore to get through.

The animation is well done, and doing certain scenes as if they were taken from old SAGA games is pretty clever. The characterizations are spot on.

There are ten episodes intended for season one, but only seven are now available. The others are forthcoming.

So I will give Uncle From Another World a qualified thumbs up. It’s an OK way to pass an evening, but there are better series out there.