When we last met, I did a write-up on The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf, an American production done in partnership with South Korea’s Studio Mir. Well, here is another anime which is also an American production along with Studio Mir. DOTA: Dragon’s Blood, inspired by a video game, has the same elements as The Witcher; i.e., dragons, knights, elves, and such. And don’t forget the action, blood and gore, and a fair amount of profanity.

So Davion is a Dragon Knight; that is, one who slays dragons for fun, profit, and adventure. He becomes possessed by a dragon, causing him to transform on inconvenient occasions. Seeking a cure, Davion teams up with an exiled princess named Mirana and her companion, the mute Marcy.

Meanwhile, the elves live under the oppression of their tyrannical goddess. The dragons attack the Dragon Knight’s castle. Once their goddess is overthrown, the elves declare war on humanity. And the thrown of the Helio Imperium is up for grabs, threatening a civil war. Somehow all this gets tied together, though it remains confusing.

Despite the confusion of the storylines, I actually enjoyed seasons one and two of DOTA: Dragon’s Blood, with eight episodes per season. There is a lot of action, for action fans, and that seemed to be enough for me despite my preference for a good story. The animation supports the action, and the characterizations are excellent, with the characters developing along with the story -- or rather stories.

There are a few lose ends which need to be cleaned up, but there is a season 3 in the works, so no worry there. Check out DOTA: Dragon’s Blood.