I thought I knew what Belle was all about, based on the trailer. It seems I was only half right. Belle is a rework of the basic Beauty and the Beast scenario, though with a few different twists.

Suzu is a less than average small town high school girl who feels a bit inadequate when compared to many of her peers. This is not because of any lack of talent or ability, but rather because Suzu never quite got over her mother’s tragic death. Outside of her friend Hiroka, Suzu has trouble communicating and relating to everyone, including her father and the boy she for whom she has an attraction.

To get away from her real life, Suzu creates an alter ego in a newly created virtual universe simply called U. Her alter-ego is known as Belle, a beautiful and talented singer who soon becomes the most popular and most followed character in U. Suzu begins to gain confidence as her mental walls start to break down.

All seems to go well, until Suzu comes face-to-face with a monstrous dragon dubbed the Beast. Most all see the Beast as the villain of the U universe, but Suzu/Belle sees deeper into the character recognizing his humanity. Both soon become targets of a band of self-appointed protectors of the order, led by Justin. Suzu/Belle sees Justin for what he is – a bully.

Belle is directed by Mamoru Hosoda, who also directed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, The Boy and the Beast, and Mirai. With a resume like that, one should expect a lot from Hosoda. He does not disappoint with his new film.

The artwork, especially of the U universe, is superb. It even surpasses Summer Wars in detail and complexity. The voices in the Japanese dub fit perfectly, and the actors really catch the proper emotions in their voices.

Belle is currently in theaters in the US, both sub and dub versions. I do caution about bringing really young children to see this movie. There is one scene of a mother’s death, and the depiction of child abuse.

Overall, Belle is an entertaining and moving film. Go see it while it is in the theaters. (And mask up!)