AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anime You Recommend to Newbies

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Question Anime You Recommend to Newbies

You have a friend who tells you he/she has never watched any anime. Before you toss them out of your life, or out of the window, you try to get them interested in the Japanese genre. Which anime will you recommend to a first timer, and why?

My choices:

1. Spirited Away. Actually, any Studio Ghibli film will do, especially those directed by Hayao Miyazaki himself. Miyazaki represents the pure artistry of anime, and Spirited Away has all his elements. Runner up to represent Ghibli is Ponyo.

2. Mirai. This film shows what even a story about a 4-year-old boy can have some sophistication.

3. Cowboy Bebop. Just to show the newbie that anime can be cool.

4. Nana. Isn’t animation kid stuff? No! That’s why I recommend Nina. Animation can be for more mature audiences as well. This is a long anime series, so at least let them watch the first season as the two Nanas try to find their way in the world.

5. Durarara. Just to show the newbie how entertainingly insane anime can be.

Maybe more later.

Your turn. And remember to tell us why you recommend what you recommend.

Just remember, if your friend is of the opinion that all anime is Disney, then he/she is a lost cause and you really should not let yourself be seen with him/her.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Default Re: Anime You Recommend to Newbies

Add two more to my list:

Kuroko's Basketball is one of the best sports anime I have seen. If your newbie is into sports, suggest this one, although much may come off as unrealistic. It is anime after all.

Lain, on its surface, looks like a coming of age anime. But Lain is not all she appears to be. This is a dark anime, for those whose tastes tend towards noir.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Arguably, Spirited Away contains the best of the elements which make a Miyazaki film a Miyazaki film.

Member Basara1 is on a distinguished road Basara1's Avatar
    Gil
    Innocent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-20-2021 02:25 AM
    Threads

Death Note. A lot of fans started with that. "Everybody" likes.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Basara1 View Post
    Death Note. A lot of fans started with that. "Everybody" likes.
    Yes, that would be a good one to start for someone into noir.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

Are you trying to convert a normal?

Depends what they like. Ghibli is a go to move.

If you like Fantasy I say Slayers

Bloody... Hellsing.

Romance... Please Teacher
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Please! Teacher!? It depends on the person you are trying to bring over to the other side. Some may get a bit squeamish over teacher/student sex. Though I did like the series. It would be a good intro for the right person, though you can say that about my picks as well.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

For the newbie who is into something more cerebral, I recommend Mirai. Despite being about a 4-year-old boy, this film is quite sophisticated dealing with the search for identity.

WOW!!!! Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts AK47 American Flag Ribbon Systems N64
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2023 04:18 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WootenClen

Honestly it's pretty difficult to guage what a non-watcher would like. I had a friend who was super into stuff like Watchmen and Dr. Who. He was a serious guy, studied maths in university, very calm person. So when he asked what I recommended I told him Darker than Black and Cowboy Bebop which to me seemed very palatable for someone not acquainted with sort of those weird japanese grozit that usually exists within anime and you just come to see as natural once you're in the business for a while.
    Anyway he reported back the next day saying he didn't like either so I just left it thinking even those shows were too weird or too japanish for him.
    Then a while later he suddenly tells me he likes anime so I'm like what? and you know what got him hooked? You won't believe it because I didn't.
    Goddamn Chibi Vampire. I'm not joking. Chibi Vampire was someone's first anime and it was his and he liked it.
    I think I literally just said "what?" and laughed for like a minute straight. Seriously google myanimelist or something and check what chibi vampire is. It's so weird.

So anyway the point of this story is that you can never really tell what gets someone into anime. I myself got into anime because of Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt (yep, that's the first anime I watched).

Senior Member Tsundere Magus will become famous soon enough Tsundere Magus's Avatar
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-22-2021 07:17 AM
    Threads

Depends on the person. I would consider one from my top depending on the genre the interested people enjoys the most. I would say, always start with one of those 'mainstream' anime. They are popular for something, and if the newbie likes them, they might experiment more. Steins;Gate is a good example, between my favourites. It is quite adult with a young touch, goes into comedy and deep topics at the same time. I would like to recommend Clannad or stuff like that, but I am sure it is not for everyone. Particularly if you dislike romance or drama!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kumagawa View Post
    So anyway the point of this story is that you can never really tell what gets someone into anime. I myself got into anime because of Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt (yep, that's the first anime I watched).
    I never watched Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. I know I need to. I love dumb, but fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsundere Magus View Post
    Depends on the person. I would consider one from my top depending on the genre the interested people enjoys the most. I would say, always start with one of those 'mainstream' anime. They are popular for something, and if the newbie likes them, they might experiment more. Steins;Gate is a good example, between my favourites. It is quite adult with a young touch, goes into comedy and deep topics at the same time. I would like to recommend Clannad or stuff like that, but I am sure it is not for everyone. Particularly if you dislike romance or drama!
    Steins;Gate is a good one to recommend to those who like sci-fi. It's also a good one for those who like off-beat characters. Some may be put off by the plot twist which went from comedy to tragedy, though I did like the change of mood.

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Spike and Jet are the two lovable anti-heroes from Cowboy Bebop. They are cooler than cool. This scene is from the movie spin-off from the series.

I really hated the way the series ended though.

11. Likes Tsundere Magus liked this post
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

If your uninitiated friend likes a "slice of life," introduce him/her to Nana. Two young women try to cope in the modern world, with the occasional broken heart:

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Vampire Hunter D was one I saw as a kid.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Vampire Hunter D was one I saw as a kid.
    I watched that one some years back. I don't remember the details. If I remember correctly, wasn't he a vampire himself? Or a half-vampire. Wasn't D a reference to Dracula? It certainly was good enough to be copied a few times over.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

There are shows more insane than Durarara, not not nearly as fun. This scene is actually from DurararaX2:

Sorry, no subtitles. But this scene doesn't need one. For an anime virgin, Durarara will show just how fun insanity can be.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I mentioned Kuroko's Basketball as a sports anime I would recommend to an anime newbie:

On second thought, I would first recommend Haikyu!!. Both have very similar plotlines and story development, only Haikyu!! is better at developing the characters.

On third thought, I would recommend both. Although with the artwork for Haikyu, it looks like their faces are coming through the net.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Lain, sometimes referred to as Serial Experiments Lain, is about a shy, withdrawn schoolgirl who has yet to meet the mature levels of her classmates. Or is she? This is the climax of episode 2:

You really have to give this series multiple watchings to discover all the nuances. Outside of being a good dark anime, first timers will see that the complexities of many anime challenge the mind of the viewer.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    I watched that one some years back. I don't remember the details. If I remember correctly, wasn't he a vampire himself? Or a half-vampire. Wasn't D a reference to Dracula? It certainly was good enough to be copied a few times over.[COLOR="Silver"]
    It was originally a series of novels, but it's the distant future and vampires rule, except there's a dampire named D (who looks suspiciously like their leader Dracula)

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ Then what anime am I thinking about?

And where did that soundtrack come from?

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ Then what anime am I thinking about?
    No idea

And where did that soundtrack come from?
    Seriously!? You don't know that? Did you listen to the song?

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Seriously!? You don't know that? Did you listen to the song?
    Why do you think I asked? It doesn't sound familiar.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Why do you think I asked? It doesn't sound familiar.

You've never seen Disney's Beauty and the Beast?

Here's another song from the same movie... which also contains scenes from anime I'd recommend to newbies.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ It must have come from the stage production, which I have never seen. I saw the movie, which was inspired by the Jean Cocteau film, and the recordings you posted did not come from the movie. Tale as Old as Time in the movie was sung by Angela Lansbury, and what you posted was certainly not Angela Lansbury.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I'm adding another Miyazaki film to the list. The other day, I watched Kiki's Delivery Service for the first time. Yeah, it took me long enough to get around to it. Here Kiki gets some advice:

Kiki's Delivery Service is a great family film, perfect for younger kids, without losing any of the artistry.

However, I would not recommend it to someone who thinks all cartoon animation is for kids. First recommend a more adult anime, then show them Kiki.

Oh, and try to watch the original Japanese dub with subtitles. After Disney purchased the US distribution rights, they screwed around with their English translation, even changing the ending a bit.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ It must have come from the stage production, which I have never seen. I saw the movie, which was inspired by the Jean Cocteau film, and the recordings you posted did not come from the movie. Tale as Old as Time in the movie was sung by Angela Lansbury, and what you posted was certainly not Angela Lansbury.
    No the first one was from the cartoon. Gaston getting the villagers after the Beast.

Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ It has been a while since I saw the Disney movie.

But I do have a funny story about the Cocteau version. A few years back, I went to a screening, and there was a woman there with her three young daughters, ages approximately 5, 7, and 9 or 10. Apparently she read of the film being shown, and she thought it was for kids. When the film ended, the oldest girl leaped to her feet and yelled out, "That was great!" The mother slowly rose and said, "I didn't get it."

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Try this one.

Maybe this Beauty and Beast song ill remind you of stuff.. .

Last edited by Clayton_n; 01-10-2022 at 05:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information