Some time back, I reviewed the series Violet Evergarden, and then later the first movie based on that series. Links here:

https://www.animeforum.com/showthrea...ergarden-(2018)
https://www.animeforum.com/showthrea...ory-Doll-(2019)

Now comes Violet Evergarden: The Movie, which should be called The Second Movie, but let’s not go there. The movie picks up where the series left off and tells us what happened in the rest of Violet’s live. Since anyone who has never seen the series would be confused by basically coming into the middle of the tale, the first 30 minutes are spent reviewing the series as flashbacks. It is not done very well, and quite frankly you should not see this film until you first watch the series.

Before I go further, I should explain that Violet was an orphan who was trained as a military killing machine. After the war, and after losing both arms and receiving mechanical replacements, Violet goes to work for a postal company as a “Doll,” one who writes letters for those who cannot express themselves. In this new job, she first learns about humanity and human emotions. It is Violet's job as a Doll which is the focus of the series, so don't let the part about her being a military killing machine fool you into thinking this is an action anime. It isn't.

So after the stage is set, the movie's narrative gets pretty good. We have two plot-lines. The first is Violet taking on as a client a young boy on his deathbed trying to put into words his feelings towards his parents and brother. The second is Violet’s seemingly hopeless dream of being reunited with the man she loves. Both provide the viewer with some heartbreaking moments, and both are worth watching. So sit patiently through the first half hour or so, and you will be rewarded.

The animation is well done for the most part, though here and there you can see where shortcuts were taken using unmoving backdrops. The voice acting in the English dub fits perfectly. The background music is at times soothing, and at other times melancholy, and at all time emotional.

So get your box of tissues ready. Sit back for Violet Evergarden: The Movie.