AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anime with Multiple Storylines

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Question Anime with Multiple Storylines

I am looking for anime with multiple storylines. What I don’t mean is an anime where one story ends then another begins. What I am looking for are anime with various plots and stories being told simultaneously; that is, at the same time. I came up with a few.

Durarara and DurararaX2. Celty looks for her head. Izaya has his many plots. Mikado struggles with the Dollars. Shinra romances Celty. Anri has her enemies. For the second series, add a mobster’s missing granddaughter, a team of Russian assassins, and a dissident branch of the Dollars. A lot is going on here, and you have to keep up!

Baccano. On the same level as Durarara, there are several stories going on at once involving gangsters, immortals, and basic psychopaths. And Isaac and Miria are in the middle of all of them – even if they are too stupid to know what’s really going on.

Boggiepop Phantom. As Touka and Nagi separately go after the Manticore, we get the stories of various characters losing their minds, lives, and whatever else. Events are not in chronological order, so pay attention.

B Gata H Kei: Yamada’s First Time. Yamada is the most beautiful girl in school. She is also an idiot, and she’s a virgin. Vowing to have sex with 100 guys, her first pick is a hapless fellow virgin named Takashi. While Yamada’s efforts go for naught, we also have the story of her rival Kyoka and her sexual attraction to her brother, as well as a love triangle or two. It’s been a while since I watched this, but that’s what I remember.

Please! Teacher! It’s been a while since I watched this one as well. The main story is high school student Kai and his love affair with his teacher (and space alien) Mizuho. From what I remember, there were various other little love affairs going on, in addition to Mizuho making her alien masters a bit angry. Anyone else remember this anime?

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. The main story is about a group of teens forming a band and aiming for the top. There is also the main character Koyuki’s relationship with Maho, Ryusuke’s problems with an American mobster, and a bad case of bullying.

Carole and Tuesday. A mismatched pair of young ladies team up over their love of music. Meanwhile, Tuesday’s corrupt mother is running for president, illegals, such as Carole, are marked for deportation, and rival Angela is facing a breakdown.

Your turn.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-08-2022 08:50 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Default Re: Anime with Multiple Storylines

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun and Toaru Majutsu no Index both have that (especially in the later seasons), but it's more like there's one clear "main" one and a couple side ones going at the same time. The Alicization arc of SAO also has this in parts but it's not all that much. Fruits Basket also kinda has that too but in that case the individual plot lines are a lot closer.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Opps! Forgot one. 7 Seeds. Seven groups of seven people each awaken in the future with the mission of renewing Earth. We get several backstories, front stories, current stories, and story stories.

Stay tuned.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The various plots of Durarara and DurararaX2 keep crisscrossing each other; such as this little friction between the Yellow Scarfs and the Dollars, in which Dhikage Rokujou, a character introduced in X2, involves himself for some reason.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

In Baccano, we have the stories of gangsters, immortals, and your normal, everyday psychopath and sociopath. And they all intersect. Even little Carole is confused until it is all explained to her:

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Here's another one I forgot. Castlevania, although it is not a Japanese anime. But this US/South Korean production is influenced heavily by Japanese anime.

The first episodes are simply telling the story of Dracula taking revenge on the human race for his human wife's murder. But later we get several stories told at the same time. Camilla hatches a plan to have the world ruled by female vampires. Isaac raises an army of demons. Trevor and Sypha not only become lovers, but also demon hunters for hire. Plus we get new characters and their stories. Eventually they all end up where the series started.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Boogiepop Phantom gives us several stories about some very disturbed people told simultaneously. But all things must come to a conclusion:

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

B Gata H Kei: Yamada’s First Time sub-plots include Kanejou's rivalry with Yamada, and her lust for her brother. But the rivalry takes precedents as she is willing to give (force?) herself on Takashi.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

MAZe had a side story for the fairy.

Pokemon has a few stars besides Ash.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Please! Teacher! is about the love between a high school boy, who is really older than he looks, and his space alien teacher. It's been a while, but I remember there being sub-plots about various other affairs going on in school. Unfortunately, I can't find a clip on those. This will have to do:

The Japanese educational system is weird, if the anime are accurate.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Primarily, Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad is about kids trying to make it as a rock band. First time teen romance is one of the subplots:

Junior Member Erikson994 is on a distinguished road Erikson994's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-01-2021 06:17 AM
    Threads

Fate franchise probably? I swear this series is extremely convoluted even to this day.
    Last edited by Erikson994; 10-11-2021 at 05:22 AM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Erikson994 View Post
    Fate franchise probably? I swear this series is extremely convoluted even to this day.
    Yup. All the sub-plots add up to the main story-line, but at the same time many are independent of each other.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Last on my list, Carole and Tuesday is about two girls from different backgrounds teaming up to make music. Then there is also the story of Angela, a rival who is also trying to make it big. Only Angela has some crippling mother issues.

Member pathospades is on a distinguished road pathospades's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2021 06:03 PM
    Threads

s.CRY.ed
    Btooom! (maybe? It's been a while since I've watched it)
    Code Geass
    Mekakucity Actors

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by pathospades View Post
    s.CRY.ed
    Btooom! (maybe? It's been a while since I've watched it)
    Code Geass
    Mekakucity Actors
    s.CRY.ed I know I've seen, but I don't remember anything about it.

Code Geass pretty much was one story, with all the personal and behind he scenes plots actually being part of the story. So I don't know about that one.

The others I have not seen. Details! Please give us details!

Member pathospades is on a distinguished road pathospades's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2021 06:03 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    s.CRY.ed I know I've seen, but I don't remember anything about it.

Code Geass pretty much was one story, with all the personal and behind he scenes plots actually being part of the story. So I don't know about that one.

The others I have not seen. Details! Please give us details!
    s.CRY.ed is a story between two protagonists. Kazuma grew up poor, but he has a strong sense of kindness. The story mostly features him. Then we have an anti-hero who grew up rich and cold-feeling. The two form their rivalry and end up living in opposite circumstances, causing them to change their philosophies a bit. They have a common villain and take him down, but at the end of the story, they still piss each other off so much that they'll still try to kill each other.

Btooom is probably reaching now that I think about it. It's about people entering a deathmatch on an island against their will, so you have all these characters forming their own party and killing each other. It's all fun, but there's a protagonist who is 50% moral, 50% prodigy, and 100% stupidly moral so he gets plot armor.

I should probably retract my statement because those titles don't really qualify. All except maybe Mekakucity Actors.

Mekakucity Actors is one that I have not seen... mostly because I pay attention to the music videos. The anime came out after the music videos. From what I understand so far from the story is that people are granted some special powers along with some red eyes, but these powers draw them to situations that frells up their lives really.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ What are the multiple story lines?

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yup. All the sub-plots add up to the main story-line, but at the same time many are independent of each other.[COLOR="Silver"]
    True. I think that's partly why it's hard to get in for beginner. Like "where to begin?" "Do I need to watch this before that?" etc...

The first one I watched was Fate Stay Night Heaven's Feel, then I was told that I've to play the original light novel to "feel story". Well probably would give it a try someday.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Erikson994 View Post
    The first one I watched was Fate Stay Night Heaven's Feel, then I was told that I've to play the original light novel to "feel story". Well probably would give it a try someday.
    I thought I had seen all the series from the Fate series, but I never heard of Heaven's Feel. Is that a new one?

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I thought I had seen all the series from the Fate series, but I never heard of Heaven's Feel. Is that a new one?
    I don't think so. Apparently it's based on this third route called Heaven's Feel in Fate/Stay Night VN. There are 3 movies (or should I say 3 episodes to be more precise?) and all of them are already aired.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The movie Trick R Treat has multiple storylines and began as an animated short...

Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Member Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-06-2022 03:44 AM
    Threads

Yugioh and Dragon ball, sort of

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

But doesn't Dragonball just give us one story at a time? I'm thinking about multiple stories at the same time.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Level-E has a lot of unconnected stuff going on.

School Rumble

SGT Frog and its connected series Seven of Seven

Last edited by Clayton_n; 10-21-2021 at 03:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information