AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Everyman Characters

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Exclamation Everyman Characters

This one is sort of related to the “slice of life” thread, only I am looking at specific characters.

So what is an “everyman?” Let’s use the Merriam-Webster definition: the typical or ordinary person. Of course, there are not too many characters in anime who are typical or ordinary, so I will use a broad interpretation. Also, I am including everywoman/boy/girl in the definition of “everyman.”

So in no particular order:

Saitama from One Punch Man. Now by definition, no superhero can be an everyman. But Saitama is an exception. Take away his super-strength, and what do you have? A typical nebbish. When not fighting evil, the somewhat naïve Saitam’s interests do not seem to move past grocery shopping and playing video games. The comic theme of this series seems to be what happens when an average guy becomes a superhero. He pretty much remains average.

Retsuko from Aggretsuko. Sure she’s a cute, little panda. She’s also in her late 20’s, has no romantic attachments or realistic prospects, and she is stuck in a job which she hates and is leading her nowhere. Sound familiar? Know anyone like this? Maybe you recognize yourself? Retsuko is a monument to the middle-class, single working girl.

Legosi from Beastars. He may be a wolf, but he is also a tall, gangly awkward, socially limited teen trying to figure out his place in the world. His attachment to a cute dwarf bunny may be his salvation – or not. This is the Legosi of season one. Season two is pretty good, but here Legosi seems to be a little less of an everyman, though he is just as conflicted.

Carole and Tuesday from Carole and Tuesday. Two for one! Carole is a child of the streets. Tuesday is a child of a prominent politician. Both love music, and they team up to break the mold and produce songs from the heart and not some computer. Not being anything special makes them special.

The entire cast from Silver Spoon. I can’t pick out just one character. The kids attending an agricultural high school are plain ordinary kids from plain ordinary farming families, who have some real world issues and difficulties to overcome.

Maybe more later, as I run this through my mind.

Meanwhile, list your favorite everyman character. Include the anime and say something about him/her, including why they are an everyman.
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 09-02-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Default Re: Everyman Characters

By definition, a superhero is not an everyman, but Saitama is the exception. He even looks ordinary, and is more concerned about udon noodles than the fight. From One Punch Man:

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From Aggretsuko, has everywoman Retsuko finally found the man for her? Maybe, maybe no.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

At least in season one of Beastars, Legosi represents the everyman student. He is awkward, shy, and has no idea how to deal with his first feelings of love.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Everygirls Carole and Tuesday go against the computerized trend and produce songs from the heart as they try to enter the world of music.

Senior Member Tsundere Magus will become famous soon enough Tsundere Magus's Avatar
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-22-2021 07:17 AM
    Threads

Interesting, Saitama is in the list, but the guy I think about first is not him, but... a different hero. Mumen Rider, AKA Satoru. Fun stuff. Love this guy!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

As I said, superheroes are generally not an "everyman." Saitama is an exception since his daily routines seem to be grocery shopping and video games.

What makes Satoru an everyman? And who is he? From what anime?

And as long as I am here, let me just give you three everyday, normal farm boys and their desires. Agricultural everymen from Silver Spoon:

I'll be gone for a few days. I'll try to add to the list when I get back.

Senior Member Tsundere Magus will become famous soon enough Tsundere Magus's Avatar
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-22-2021 07:17 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    As I said, superheroes are generally not an "everyman." Saitama is an exception since his daily routines seem to be grocery shopping and video games.

What makes Satoru an everyman? And who is he? From what anime?
    Satoru, AKA Mumen Rider, is from the same series as Saitama. The guy with the bike who gave everything to stop evil even if he couldn't. There is not a lot he can do, his power is just body enhancement, but much weaker than Saitama's training. I am surprised about your question here, he appears quite early in the series! The character is based on self-improvement, he is far from being powerful in a superhero world, must be the closest to Saitama, actually. And one of the few ones who are aware of the MC's power level.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ Don't remember him. It's been a while since I watch the series.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

Paprika of course.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by clayton_n View Post
    paprika of course.
    What?

As I recall, she wasn't even real within the context of the story. (Then again, I haven't seen that movie for years.) But how is she an everyman, or should I say an everywoman?

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Not her, but pretty much everyone else in the show.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Not her, but pretty much everyone else in the show.
    OK. How so?

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Should I start with the detached psychiatrist, the overweight computer geek, the cop, or the two bartenders?

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Should I start with the detached psychiatrist, the overweight computer geek, the cop, or the two bartenders?
    Take your pick.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I did. Like i said, most of the guys in that movie are pretty average at the start.

Same for like Summer Wars or really most anyone.

Do they have to stay normal through the whole movie or series?

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Do they have to stay normal through the whole movie or series?
    They just have to represent normal, everyday people.

That family in Summer Wars was a bit on the odd side. I guess they would see themselves as normal. Heck, my family sees themselves as normal!

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The main characters was a computer programmer.

Anyway this is a very broad category. And technically even wizards tend to see themselves as normal. Look at Kiki's Delivery Service. Nobody really thought it was odd a 13 year old with went off to live by herself for a year.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Anyway this is a very broad category. And technically even wizards tend to see themselves as normal. Look at Kiki's Delivery Service. Nobody really thought it was odd a 13 year old with went off to live by herself for a year.
    Of course no one thought it would be odd. It's an anime!

I never watched the whole movie. (I know I should.) But was Kiki intended by the filmmakers to be an everyman, or in her case an everygirl?

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

How about Ash? A lot of people might think it odd that his mom was okay sending a 10 year old out on the road unsupervised.

Then again what do you do when said 10 year old has unquestioned control over a fire breathing rabbit or something? It's "here's a backpack and a bus ticket, write when you send money."

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

How about Ash? A lot of people might think it odd that his mom was okay sending a 10 year old out on the road unsupervised.

Then again what do you do when said 10 year old has unquestioned control over a fire breathing rabbit or something? It's "here's a backpack and a bus ticket, write when you send money."
    Odd for a 10 year old to be unsupervised? How long have you been watching anime? You know better than that.

But having control over a fire breathing rabbit really does not fit in with being an everyman.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Well I mean while they have a living parent. Usually the parents die or move away (to stay alive) and leave the kids int he care of an irresponsible and senile old man and THEN something mystical happens.

Last edited by Clayton_n; 10-07-2021 at 06:30 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ I also mean when they have a living parent, and they are left on their own. No wild parties. No staying up late. Going to school on time. They ain't human!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yesterday, I mentioned The Devil is a Part-Timer under a different thread. It got me thinking. Isn't Sadao an everyman? Sure, he is actually Satan bidding his time in modern day Tokyo, but he too has to work for a living. In his case, it's a fast food "restaurant." Then there's the Hero Emilia who has come to Earth to hunt Satan down. But she also has to work to make money to live. And so Emilia becomes a telemarketer.

Then various other demons show up, and they all adjust to live in Tokyo by becoming normal, everyday dudes.

Demons and warrior heroes by definition are not an everyman. But the humor of The Devil is a Part-Timer is that they become just that. The Demon Lord is concerned about his job, making ends meet, and the usual every-day problems we normal folk have to deal with:

Last edited by PictureGuy; 10-16-2021 at 06:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information