Tatsu and Miku are a modern, non-traditional Japanese couple. Miku is a career woman with an up and coming job, leaving Tatsu to do the laundry, clean the house, do the shopping, and cook the meals. Oh, and Tatsu is a former gang boss. But he has given up the yakuza life to seek The Way of the Househusband.

Now I know this would sound like a dark, dramatic series with Tatsu living with his secret pass, and if found by his enemies it would endanger his family. Don’t worry. This is a fish out of water comedy. Actually, it’s what I like to call “Dumb, but Fun.” Each short episode has even shorter stories, none related to another, showing Tatsu trying to adapt his yakuza ways to his new domestic life. The situations are ridiculous, but that’s what Dumb, but Fun is all about. It did take me a while to adjust to the humor, but after I did I wanted more.

The artwork is good, but the animation shows no effort. But I have seen this before in Dumb, but Fun. Cromartie High also had animation which looked like it was done on the cheap, but it enhanced the comedy. It’s much the same with The Way of the Househusband. So I assume the low cost animation was intentional.

The English dub is perfect, especially Jonah Scott as Tatsu. He also is known for Beastars, another anime I wrote about here.

There is comic violence, and as expected with yakuza characters, a lot of profanity. So keep this in mind when the kids are in the room.

The Way of the Househusband is too short a series, especially when it takes a few episodes for the humor to sink in. But a second season is forthcoming. Check it out.