AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dark Anime

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Thumbs up Dark Anime

It’s dark anime time! In the words of the late Leonard Cohen, you want it darker.

So here are some of my favorite dark anime series/movies. Post yours, and tell us about them.

In no particular order:

Hell Girl. As punishment for her crimes (revealing what would be too much of a spoiler), young Ai is denied the luxury of death. Instead she must live on bringing vengeance for those who log onto her website at midnight and type in the name of the victim. She will send your tormentor to hell. The price for her services is that you also must go to hell. The original series had three seasons, of which season 2 was the darkest and the best. Recently a fourth season was released, but I haven’t seen that one yet.

Boggiepop Phantom. The drab color scheme fits this tale of mental anguish. There are several story-lines, all seem to revolve around an urban legend. The series requires several watchings as the episodes are not in chronological order. Even the scenes within episodes are not in chronological order. But that is part of the charm.

Death Note. A bored Shinigami let’s high school genius Light Yagami use his notebook to kill criminals. Soon the world’s foremost detective is on Light’s trail and a battle of wits ensues. Do good guys always win? Watch.

Monster. This is one long series, but it is well worth your time to watch every second. Japanese born doctor Kenzou Tenma is framed for murders committed by a former patient named Johan. Tenma travels through the underbelly of Europe, uncovering one secret after another, trying to track down Johan before he kills again. And Johan does – or manipulates others to do his dirty work.

Perfect Blue. This is my choice for a Halloween anime. It’s directed by the late Satoshi Kon, director of Tokyo Godfathers and Paranoia Agent. He left this world way too soon. Now about the movie, Mima is a member of a three-girl J-pop singing group, with a streaky clean reputation. But that image is due for a change, as Mima leaves her singing career to become an actress. Only someone is not so happy with the change. Who is it? Is it Mima herself? Bodies fall, and Mima says sayonara to her sanity.

Paranoia Agent. Did someone mention Paranoia Agent? Well, it does have one darkly funny episode. But the rest of the series is just dark. Some kid is going around town whacking people on the head with a twisted metal baseball bat. A shy, quiet designer seems to be in the center of it all. Prepare to meet some pretty disturbed people.

B: The Beginning. Someone is killing off criminal low lifes, and a lone wolf cop joins a specialized investigative force to find out who. We find out who early on, but nothing is as it seems.

Lain aka Serial Experiments Lain. You know that girl from the 9th grade who seemed to be behind the rest of the class intellectually, socially, and maturity? That’s Lain. But who is Lain really? She grows up fast when she finds herself in the middle of a plot which could change or eliminate her existence.

Ajin: Demi-Human. Mr. Sato has got to be the nicest mass murder you would ever want to meet. And you can’t kill him because he is immortal. So is schoolboy Kai who gets on Sato’s wrong side when he refuses to join the revolution.

Your turn.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Default Re: Dark Anime

From Hell Girl, Ai makes you an offer you CAN refuse. But it is surprising how many tortured souls still take the deal.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Trailer for Boogiepop Phantom:

Let the madness and insanity begin.
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 03-05-2021 at 09:58 AM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The Death Note(book) gives Light the power of life or death over his victims.

But as you can see, Ryuk gets the joke.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From Monster, only in the world of anime can you find Germans speaking Japanese.

Also, only in anime can you find a killer as cool and clean as the psychotic Johan.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From Perfect Blue:

Life can be so much fun for a former J-Pop star.

OK. So there is that part about losing your sanity. But other than that. . . .

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

When they Cry

Pet Shop of Horrors

Yamishibai

In/Spectre

]Hells

Last edited by Clayton_n; 03-08-2021 at 12:52 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I've heard about When They Cry, but outside of a few clips on YouTube, I have never watched it. Someday perhaps I will get that chance.

On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being some kiddie show, and with 10 being Elfin Lied, how would your rate When They Cry?

Wait a minute! Why did I not remember to put Elfin Lied on my original list? That's a major oversight by me.

9. Likes mimiruchan liked this post
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

In Paranoia Agent, we meet many a disturbed individual.

But L'il Slugger will make it all better.

Then there is that one comic episode, but it is deeply darkly comic.

Satoshi Kon left this world way too soon.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Kaku Ren Bo.

It wills care you

Oh and Aeon Flux
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Kaku Ren Bo.

It wills care you

Oh and Aeon Flux
    I remember Aeon Flux. That goes way back. It's not anime, but I'll accept it.

What's the other one?

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From B: The Beginning:

It's been longer than I thought. I really don't remember that one scene, although parts seem familiar. Maybe I should re-watch before the sequel comes out.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

A dark and disturbing moment from Lain:

When I first watched this scene, I thought Lain was merely repeating something that her father told her. But after re-watching the series one or two times, I realized that I had missed an important clue as to what was really going on.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Wicked City
    Vampire Hunter D
    Petshop of Horrors
    Xxxholic
    Hellsing
    Murcielago

Last edited by Clayton_n; 08-23-2021 at 05:04 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Hellsing skipped my mind. It does get pretty dark, although watching this scene were cute little Seras beats up the tough mercenary is somewhat light hearted and humorous. OK, maybe in a dark way light hearted and humorous.

I didn't care for Hellsing Ultimate. They pushed it a bit too far and at the expense of the story.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I forgot Gunslinger Girl! Young orphan girls are refitted with cyborg parts and trained to be assassins. It's really sad and depressing. These girls try to enjoy life, although they know they are doomed.

Gunslinger Girl II was a letdown, but it was made by a different production team, I believe.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Mushi-Shi has its moments.

Samurai Horror Tales had some too

Last edited by Clayton_n; 03-19-2021 at 01:38 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Mushi-Shi sounds familiar. I might have seen it before. Does it have something to do with hunting demons and such? Refresh my memory.

BTW, that picture looks like me during allergy season.

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

If you think being immortal is so great, try Ajin: Demi-Human on for size.

Available through Netflix Streaming.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Basically a guy goes around looking into Mushi. It's pretty self explanatory.

Aeon Flux is pretty dark.

Senior Member Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts 007 - Squirtle 258 - Mudkip Gabumon
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 12:40 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Season 3 of Digimon: Digital Monsters. Holy c--p that got dark. Haven't watched it since!! lol
    My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yes, season 3 did get pretty dark with the talking hand puppet and all. Myotismon wasn't bad at being bad either.

School Live has it's moments, what with the crazy girl and all. Most zombie anime do.

I found NHK more annoying that dark.

Last edited by Clayton_n; 03-30-2021 at 04:38 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I noticed season 2 of The Promised Wonderland is now on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. How could I forget this one when I made my list? Anyway, I need to catch up on the first four episodes.

Do we find out what really happened to Norman?

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

School live

The story of some cute girls apparently living in their school happily... until you find out there's a zombie plague and one of the main characters is insane and thinks everyone's fine, but spends a lot of her time talkin to people who are long dead as if they were int he room and is incapable of seeing the horrors around her, even as her friends brain the hoard.

What she sees:

What's actually there:

Sabagebu: Survival game Club

basically they claim everything in the anime happens in the girls' imaginations, but they're in a club where they basically constantly shoot each other and we see them splatter blood and brain matter all over the place.

Last edited by Clayton_n; 05-06-2021 at 06:26 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

School Live sounds like my high school.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I'd have preferred the zombies.

Last edited by Clayton_n; 05-12-2021 at 04:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information