AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anime Ghost Characters

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Wink Anime Ghost Characters

Let’s look at your favorite anime characters who are ghosts. By ghosts, I mean anyone who was alive, died, did not come back alive, but did come back. Vampires are not included. Neither are demons, though if you can find a demon ghost that would be acceptable, just explain why they are a ghost. So Alucard from Hellsing, and Ai from Hell Girl, thought great characters, are not included. If a character is borderline, that’s OK.

One more qualification. The character either has to be the main protagonist, or a major supporting character. Do not include a ghost who appears in just one episode of a series.

So in no particular order:

Hiyori from Noragami. Hiyori loses her life saving a young man from being run over in the street. Pity, she really didn’t need to do that since the young man is Yato, a god who ranks below minor gods – but he’s still a god. Using his powers, he brings back Hiyori, though she is still technically dead thus making her a flesh and blood ghost. But Yato is still working on bringing her back all the way.

Eugeo from Sword Art Online: Alicization. A bit of a spoiler here.

Eugeo eventually dies fighting alongside Kirito, but returns as a spirit to give strength to Kirito in his greatest battle. Yes, Eugeo is a virtual character, but in his world he does live and die.

Meiko from Anohana: The Flower That We Saw That Day. Little Meiko dies in a drowning accident. Years later, she returns as a ghost, grown into a teenager, and moves in with her former friend Jinta. Still sweet and innocent, Meiko tells Jinta she returned so Jinta can fulfill her wish. Only she does not remember what that wish was. Maybe it has to do with bringing old friends back together again.

Goku from Dragonball Z. Almost everyone in Dragonball Z is killed at one time or another, and then brought back thanks to the dragonballs. Goku sacrifices himself to stop Cell, but his spirit returns to do battle with Majin Buu. Goku will be brought back alive at some point, but when the Buu thread starts, he is still dead.

Kaori from Your Lie in April. Now stay with me a moment on this one. I am now re-watching the series, and this is a big time spoiler.

In the final episode, as Kosei performs on stage, Kaori is undergoing what she hopes will be lifesaving surgery. Well, it isn’t. At the moment she dies, her spirit appears before Kosei so they can play one last duet together before she passes to the next world. No, I wasn’t crying. I have this cold. . . . And an allergy.

The Soul Reapers from Bleach. I really couldn’t name just one. The Soul Reapers were all once alive, then they died, and then they became Shinigami. But in the context of this series, the Shinigami are more like ghosts. Without their swords, they really have no power.

Lia de Belmount from Le Chevalier D’Eon. Lia is a master swordswoman. A lot of good that does. She gets murdered anyway, so her brother D’Eon joins the secret police to track her murderer down. D’Eon is a pretty good swordsman in his own right, but sometimes sister has to help out by possessing his body.

Tsutomu from Birdy the Mighty: Reload. Even more gender-bending! Inter-planetary cop Birdy can be a little clumsy. While trying to capture a dangerous criminal, she accidentally kills schoolboy Tsutomu. Sending his damaged body back to her world for repairs, Birdy also takes in Tsutomu’s spirit into her own body. It’s the only way to bring him back to life. He may be dead, but Tsutomu gets to share the body of one hot babe. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

Got any of your own?

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

Senior Member Tsundere Magus will become famous soon enough Tsundere Magus's Avatar
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-22-2021 07:17 AM
    Threads

Default Re: Anime Ghost Characters

The first one who came to mind was Hanako, actually.

But then, silly me, almost everyone from the Fate franchise are dead already. Do they count?

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Fate characters? Good question. They were dead, but they come back as. . . ? I'm not sure what category they fall into. It seems more like the writers created their own category. They can be killed, but they come back in the next war. For lack of a better word, I guess you can call them ghosts. I'd like to hear what others think.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

Here is a tender moment from Noragami. Hiyori does something nice for Yato. But don't be fooled by appearances. Hiyori is technically dead. She maintains her body and keeps her spirit in this world only because of Yato's magic.

4. Likes Tsundere Magus liked this post
    Senior Member Tsundere Magus will become famous soon enough Tsundere Magus's Avatar
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Sanae Higashihongan from Rokujouma. She's the ghost living in the home that the main character decides to move in to. And soon enough, comedy goes on towards madness after their encounter.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ I don't know that anime, but she does look like the kind of girl who would cause trouble in an anime.

Meanwhile, the is the sweetest little ghost you ever will meet. Meiko from Anohana: The Flower That We Saw That Day:

I may re-watch that series.

Senior Member Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts 007 - Squirtle 258 - Mudkip Gabumon
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 12:40 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Ghastly!!
    My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .

8. Likes Tsundere Magus liked this post
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Digimon_Sommelier< View Post
    Ghastly!!
    You mean Anohana? Yes, ghastly. But in a sweet way. Even as a ghost, Meiko is a lovable character.

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

From Sword Art On-Line: Alicization, this is what a virtual reality ghost is like:

Made from Kirito's memory, but it still looks like a spirit from the other world.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From Dragonball Z, Goku returns from the other side (look closely for his halo) to face off against Majin Buu.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I couldn't find the exact clip from Your Lie in April that I wanted to post. The only ones I could find were either re-edited by the poster, or had some stupid music attached to it. This is the closest unadulterated clip I could find:

I think this scene comes at the end of the next to last episode setting up the ending. It does not show Kaori's final exit. Marking it as a spoiler seems kind of silly since I did describe the finale in my first post. It's hard to talk about it without giving spoilers. So don't read this thread if you have not yet seen the series. Opps! To late, isn't it?

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Tsundere Magus View Post
    But then, silly me, almost everyone from the Fate franchise are dead already. Do they count?
    I responded before, but the more I think about it, if I can include the Soul Reapers from Bleach, then we should include the Legendary Heroes from the Fate franchise. The writers may have created a new category of their own, but let's go ahead and include both.

You too can have the cool powers of a Soul Reaper. But first you have to die and lose your memory of who you were in this world.

Angelic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I suggested it above, since Servants in the Fate franchise tend to be more... sofisticated? As quoted from the TYPE-MOON wiki, we have...

> "Servants are spirits made into special familiars of the highest rank, referred to as Ghost Liners by the Mage's Association, that are bound to the Master. Typically Heroic Spirits under most systems, they can also sometimes be Divine Spirits, Phantoms, Wraiths, and living people depending on various circumstances."

So, in the end, it depends on the character itself. I just wanted to state my words from the other day a bit better!

I think Shinigami from Bleach were stated as dead in all scenarios, so it works all the time?

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Tsundere Magus View Post
    I think Shinigami from Bleach were stated as dead in all scenarios, so it works all the time?[/COLOR]
    The way I understand it, Shinigami are gods and not ghosts. But the Soul Reapers are certainly not gods. That is why I considered them to be closer to being ghosts, even if they may not be exactly ghosts. The writers seem to have given the terms different meanings -- which is OK as it helps tell the story. Poetic license is acceptable.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From Le Chevalier D'Eon, D'Eon is reunited with his sister Lia -- from beyond the grave. And he gets a nice dress in the bargain!

What's a ghost story without a bit of gender bending?

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

If Le Chevalier D'Eon does not contain enough gender bending for you, there's always Birdy the Mighty.

Yeah, this trailer doesn't really show you what the series is all about. And it's for Decode, no Reload. Maybe they are the same? There's really does not seem to be much loaded up for this series. Sorry.

Angelic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Everything about Death Parade. Every single detail is about the mysterious land of the after life. They are not ghosts, but at the same time, it is quite close to it. It keeps style up, it is beautifully pretty graphically, in my opinion, and it has a lot of charms as a show! The best of it should be, again, in my opinion, that catchy opening theme that takes you away from death before you get deeper into the plot. I believe it was quite popular when it aired, and it kept me looking at the screen without doubting.

Quite a stereotype, but have I mentioned the huge crush I have on Decim, the bartender? Hah!

As with every show, maybe it is not the cup of tea for everyone. But for me, it was awesome. If any of you have not sunk into it yet, give it a try!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ What's the storyline?

Angelic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    ^ What's the storyline?
    Death Parade are a series of connected stories of the "Afterlife". People who have died end up in this small bar where the bartender and his assistants decide on the "ghosts"' fate. It is quite abstract, but it is the decision between disappearing or going forward. Oblivion or reincarnation, that sort of stuff. And it is decided through games, such as darts!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ I like the idea of ending up in a bar after death. What brands of bourbon do they carry?

Angelic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Focus is not actually on the drinks themselves! Not that I am an expert in the matter, considering I only know about drink names because of Detective Conan. Anyway!

Imagine you have two doors, and depending on what kind of actions you did in life decide on which door you will be passing. Of course, when you meet the bartender, you don't have memories of your previous life. May it be good? May it be bad? You don't even know if you are dead to start with. Do you have regrets? You will find out as soon as you put a foot in this place. Main focus of Death Parade, this small summary.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

No memories of your previous life? It sounds like the Soul Reapers from Bleach. It also sounds a bit like Angel Beats; if I am correct in remembering that those characters did not, at least at first, remember their past lives. But the Angel Beats characters are not ghosts. They're just dead.

Angelic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

And I suppose Death Parade characters can't be called ghosts either. The residents of the bar itself, though, on the other hand, are beings that take rules away easily... So maybe they could fall into the spirits category? You would have to watch to compare, indeed. Maybe it is indeed more abstract than I thought. It is not as if I watched it recently, it was a few years ago already, either way!

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

There are a LOT of ghosts in anime. including characters who died and came back. It'd help if you narrowed it down. I literally just saw the anime movie "Hells" which takes place in hell. Are all people in the afterlife considered ghosts?

Last edited by Clayton_n; 02-22-2021 at 06:21 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Are all people in the afterlife considered ghosts?
    That's the question of the moment. My own felling is just because a person is dead it does not mean they are a ghost. If they come back and are still dead, and they have not turned into a demon or a vampire, then they are ghosts. But if they stay in the afterlife? To me they are just souls of the departed. But that's just me, and I am only about 75% sure on that one. So I am open to anyone changing my mind.

Just remember:

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

If they're in the afterlife, if they have bodies (even rotting ones)... unless they've possessed them... do Soul Reapers count or are they a type of god? Vampires... seriuously give us some details onwhatr you think a ghost is, though I've posted a lot in your urban legend thread.

Last edited by Clayton_n; 03-02-2021 at 04:50 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

We were discussing the Soul Reapers above. They are sort of a category of their own, but I included them.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information