This is not an anime. But I just had to do a write up on one of the most impressive animated series I have ever seen. The Liberator is an American production directed by Polish born visual effects artist Grzegorz Jankajtys. This is his first major directorial effort.

Set in World War II, The Liberator tells the story of the 157th Regiment, made up of cowboys, Native Americans, and Mexican Americans from Oklahoma. As we are told in the beginning, none of these men would be able to drink together in any bar back home. But they come together under the command of a determined officer named Felix Sparks. Pushing through Europe, they suffer heavy loses and emotional strain.

The story is well written, but it is the characterizations which give the four part series its power. We get to know these men, how they changed, how they lived, how they die, and how they persevere.

But what really makes this series stand out even more is the animation. It is a form of rotoscoping using a new piece of technology known as the Trioscope. It mixes live action with CGI animation to create a realistic look. It certainly catches the emotion on the actors' faces.

The Liberator can be seen on Netflix Streaming. I strongly recommend it.