AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Historical Anime Characters

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Re: Historical Anime Characters

I have a new one. It is Yasuke from the anime of the same name. The main character is based on a real life African warrior who somehow ended up in Japan during feudal times. It is a very short first season, so I will be posting more about it in the review section by the end of the week.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

Dracula

Moses was in Bayblade

Aleister Crowley

H.P. Lovecraft

Hozuki's Cool headedness has a lot because it's based in Hell
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ Dracula was fictional. Count Vlad the Impaler was real.

Wink. Wink.

Last edited by PictureGuy; 06-30-2021 at 05:51 PM.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    ^ Dracula was fictional. Count Vlad the Impaler was real.

Wink. Wink.

That's why i said Dracula. It was the official title.

Sun Wu Kong is technically a historical figure, even if he's supposedly from mythology

Kwan Yin

Jiro Horikoshi. appearedin a miyazaki movie
    https://imgix.ranker.com/user_node_i...650&q=60&dpr=1
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Jiro Horikoshi. appearedin a miyazaki movie
    https://imgix.ranker.com/user_node_i...650&q=60&dpr=1
    I already mentioned him. He was first on my list.

Member RZ. is on a distinguished road RZ.'s Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-27-2021 07:50 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: LickleGrimes

Quote Originally Posted by Tsundere Magus View Post
    Let's rescue a general definition right out from Wikipedia:

The Shinsengumi (新選組, "New Select Brigade") was a special police force organized by the Bakufu (military government) during Japan's Bakumatsu period (late Tokugawa shogunate) in 1863. It was active until 1869. It was founded to protect the shogunate representatives in Kyoto at a time when a controversial imperial edict to exclude foreign trade from Japan had been made and the Chōshū clan had been forced from the imperial court. The men were drawn from the sword schools of Edo.

I was wondering if someone would mention the Shinsengumi here! Another historical figure from Rurouni Kenshin's following arc is Amakusa Shirō. He lead the Shimabara Rebellion (1637-38) against the Tokugawa Shogunate, similar to his story arc in RK.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dca3645a915216b3c0d5195c9abfb922.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	86377

He's also portrayed through Amakusa Shirō Tokisada in Fate/Apocrypha, though the story is less historical.

Name:	b037064494cc15b14460cd2225da3850.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	86378

The historical figure:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amakusa_Shir%C5%8D

7. Likes Tsundere Magus liked this post
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

There are many historical characters in the Fate franchise.

Rider in Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night is Alexander the Great.

Assassin of Black in Fate/Apocrypha is Jack the Ripper, though appearing here as a young girl. So in this case saying this is a historical character is pushing it a bit.

Also from Fate/Apocrypha is William Shakespeare aka Caster of Red.

Of course there is our favorite, King Arthur aka Saber. Although King Arthur is more of a myth than an historical character. She appears in all the Fate series, except in Apocrypha where she is replaced by her daughter. Though if I remember correctly, the original Saber does have a cameo. Yes, in the Fate universe, Arthur is a she!

9. Likes RZ. liked this post
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Of course there is our favorite, King Arthur aka Saber. Although King Arthur is more of a myth than an historical character. She appears in all the Fate series, except in Apocrypha where she is replaced by her daughter. Though if I remember correctly, the original Saber does have a cameo. Yes, in the Fate universe, Arthur is a she!

I just remembered that I wrote an essay for History degree at university comparing different representations of the story of King Arthur in modern TV/film. I compared Fate/stay night with the BBC show Merlin and John Boorman's Excalibur (1981). I remember explaining the plot of F/SN to my lecturer beforehand wondering how she was going to react to a show about a reincarnated female version of King Arthur set in 21st century Japan. Turns out she was pretty hyped about it as her primary research focus was on women in History. She was already a pretty stand out person being in her mid-50s, looking like a typical boring professor, but actually been a giant metal head who could recite entire Iron Maiden albums. I like to think that she watched the show and went on to become a huge weeb too

Senior Member Tsundere Magus will become famous soon enough Tsundere Magus's Avatar
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-22-2021 07:17 AM
    Threads

The Fate franchise is all about historical characters, let them be myths or not. So it is actually cheating in the matter. Wouldn't say there are just 'many', since the character base keeps growing and growing. If only the anime could go that detailed... Ah well. I was just feeling summoned here, not as if I come around to argue or anything. Will keep observing! Always observing.

Also, I love how that essay sounds!

12. Thanks RZ. thanked for this post
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

One problem is that we really don't know enough Japanese history to recognize a lot of the references.

Like in Murcielago they had them re-fighting some famous samurai duel they kept referencing, but...

There are a lot of nazis in anime...

https://www.ranker.com/list/anime-wi...cter/leo-reyna

Last edited by Clayton_n; 07-08-2021 at 06:41 PM.

14. Likes RZ. liked this post
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Name:	brittania.png
Views:	82
Size:	400.6 KB
ID:	86379

The Holy Brittanian Empire is quite clearly some bizzare combination of the old British Empire (see the flag) and the Second Reich (see the names of the nobility), where the "British" identity was formed by the original Anglo-Saxon settlers instead of through centuries of mixing with Norman/Germanic/Danish. There must be a plethora of characters in this series that match up with real historical figures in one way or another. The shows canon history has such figures as George Washington, Julius Caesar, Elizabeth I and Napoleon Boneparte.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by RZ. View Post
    The Holy Brittanian Empire is quite clearly some bizzare combination of the old British Empire (see the flag) and the Second Reich (see the names of the nobility), where the "British" identity was formed by the original Anglo-Saxon settlers instead of through centuries of mixing with Norman/Germanic/Danish. There must be a plethora of characters in this series that match up with real historical figures in one way or another. The shows canon history has such figures as George Washington, Julius Caesar, Elizabeth I and Napoleon Boneparte.
    I'm thinking more along the lines of an actual character.

I never notice any Code Geass characters I would identify as George, Julie, Liz, or Nap.

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

I'm thinking more along the lines of an actual character.

I never notice any Code Geass characters I would identify as George, Julie, Liz, or Nap.
    I found this old quora thread with some discussion about how Napoleon may have been used as a template for Lelouch, at least in terms of his basic intelligence and the events surrounding him:
    https://www.quora.com/In-the-anime-C...rical-Napoleon

However, the people are listed are just people who feature in the shows canon lore. They're not around by the time of the shows, I just figured there might be some parallels between the characters and other historical figures, but perhaps not.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Does jack the Ripper count?

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I mentioned Jack above from Fate/Apocrypha. And she is such a nice little girl. Only she needs to put on a pair of pants.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

It's just nobody really knows who jack was...

Dinosaur King had a lot since they went time travelling... like Spartacus! Oh and dinosaurs.

Arthur Conan Doyle was in Black Butler. Queen Victoria too.

Anyone know i that author from Requiem From the Darkness was real and wrote the 100 ghost stories?

In ROD (Read or Die) they clone several famous people including Mata hari

Last edited by Clayton_n; 07-16-2021 at 02:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information