AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sports Anime

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Talking Sports Anime

Do you have a favorite sports anime? Or perhaps not a favorite, but a few you did kind of like? What are they? Tell us about them. Here are some of mine, in no particular order:

Big Windup. The star pitcher for a losing high school baseball team always gets the blame for their losses. Going to a new school, he is about to give up on the sport until he meets the new school’s female coach and the team’s catcher who help turn him into a winner. But they do overdue the wuss thing a bit.

March Come in Like a Lion. This is about the trials and tribulations of a teenage shogi master. Shogi is Japanese chess, and I do consider it a sport. At the level our hero plays, it is both psychologically and physically draining. And he does get drained.

Haikyuu. Two high school volleyball players are rivals and hate each other. Then they find themselves on the same team. The anime series actually gives us a good look at most of the players and their stories. We also see things from the losing team’s point of view. Quite odd for a sports anime. But we get some good lessons on team work.

Hi Score Girl. OK, I’m pushing the definition on this one. But video games are a competitive sport, aren’t they? Top players have to be in shape. Here we have the sport in the middle of a teenage love triangle.

Megalo Box. In today’s world of professional prize fighting, fighters are aided by artificial robotic attachments, making their hits harder and more accurate. One Junk Dog decides to go without, and with the aid and sacrifice of friends, gets the crap beaten out of him as he rises to the top. You should see what the losers look like after the bout.

You’re next.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Default Re: Sports Anime

From Big Windup, a time to build confidence:

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

You think table games are not a sport? Shogi can take it's toll, as we look into the mind of our hero.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

High octane volleyball from Haikyuu:

Games I played in when I was a kid where never like this!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I admit listing Hi Score Girl as a sports anime is a bit of a stretch, but the competition can be physically and mentally grueling.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From Megalo Box, the future of the sport:

Notice the hardware on the one fighter.

Someone else post their favorites sports anime. Come on! You must have one.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

Let's see....

Oban Star Racers

My personal favorite sport in every anime is : Stalking!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4983312...Official-Rules

Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Nice parody, but that final shot was clearly out.

Member Kay_Bur is on a distinguished road Kay_Bur's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2021 04:32 AM
    Threads

Wow, I found unfamiliar anime for myself, you need to see when there is time. I already found them and bookmarked them. Thank you very useful topic.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Thumbs up Re: Sports Anime

Quote Originally Posted by Kay_Bur View Post
    Wow, I found unfamiliar anime for myself, you need to see when there is time. I already found them and bookmarked them. Thank you very useful topic.
    Come back and let us know which ones you watch and what you thought.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yu Yu Hakusho and all the fighting tournament animes count, right?

Last edited by Clayton_n; 01-14-2021 at 05:20 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I guess Yu Yu Hakusho could count. But then in the same line of thought, so would all the Dragon Ball series.

I don't remember too much about Yu Yu Hakusho. I watched the first season or a bit more, and it was pretty good. But then it got redundant and boring to me. I stopped watching after a while. I don't remember all that many tournaments. I seem to remember one or two.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Did you see Oban Star Racers?

And yes DBZ would count. Anything with a referee probably counts. Even video games like .hack and Swordart

Last edited by Clayton_n; 01-21-2021 at 08:53 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I have another sports anime to list. It's called Levius, and the sport is metal boxing. Yes, it sounds the same as Megalo Box, only Levius has better characters and better animation. I will reserve judgement on the story for now. I have only gotten through episode 4, but what I have seen I like. I will do a write-up on the series once I complete it.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

And I just started watching yet another sports anime. It's Kuroko's Basketball. It's somewhat similar to Haikyuu, although a different sport. Both have a character who is a bit into himself, and who has to learn the value of team work. The twist in Kuroko's Basketball is the main character who is quite and almost totally unnoticeable, but who uses that to his advantage on the court.

There are 26 episodes on Netflix Streaming, but I am only through episode 4. So I have no final judgement on this one, and it may take a while before I post any review.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Lots of anime have "Sports Festivals".

Last edited by Clayton_n; 02-22-2021 at 05:40 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

But a sports festival episode does not make an anime a sports anime.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

If you're cool with live action Xiao lin Soccer might appeal

Senior Member ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-14-2024 08:26 PM
    Threads

Hajime no Ippo. I mostly recommend the manga, however. I also enjoy Slam Dunk and Initial D.
    Check out my anime reviews at: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/users/hajimenojmo[/URL] and http://blog.honeyfeed.fm/

Senior Member Tsundere Magus will become famous soon enough Tsundere Magus's Avatar
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-22-2021 07:17 AM
    Threads

Ballroom dancing and passion. Lots of it. It is still genred as a sport (and it is). So here you have, ladies and gentlemen!

And... I forgot to name it, hah! Ballroom e Youkoso (Welcome to the Ballroom)

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by ParaParaJMo View Post
    Hajime no Ippo. I mostly recommend the manga, however. I also enjoy Slam Dunk and Initial D.
    Tell us about them.

Senior Member ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-14-2024 08:26 PM
    Threads

Hajime no Ippo is a boxing title. The manga has been in publication for over 30 years now. The anime only covers a small fraction of it. It's about a former bullying victim who takes up boxing.

Slam Dunk is probably one of the biggest titles from the 90s. It's a basketball title...once again, the manga is better.

Initial D is about street racing north of Tokyo.
    Check out my anime reviews at: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/users/hajimenojmo[/URL] and http://blog.honeyfeed.fm/

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by ParaParaJMo View Post
    Hajime no Ippo is a boxing title. The manga has been in publication for over 30 years now. The anime only covers a small fraction of it. It's about a former bullying victim who takes up boxing.
    Sounds interesting. Is it a fairly recent anime?

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Big Windup

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I got Bamboo Blade if you like kendo as a sport.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information