Ready for yet another high school romantic comedy? Yeah, right. That’s the way I felt, but it seems Netflix streaming’s anime list is growing a bit short, so I gave Toradora a shot.

Takasu (the dragon, or dora in Japanese) is a student who frightens people because of his physical appearance, or at least that’s what we are told. The character design actually looks rather ordinary, so if they had not told us this we never would have guessed. But forget that little plot device. The writers mostly do after episode 2.

Taiga (the Tiger, or tora in Japanese) is the new student. Short, but tough with an attitude and a short temper, Taiga is strong enough to be Takasu’s equal and rival. Plus she lives in the building next door with her window directly across from Takasu’s.

And next Taiga and Takasu become unlikely allies. There’s this boy Taiga likes, but she is too shy to approach him. Likewise Takasu has a major crush on a classmate he is afraid to approach. So they agree to help each other break the ice with their intended love.

I won’t go through all the various and competing love triangles in this 25 episode anime series. Let’s just say from the very beginning it is clear how this story will turn out. That was my downfall. I was ready to give up on this series six episodes in, but I just wanted to see if my predictions on the storyline were correct. So I kept watching. Despite no real surprises, I kind of got hooked on the characters. And after a few more episodes, I couldn’t stop watching.

The story, artwork and animation are nothing special. It was the characters that drew me in. Not that they were anything outstanding, but rather once you get to know them they are quite likable.

Toradora is not a great anime, and it is not one I expect to remember this time next year, and I may not talk about it again. But after an unimpressive start, it did become fun to watch.