Weathering with You is the most recent anime feature from Makoto Shinkai, who also directed Your Name, The Garden of Words, and The Place Promised to Us in Our Early Days. That’s quite a resume.

We start out with a teenage runaway named Hodaka. He comes to the big city of Tokyo because. . . . Well, because it is not his home town. Struggling to survive at first, he is befriended by Suga, who is somewhat of a writer working freelance for some less than prestigious magazine, and is given a job cleaning up and going along on interviews with Suga’s other employee, Natsumi.

Then Hodaka meets Hina, and the love story begins. Hina is a “sunshine girl” who has the power to bring out the sun on a rainy day. How about that? It just so happens that this particular summer, Tokyo is experiencing heavy rains daily. Hodaka convinces Hina to use her powers to make a little money. Unfortunately, there is a heavy price.

The artwork is first rate, and so is the animation. The storm sequence includes some fine intricate work. If the story doesn’t get you, the art will. Actually both are pretty engaging.

Weathering with You compares well against Shinkai’s other work which I have seen, although I did like Your Name a bit more. There is occasional profanity; maybe two or three words. There is one scene where Hina partially disrobes, but it is essential for the plot. I would say this film is for young teens to adult.