AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Animation in Japanese Music Videos

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Exclamation Animation in Japanese Music Videos

Here's some fun. Let's look at Japanese music videos which incorporate animation.

I did not post this under the music tab because it is not just the music I am interested in, but the animation as well.

By the way, openings and closings for anime series, or home made fan videos using scenes from anime series do not count!

This one is from Yoh Kamiyama, with animation by Touyouigaku. Sorry. I don't know much about either one. Yoh Kamiyama is apparently an alias - https://vocaloid.fandom.com/wiki/Yukisan. Touyouigaku seems to have done several videos. Maybe I will post more later.

I can see the traditional anime influence in Touyouigaku's work, but I also see even more originality.

Anyone else know more about these two?
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 08-05-2020 at 06:58 PM.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Default Re: Animation in Japanese Music Videos

For most of us, when we think of The Pillows we think of FLCL. Actually, this band has been around for more than 25 years, and the FLCL phase is just a miniscule part of their story.

This official video for Scarecrow is interesting in that instead of high tech anime, we see a throwback. I remember seeing early film animation making use of shadow puppets. So in a country where high tech animation is considered a national art form, seeing this simpler style is somehow refreshing.

Though I have to admit I do not know what to make of the final shot.
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 08-07-2020 at 10:15 AM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Here's an interesting piece. Generally I do not like stills passing as animation, but presentation is important and these drawings are presented well. Art is by Terada Tera and the animation by Ryuusee, both of whom are apparently well known in the world of Japanese animation -- judging from what little I could find on a web search. Anyone else know more about these two?

One character looks a bit like Akira Ono from Hi Score Girl. Checking imdb.com, I did not find Tera's or Ryuusee's names in the credits of that series.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

This one is a bit disturbing.

I don't know the names of the music artists or the animator, but this seems to be video one of a series. From the website http://nowisee.jp/, thanks to Google translate:

nowisee (noise) is a cross-content project in which music and other images and stories are woven together.

The official website was released at 8:08:08 on August 8, 2015, and the MOVIE "Vibration" delivered at the same time achieved 100,000 playbacks in one week. A mysterious story that started from the shocking scene of a girl jumping from a building became a topic.

Nowisee has delivered a variety of content such as new MOVIE release for 24 consecutive months, original NOVEL, and voice drama distribution. I can't keep my eyes off from now on.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Today's video is for a duo called Yorushika. The song is Hitchcock, and it seems like a lively little ditty. But go to the YouTube page to read the lyrics. They certainly don't fit the music.

Someone named Ootori directed the video. I did a web search and could find nothing but links to a recliner chair. I would be grateful for any info.

At first glance, nothing fancy. But keep watching. Notice how ever so slightly the characters' arms and legs move to the beat of the music?

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

How about another collaboration between Yorushika and Ootori? You like?

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

She starts off so soft, and then goes hard. Sayuri is 24 years old and just under 5 feet tall. Her performance is well above her size.

It does not say who did the animation, but you can see of all the videos I have posted so far, this one has the strongest manga-anime influence. Some of those characters remind me of characters in anime I have seen, though they look drawn specifically for this music video.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Music by Eve. He's 25 years old -- and a guy. I don't know why he uses the name Eve. Maybe it means something else in Japanese?

Video by Mah. I couldn't find anything on him. But it is a lively work.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

One last video with the music of Yorushika, just because they are working here with different animators from the above videos. Directed by animators Popurika and Magotsuki, but I am not sure I really care for this style. It does look plain and ordinary, not that I don't appreciate soft and laid back. Why do you think? BTW, I could find no bio-info on the animators. Anyone else know about them?

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

Not all anime is made in Japan. This one's french

Last edited by Clayton_n; 08-20-2020 at 04:16 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

More from Nowisee:

I thought the figures could be a bit more lifelike, but still an interesting work.

From http://www.syncmusic.jp/wordpress/?p=24625:

A six-member unit that keeps their identities concealed.
    The group consists of members each being professionals of different genres. The past CDs the members have contributed have sold more than 15 million copies.
    Your opinion?

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I don't know who did the animation, but the music is from a 23-year-old singer-songwriter called Minani. I really like what I am hearing from these young Japanese artists. Their music is certainly better than what I hear coming out of the West. Anyone know where to buy their albums and CD's?

This video has some disturbing images towards the end. Though I don't understand the lyrics (can anyone translate?), I can follow the story. I like the black/white/grayish color scheme. It is certainly dark, and I like it dark (noir).

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Was the stuff in the Daft Punk videos originally an anime or did thye make it themselves?

Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The Def Pink video is from an anime movie which I would like to forget. I did forget the name. An alien rock band is kidnapped, brought to Earth, and then made to look human as part of some sort of evil plan. It was all done in music with no spoken dialog outside of singing. Interesting concept, but poorly done. Please don't remind me of it again.

Gorillaz is a British band. I had to look them up.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Let's mellow our way into the weekend with another video from Sayuri.

Well, not all that mellow.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    The Def Pink video is from an anime movie which I would like to forget. I did forget the name. An alien rock band is kidnapped, brought to Earth, and then made to look human as part of some sort of evil plan. It was all done in music with no spoken dialog outside of singing. Interesting concept, but poorly done. Please don't remind me of it again.

Gorillaz is a British band. I had to look them up.

17. Dislikes PictureGuy disliked this post
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ I prefer Sayuri or Yorushika.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

This video features Billie Eilish, an American singer/song writer. But the animation is by Takashi Murakami, apparently a leading Japanese artist: http://www.artnet.com/artists/takashi-murakami/

It kind of looks like a bad acid trip. Towards the end, some of the visuals look like the psychedelic art from 50-60 years ago.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

How about another video from Yoh Kamiyama? This one is live action with a bit of animation for background. I can see the influence of the psychedelic art movement from the late 1960's and 70's, particularly Peter Max.

The director is Yuichiro Saeki. The cinematographer is Hikaru Yasuda. A quick search revealed nothing about either, so if you can contribute anything, please do.

Last edited by PictureGuy; 09-02-2020 at 01:48 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

More from Sayuri:

Freaky. No word on who the animator is.

I really would like to find her CD's.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Another video from Eve:

The animation is by Waboku. All I could find on him is this:

https://myanimelist.net/people/48991/Waboku
    https://vocaloid.fandom.com/wiki/Waboku
    https://www.pinterest.com/nitrotaku/...ia-waboku-art/

It looks like Waboku used various styles in this video. I really like the imagery. I find it dramatic with an eye for originality.

Do you like these videos? Should I keep posting?

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

OK, if no one else is interested, I will just wrap this up. Just let me post one more. Let's close this out with The Pillow's song 1989. At first I was not sure if this is an official video, or if it is a fan video (which I am trying to avoid). I determined it is official because of the use of The Pillow's logo at the beginning, and the use of the little dog or bear with teeth. They have used that little animal before and since.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

You know technically a lot of Disney stuff is animated in Japan.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

But it's still Disney.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-08-2022 08:50 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

TIL that Sayuri is absolutely tiny. If you're into Sayuri "2.5D" music videos, the Anonymous one was pretty cool:

I don't usually watch music videos to be honest (I usually click off the tab and do something else while listening) but this one was pretty memorable (no animation though):
    Last edited by Fuukanou; 10-14-2020 at 10:36 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information