As far as I am concerned, Drifting Dragons gets off on the wrong foot. This anime series is about an airship manned by dragon hunters, known as Drakers. They hunt and kill dragons for food an oil, but in the most inhuman way. Hearing the huge beasts cry out in agony is a bit much, especially since there are other sources for food and dragons don’t threaten people – except for this one which another team of Drakers poison only to have it revived blinded and scared in a town. This giant is eventually killed, but in a most torturous way.

I don’t think this was intentional, but maybe Drifting Dragons is a metaphor for the Japanese whaling industry, which slaughters whales to the point of extinction. Watching dragons young and old get hit by exploding lances certainly brings it to mind. No, I am not some radical vegan. But these methods of dragon hunting do cross the line.

As for the series itself, we see things through the eyes of Takita, a cute blonde with little worldly experience who is a rookie and the most inexperienced of the crew. She is likeable, which actually exaggerates the violence and inhumanity of the dragon hunt. Takita is close to the crew, but seems especially drawn to the careless, irresponsible Mika. But the only thing in Mika’s mind is eating dragon meat.

Eventually, the story begins to wear thin. There is a period of about two episodes where the story seems to be going nowhere, and it becomes difficult to pay attention. Interest does pick up when Takita befriends a baby dragon. Is it time for her redemption? No. As she returns the baby to its herd, she promises to kill and eat it the next time they meet. Not exactly what I had in mind for a heartwarming moment.

Great animation, but nothing that can save a weakly conceived storyline. Maybe if the dragons were a danger to mankind, I would be able to get into the series a bit more. It would not have filled the weak points of the narrative, but it would have removed the first strike against the series.

Drifting Dragons is expected to get a season two. I think I’ll pass.