AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Mentally Ill Anime Characters

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Angry Top 10 Mentally Ill Anime Characters

First, there’s this little video:

And now my Top 10 List of mentally ill anime characters, in reverse order! Warning! Some minor spoilers.

10. Death the Kid from Soul Eater. A textbook case of obsessive compulsion disorder. I have known people with OCD, and they are totally functional. But Kid? It often puts his life, and the lives of his weapons, Patty and Liz, in danger.

9. Tatsuhiro Satou from Welcome to the NHK. Tatsuhiro is a “NEET,” someone who lives alone in his apartment and never comes out. He is afraid of the outside world and of any relationship. A high school girl takes it upon herself to cure him. Tall order there.

8. Yumeko Jabami from Kakegurui. At first I was going to list Midari Ikishima, the one-eyed masochist. But Yumeko is the main character, and her gambling compulsion is way out of hand. Winning or losing is of no importance. Only the thrill counts.

7. Mika from Lain. Supposedly Mika is Lain’s big sister, but that’s a major spoiler. She has kind of a cold personality, but seems intelligent enough – until apparently an attack by the Knights gets her instead of Lain. Mika becomes a babbling vegetable. It’s all up for interpretation. The series requires multiple viewings.

6. Mima from Perfect Blue. Goody-goody Mima leaves her all girl pop singing group to become an actress. And along the way her sanity goes sayounara. Someone is upset over Mima’s change of image. Is it a stalker? Or Mima herself? This movie is one of my favorite mind-f*** anime.

5. Nina Einstein from Code Geass. How does a girl from a privileged background go psycho? Well, first she falls in love with Princess Euphemia. Then when Lalouch, who does not know the extent of his own powers, gets Euphemia to go on a murderous rampage, he is forced to kill his favorite half-sister. This is too much for Nina to take, and she goes totally out of control nearly causing a massacre. Nina does get enough control to later build weapons of mass destruction for the government. Yes, Lalouch has his own issues, but Nina going insane is something even he can’t equal.

4. Light from Death Note. A classic sociopath. He can kill, and he feels he is totally justified.

3. Mr. Satou from Ajin: Demi-Human. Satou seems a nice enough guy. He’s the neighbor who invites you over to watch the big game on TV. He’s the buddy who you sit with in a bar exchanging stories. He’s the one person you must invite to your backyard barbeque. Oh, and he kills people. And he’s very good at it. His easy going manner hides a sociopathic mind.

2. Ladd Russo from Boccano. OK, we are definitely in psycho territory now. The one scene were an overjoyed Ladd, soaked with the blood of others, goes skipping happily through the train should tell you everything. What do you expect from a guy who promises the girl he loves he will someday kill her?

1. Johan from Monster. Quiet, easy going Johan does not seem like a threat. But he not only kills, he manipulates others to kill for him. A total psychopath, Johan leaves a trail of bodies all over Europe.

Honorable Mention:

Tsukiko Sagi from Paranoia Agent. Her psychoses is not in her head. Her drawings brought it to life. OK, she's more of a victim herself, which is why she is not in the top ten.

Half the cast from Boogiepop Phantom. Too many to list, but there are more than enough to keep your attention.

Your turn.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Default Re: Top 10 Mentally Ill Anime Characters

I was looking for a clip from Code Geass showing Nina going nuts, but I all could find is this one. Obviously somebody put this in a loop to run it over and over again. But you get the gist of it. If anyone has a better clip, post it. Please?

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From Lain, aka Serial Experiments Lain. Mika after her brain is emptied:

I have no idea what those words on the screen are supposed to be for.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From Ajin: Demi-Human, Satou sure loves his work. Or is it a hobby? Anyway notice his laughter. This clip cuts right before the immortal Satou gets back on his feet. He does not go down that easy.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From Baccano!!, Ladd Russo in one of his more sane moments:

You should see him when he goes crazy!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Soul Eater's Death the Kid can be pretty badass in a fight. But when his OCD takes over, even little things can push him over the edge. Like writing your name on your test paper:

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

An moment of insanity from Kakegurui.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From Monster, Johan heats things up, but he never breaks a sweat:

A true sociopath and psychopath.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From Welcome to the NHK, a look inside the mind of Tatsuhiro Satou:

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From Perfect Blue, Mima says a fond farewell to her sanity:

Well, maybe a not so fond farewell.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From Death Note, Light goes crazy with his new hobby. And I do mean crazy:

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I possibly have another character to add to the list. I hadn't thought about her before. Akira Ono, from Hi Score Girl, is quiet, withdrawn, and depressed. A miserable home life has forced her into her own little world of gaming. She isolates herself to the point where she doesn't even talk. But when Yaguchi Haruo accepts her as a rival, Akira finds someone to lean on for emotional support. She finally lets it all out in the heartbreaking good-bye scene:

But that's season one. I will be completing season two this week, and will post comments in the review section then.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

Define mentally ill. because Multiple personalities are characters...

When they Cry has a lot, but they have a disease...

And I'm pretty sure stalking is an actual sport

Does nymphomania count?

Remeber what benedict Cumberbatch said. Rality is not a video game. You can tell because no matter how many little white pills you swallow the ghosts still follow you everywhere

Last edited by Clayton_n; 06-09-2020 at 06:54 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I have never seen When They Cry, so it isn't on the list. I was talking about characters who were mentally ill, not the writers, animators, directors, and producers.

But seriously, from the clips I have seen, that is some sick sh-t.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Wuss.

I didn't even get to Deadman Wonderland yet

The beachball gy from Cowboy bebop

And I still am not sue what was going on with Big O...

Oh Haruko from FLCL

Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I forgot Deadman Wonderland. Then again, it never got its second season. I understand it got bad ratings in Japan.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

It did, but it's not out in English

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    It did, but it's not out in English
    What's not out in English? Deadman Wonderland? It does have an English dub. It's one and only season was on Cartoon Network's Toonami about two or three years back.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The show only covers the first 14 chapters of the 50+ chapter manga

The aunt from Black Butler who turned out to BE Jack the Ripper

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Speaking of Jack the Ripper, you reminded me of Fate/Apocrypha. That series' Jack was pretty crazy, too.

Junior Member MinervaWeeb is on a distinguished road MinervaWeeb's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2022 04:31 AM
    Threads

what is that?

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

What is what?

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Wouldn't it be easier to name characters who aren't crazy? The list would at least be shorter. Keep in mind in Anime Stalking people is a competitive sport.

Last edited by Clayton_n; 02-08-2022 at 06:03 PM.

Junior Member MikeTK is on a distinguished road MikeTK's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-15-2022 10:18 AM
    Threads

L from death note when he find he is defeated.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTK View Post
    L from death note when he find he is defeated.
    L was eccentric, but I would not call that mentally ill. I don't see it in his death scene either. His life does flash before his eyes, but that's not mentally ill.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information