AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Read any good books lately?

Junior Member Annie38 is on a distinguished road Annie38's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-16-2021 11:44 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Re: Read any good books lately?

I recently read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. This book made an incredible impression on me and amazed me to the core. I empathized very much with every oppressed woman in this novel. I advise you to read a few articles at https://studydriver.com/the-handmaids-tale-essay/ and make sure Handmaid's Tale is a masterpiece. I hate spoilers, so I'll say it briefly: the book shows the unique aspects of women living in Gilead. I am sure that The Handmaid's Tale will not leave you indifferent.
    Last edited by Annie38; 11-27-2020 at 08:34 PM.

Junior Member Allamande is on a distinguished road Allamande's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-26-2020 10:11 AM
    Threads

I'm re-reading Please Kill Me by Legs McNeil. After the advanced age of 30 I found out that punk, in particular anarcho-punk, has some relevant content.

The book is a series of interwoven and broken interviews with people from the first generation of punks, starting with Velvet Underground in 1964 and building up to and some British punks of 77-78. Legs interviewed these guys up to 1993, too bad he preferred following the same guys for 29 years instead of trying to interview some new blood. Grunge, the grandson of punk, is completely ignored.

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Annie38 View Post
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
    How do you like it?

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

I just read the entire Iron Druid series.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    Threads

I just finished a biography of photographer Dorothea Lange.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

Senior Member sirius707 can only hope to improve sirius707's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-13-2023 04:20 AM
    Threads

laws of human nature by Robert Greene.

great writer and easy introduction to Jungian psychology imho

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I am reading Baseball in the Garden of Eden, a history of the birth and early development of the game. There are lost of fascinating little details and where baseball came from, and information of the early pioneers, many of whom are forgotten.

7. Dislikes sirius707 disliked this post
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Robert Greene's Mastery is a must read imho. The book is structured in such a way that you're first presented with a story of a historical figure, a "master", then breaks it down to elements. not only does it teach you how organize your mind for accomplishing a task, it also teaches you how best to deal with hopeless people. for example arguing with especially dumb people or avoiding getting entangled in pointless drama.

9. Dislikes PictureGuy disliked this post
    Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I hear "Ready Player Two" is out.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Junior Member inupf is on a distinguished road inupf's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2021 11:53 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I got Lovecraft's collection on my iPad. Finished the "Call of Cthulhu".
    Now I wanna read the other tales, and eventually get "Rules of Prey" by Sandford.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Lovecraft did good work.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I just finished Baseball in the Garden of Eden, about the formation and early years of the game.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Thisby Thestoop isn't bad.

Personally I got romantic overtones with the princess...

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

stillness is the key, short but very packed.

tries to connect Stoicism with Eastern Philosophy like Buddhism and Confucianism.

16. Likes atlasmonk liked this post
    Senior Member Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts 007 - Squirtle 258 - Mudkip Gabumon
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 12:40 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

A Promised Land by President Barack Obama is pretty insightful, poignant, and an engrossing read. From what I've read, he's faced oppression and obstruction throughout his career. But good old President Obama stuck to his mission - to better America.

Cue the peanut gallery!!
    My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The third Fowl Twins novel.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I am reading a book on the writing of the Constitution which I was supposed to read for a college class, but didn't. It's a good book! I passed the course even though I did not read it at the time. Better late than never.

Senior Member Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I want to read The Christmas Pig but "You're a wizard, Harry" and that's more interesting.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Love the Elfhome series, but this last one... damn cliffhangers!

22. Likes Digimon_Sommelier liked this post
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Anybody read Tolkien? Had to pore over The Hobbit back in my college days.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Digimon__Sommelier View Post
    Anybody read Tolkien? Had to pore over The Hobbit back in my college days.
    I read "Bored of the Rings". i prefer parodies

Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I frequent a bookstore and mostly pore over manga. Usually stuff like Jujutsu Kaisen and Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information