AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Musical Anime

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-12-2024 01:59 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Musical Anime

What are some of your favorite musical anime series or movies? By that I mean, anime in which music is an essential part of the story. So this would actually exclude some good ones, such as Perfect Blue (about an ex-member of a girl group trying to change her image and become an actress; the movie focuses for a brief moment on the music, and then on the main character losing her mind), and Angel Beats (where music is an important part of the story of a supporting character, but secondary to the main plot).

Here is my list of favorites, in no particular order. Actually, these are all I can think of as I have not seen that many. But the ones I have seen, I like.

Carole and Tuesday. Two 17-year-olds of dissimilar backgrounds get together to make music. Going against all trends, they go pro. Season one is a feel good anime, while season two gets more dramatic.

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. Koyuki is a schoolboy with no direction in life, until he meets Ray, a Japanese-American, who gets Koyuki involved with his band. Through early struggles, Koyuki comes of age facing everything from bullying to first love.

Forrest of Piano. Talk of coming from the wrong side of the tracks, Kai is not only poor, but the son of a prostitute. He is also a musical prodigy, who grows to young manhood and the competitive stages of Europe.

Your Lie in April. This one is a real heartbreaker. Kousei is a former piano prodigy who now can't even hear his own music. He is brought back to the stage by a young violinist named Kaori. There is no happily-ever-after ending however.

Lost Song. Music can be used to heal or destroy. It is up to a poor peasant girl with the power of song to keep the later from happening.

Nana. Running for several seasons, yet never wearing itself out, this is the story of two girls who meet on a train and become friends. Both are named Nana. One wants to be a musician, which drives most of the story.

Your turn.

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

One thing so many of these series have is some nicely detailed animation of the musical performances. This from Forrest of Piano:

Feed your cat!

Senior Member Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Mario Ice Flower Gabumon 007 - Squirtle
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2024 10:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Takatofan1986

Default Re: Musical Anime

I really liked Gravitation's music. I don't know about the love story part of it (Because Yuki was an donkey) but the music was great, and I still listen to some of those songs.

La corda d'oro: primo passo and it's sequels were good, though I haven't watched them since they were new.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I don't know any of those. Please do tell more.

Feed your cat!

Senior Member Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Mario Ice Flower Gabumon 007 - Squirtle
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2024 10:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Takatofan1986

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    I don't know any of those. Please do tell more.

Gravitation is a 13 ep anime, and OVA, based on a popular manga. It has two main plot lines: The main character forming a band, and him falling in love with a male writer. Like I said, the love story isn't great because the other guy is a jerk, but the music is great, and the show is still really funny at times. But there's lots of great songs by their band, and a rival popular band.

A few of my favs:

La Corda d'oro Pirmo Passo is a story of a school where half of the students play instruments. But one that doesn't is given a magical violin. I don't remember it much, but I know I liked it, and it had several sequels.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I just thought of another one. In Aggrestsuko, cute little Retsuko lets of steam with karaoke death metal.

Retsuko is the under-30, single, working woman everyman trying to find her place in the world.
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 02-17-2020 at 11:11 PM.

Feed your cat!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The link to Forest of Piano is gone. So let me substitute this one:

Note the animation of Kai's hands and fingering on the piano.

Feed your cat!

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-11-2024 06:40 PM
    Threads

Nerima Daikon Brothers

Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Nerima Daikon Brothers
    What's it about?

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

The opening for Carole and Tuesday, season 2:

It pretty much gives you the feel of the series.

Feed your cat!

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

What's it about?[COLOR="Silver"]

It's basically a parody of the Blues Brothers where these three cousins have wacky adventures trying to build a stadium for them to sing their songs in.

The opening explains it in detail

Last edited by Clayton_n; 02-26-2020 at 05:14 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ It does look entertaining. I will keep an eye out for it.

Feed your cat!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From Your Lie in April:

Feed your cat!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From Nana:

Feed your cat!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Koyuki's moment from Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad:

Feed your cat!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Lost Song:

For some reason, no one has seen fit to post any scenes from the series on YouTube. All they post are just the audio with stills. And this self-made video by someone. It does just go on and on with the song repeating itself.

Sorry.
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 02-25-2020 at 04:16 PM.

Feed your cat!

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Pokemon Yugioh, and Tenchi all have good sound tracks.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Pokemon Yugioh, and Tenchi all have good sound tracks.
    But is music part of the story?

Feed your cat!

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

No.

Ah I know one. Magical Do Re Mi!

There's a band scene in Haruhi

Then there's a real life band based on anime called the Leet Street Boys

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I assume Magical Do Re Me is for ages 8 and younger.

Feed your cat!

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

This shouldn't be this hard. There are plenty of musical animes

Stuff based on pop idols

Karaoke

Or just musical numbers

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The original Little Nemo had no music:

Feed your cat!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Anybody here familiar with a musical anime series called K-On? The series and a movie are on Netflix streaming. Unless the license expires first, I will probably get to it sooner or later. I just want to know if I should get to it sooner.

Feed your cat!

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The original Little Nemo had no music:

The original Little nemo was a comic in the sunday paper decades before telvision was a thing.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ Yes, created by Winsor McCay. But we are talking here about animation, so I am talking about the original Little Nemo animated film.

Feed your cat!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I have a new entry for the musical anime sub-genre. It's called K-On, and it is somewhat reminiscent of Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. Only Beck is all guys, and K-On is about a girl band. And there is some dark drama in Beck, and K-On is a light comedy -- so far through the first four episodes. And K-On has no profanity -- so far.

But both are coming of age stories where the main characters find themselves through music. So yes, K-On is somewhat reminiscent of Beck.

Feed your cat!

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Have you ever watched the original Jem and the Holograms? They wee awesome and helped shape a lot of modern anime. basically they were a group of young women running their family's record company and orphanage. A shady business partner tried to screw them over and they find their dad's secret invention, an AI with holographic tech and music capabilities. So to save the company they form a rock band and one of them uses the holograms to become a new person, JEM. They went on a bunch of adventures and faced off with bad guys including rival bands (mostly the Misfits), smugglers, thieves, drug dealers, and evil DJs among others. And each episode had short but really good songs.

Recently there was a decent reboot comic.

Then they ripped off Hannah Montana and made an outrageously bad movie that tanked in about a week.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/hyKV...efault.0.0.jpg

Last edited by Clayton_n; 05-24-2021 at 03:18 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information