AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suicide in Anime

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Suicide in Anime

Suicide seems to be an all too often event in Japanese society. So it does not seem surprising when it finds its way into anime. I have too few examples to rank, but here are some of the most notable. SOME minor SPOILERS.

Paranoia Agent. There is one episode where an old man, a younger man, and a young girl enter into a suicide pack. Oddly, and darkly, it is the funniest episode in the series. Actually, it is the only funny episode. They fail in their attempts, but they do become the only ones to freak out Li’l Slugger.

Goku in Dragon Ball Z. Twice Goku gives his life to save others. The first time really does not count as a suicide because he expects to get revived with the Dragon Balls. But the second time, Goku blows himself up trying to take Cell with him, thinking that this time he won’t come back. Apparently Goku did not watch enough anime. Anyway, it’s an heroic death, but it is still a suicide – technically.

Homura in Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion. I know many are going to say, “What the hell are you talking about? When did Homura commit suicide? Apparently you did not watch the post-credits sequence, or you did not watch closely. After the credits run, we see Homura and Kyubey. We don’t get a look at what happens next, only the aftermath of their confrontation. Homura apparently finally destroys Kyubey as she is doing a victory dance around his mangled body. Next, Homura goes to the edge of the precipice they were fighting on, and she leaps to the ground below. Or does she? Look again. She does not leap. She leans forward and lets herself fall headfirst. Even a magical girl cannot survive a broken neck.

Chisa from Lain. Chisa is a minor character who is only seen in two scenes. But she opens the series by jumping off a building to her bloody death below. That is the catalyst which sets the story in motion. Actually, the catalyst is the e-mail from Chisa from beyond the grave, which Lain answers.

Misa from Death Note. Misa seems to be the sole survivor, but without Light and without her Shinigami, Misa is all alone in the world. She takes care of that problem by jumping off a building at the end. True you don’t see her jump, but it is certainly implied. Many Misa fans however insist she does not die. So what is she doing climbing on that building?

When They Cry. I don’t know the name of the character. I never watched the series, but I have seen clips. This one clip had this girl intentionally bang her head against a sharp knife so that the series villainess does not kill her. Brutal..
    So you got any examples?

Note: I do not recommend suicide for anyone. Get help.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

🐮🔪 "I'll see it when I believe it" 🐮🔪 ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Cookie Cookie Hedgehog
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-16-2023 02:57 PM
    The corner of Everywhere and Nowhere, ya dig?
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: TwilightWolf2508 Steam ID: zombiewolf2508

Default Re: Suicide in Anime

Another- Terrified and completely gone with everything that's going on, the teacher violently stabs himself in the throat with a large kitchen knife in front of his class.

Re:Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu- After finally managing to save his own life, one of his dear friends dies in his place. After running away and wallowing in his own self-pity for a bit, he finally realizes what he has to do to save everyone, and eagerly dives off of a cliff to activate his Return By Death. Not a permanent death, but pretty notable and easily the most glorified I've ever seen, complete with a great ost.

I'm sure I've seen more, but these two definitely come to mind immediately for me.

My mood on a daily basis

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

One of the best scenes in Durarara! was the suicide attempts in one of the opening episodes.

I recently published something along these lines actually https://www.amazon.com/Suicide-Pact-.../dp/1695679512

Tell me what you think
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    One of the best scenes in Durarara! was the suicide attempts in one of the opening episodes.
    I thought about that scene, but the girl did not quite finish it. This isn't the original English dub, but it is the only video I could find of that scene:

Actually, I think it is from Durarara!!X2.

BTW, love your new avatar.

---------- Post added 02-02-2020 at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-01-2020 at 06:42 PM ----------

Homura's fate:

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Chisa may just be a minor character, but as I said, she gets the ball rolling in Lain.

And that is how the series opens.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

SPOILER HERE. The final scene in Death Note has Mesa going to meet her fate. I think this clip cuts out something though. As I recall, we do not see her jump, but there is a shot or something at the edge of the roof where we do not see Mesa. She's on her way down.

Another version, which by my memory does not show everything. Maybe a few seconds at the end are cut. But I don't remember the song.

Leaping off buildings seems to be popular.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    I thought about that scene, but the girl did not quite finish it. This isn't the original English dub, but it is the only video I could find of that scene:

Actually, I think it is from Durarara!!X2.

BTW, love your new avatar.

---------- Post added 02-02-2020 at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-01-2020 at 06:42 PM ----------

Homura's fate:
    Hey, she jumped. And it was the original Durarara.

A lot of people in anime try to kill themselves and get saved. Look at DBZ or Yu Yu Hakusho. I blame the Grim Reaper's revolving door policy.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Hey, she jumped. And it was the original Durarara.
    I seem to recall the scene being repeated in X2.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Could be. Can't seem to find that DVD yet... mostly I just read about it on Wikia

In When they Cry Rika killed herself

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

There was quite a break for me between watching Durarara and DurararaX2. Maybe the scene was in the first series and then repeated in the second. I seem to remember in X2 some sort of strange reference which made me think that. But it has been a while since I watched X2.

The scene from When They Cry is just sick. But effective!

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

A Silent Voice had a suicide attempt

Goku and half other DBZ characters kill themselves.

Last edited by Clayton_n; 02-13-2020 at 08:12 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ The girl is about to jump, and he stops to take his shoes off?

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Japan man.

Member Monox D. I-Fly is an unknown quantity at this point Monox D. I-Fly's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2021 10:41 PM
    Threads

Most of Akatsuki members in Naruto died by suicide, also Hiruzen and Danzou.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information