AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Peaceful Protests or Violent Protests?

Senior Member Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts 007 - Squirtle 258 - Mudkip Gabumon
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-11-2024 08:40 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Peaceful Protests or Violent Protests?

I've participated in peaceful demonstrations for a good chunk of my life (Sean Bell Protest, Occupy Wall Street, etc.) and I have no regrets. I am a non-violent activist, who believes that change can come with a gentle approach, as opposed to physical acts to fix "the system." But what about you?

Q: Do you prefer peaceful protests or violent protests?
    My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .

Senior Member Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Mario Ice Flower Gabumon 007 - Squirtle
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2024 10:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Takatofan1986

Default Re: Peaceful Protests or Violent Protests?

The gun rally in VA is the best. Everyone showed up, peacefully protested, they had their guns but no one was shot, and they cleaned up after themselves. Proof that legal gun owners (in general) aren't the problem.
    Last edited by Takatofan1986; 01-23-2020 at 11:42 AM.

They should have named it Doom4 or something DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Gifts Binoculars Kawaiislice Medkit
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2023 04:46 AM
    Threads

I like what the french have been doing around here lately. Last time i went to Paris, they were showing off the cops well.

It's never safe to turn off your computer - Silent Strike

Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2020 04:24 PM
    Threads

I don't have a particular lean towards peaceful or violent protests, although I certainly think that violent protests are less effective than the former in the modern world, and just give authorities an excuse to eradicate protests altogether. Ultimately though, I'm not convinced that protests, peaceful or violent resolve anything to a meaningful extent. If people are opposed to something imposed by some entity (say the state or a powerful corporation) then I think they should not comply in a manner that enables that entity to keep doing what it does. For example, people should refuse to pay tax for a war they didn't vote for. Sure that might imply breaking the law, but just because something is lawful, even constitutional, that doesn't automatically make it right. Slavery anyone?

Here's the thing though: authorities tend to respond to protests only if they have real consequences for them if they don't, and usually in economic terms. Do you think slavery was abolished because those who endorsed it suddenly gained empathy? No, it's because slavery was no longer viable as an economic tool once enough consumers refused to buy products manufactured under that practice. Certain practices pertaining to animal cruelty were abolished in protesting countries for the same reason. Conversely there is no point in protesting against something if you're enabling it by other means. Don't agree with the unethical work practices at Amazon? Then enough people need to stop buying products from Amazon - and even better, no-one has to wave a banner and brave the elements for that. Either Amazon will learn to treat it's workers as human beings, or risk going out of business. Otherwise people can keep protesting against Amazon until the cows come home.

And while I certainly don't condone violent protests, I cannot entirely condemn them either as their justification depends on context. Historically people have been forced to break the law and engage in violent protests in order to bring about the positive changes that we take for granted today. The sad truth is, protests that significantly changed the world for the better were violent because authorities simply ignored them while they were initially peaceful. And why wouldn't they since there was no consequence for doing so? So while many violent protests may be considered unnecessary, and rightly so, others are simply born out of frustration due a lack of options. The bottom line is, protests, violent or peaceful tend to resolve very little unless they threaten real and economic consequences on those to which they're directed.
    Last edited by .:neuko:.; 03-30-2020 at 09:55 PM.

Junior Member Saspens is on a distinguished road Saspens's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2020 02:06 AM
    Threads

I think that peaceful protests are good in 90% of cases. They make it possible to achieve the desired simply. Only violent will help in 10%, but the price and effect may not correspond to each other. And the support of people is most often on the side of non-violent protests. No one likes radicals.

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

I believe that the times/conditions make the decision for the response.

A well planned rally can go well and may do something. One that isn't fully thought out can be turned against itself.

Peaceful is always the better option, but sometimes Peaceful doesn't do enough. Some violence is required at times. Consider what the LA Riots in the 90's lead to with changes in how the LAPD procedures. Or the Buddhist monks that committed suicide during the Vietnam War via Self-Immolation by burning themselves alive in protest to the oppression.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information