Netflix streaming has two seasons of Record of Grancrest War, for a total of 24 episodes. I made it through a third of those. No more.

It starts off with a pretty good premise. Siluca is a female mage about to enter into a contract with a prestigious nobleman, until she meets Theo, a commoner in whom she sees quite a bit of potential. Under Siluca’s guidance, Theo becomes a force to be reckoned with in this feudal society of war and magic. But all Theo really wants is to return to his home and free it from the demons.

So far so good. But it does not take long for this series to get entrenched with uncountable sub-plots involving political rivalries and alliances. Politics takes over, and while I do like stories of political intrigue, Record of Grancrest War gets too bogged down in a cross-telling of way too many stories to keep up with. The series should come with a score book and program to help the viewer keep up. So in between all those bloody battle scenes, we get bored by meetings, conferences, and the usual backroom dealings which really do not make for great entertainment when done to the extreme.

The artwork is fine, but the animation is pretty routine. There is an overuse of still shots in which three is no movement whatsoever. I got to the point where I asked myself, “Why am I watching this?” It was time to stop.