AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: All Alone With You (question)

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-08-2022 08:50 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Default All Alone With You (question)

https://www.animelyrics.com/anime/psychopass/ppaawy.htm

I was reading Ayu Ohseki's translation of AAWY to check whether I had understood it properly and I ran into a difference where I couldn't tell if was an interpretation thing or if I was just wrong. I was hoping for someone else's opinion:

The verse is as follows:
    神さま気取りの人が言うの
    ねえ 人は強いって
    そんなの嘘だよ
    Do you agree?

Now, when I read it initially, I assumed the quote of what 気取りの人 say was "人は強い" and the singer was refusing to believe them in the next line. However, when I read Ayu Ohseki's translation, which suggests 気取りの人 say is "ねえ 人は強いって そんなの嘘だよ" instead so it is them who are refusing the claim.

To make this clear this is what Ayu Ohseki's said:
    Lord in Heaven, pretentious people say "Hey, it's a total lie that people are strong".
    Do you agree?

And what I thought it was before I read the lyrics was
    Lord in Heaven, pretentious people say "People are strong".
    Hey, that's a total lie (i.e. the pretentious people are wrong)
    Do you agree?

Is it clear which is being refused as a lie between the claim (人は強い) or the people saying it (気取りの人)? I'd like to think the ねえ before it has some role in the answer, but I can't tell if it's meant to be connected with the 人は強いって そんなの嘘だよ (so it's the 気取りの人 seeking affirmation with the ねえ), or it's the singer saying seeing affirmation that the claim of 人は強い is a lie. I think as well the space has something to do with it but the purpose of spaces in lyrics is very inconsistent.
    Last edited by Fuukanou; 12-09-2019 at 11:21 PM.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Haze~ has a reputation beyond repute Haze~ has a reputation beyond repute Haze~ has a reputation beyond repute Haze~ has a reputation beyond repute Haze~ has a reputation beyond repute Haze~ has a reputation beyond repute Haze~ has a reputation beyond repute Haze~ has a reputation beyond repute Haze~ has a reputation beyond repute Haze~ has a reputation beyond repute Haze~ has a reputation beyond repute Haze~'s Avatar
    Gil
    Asleep
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2021 03:52 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Re: All Alone With You (question)

Ohh, I remember translating this song a while back for myself because I wanted to understand it better. I think my interpretation for this stanza was something along the lines of:

[Oh, God, pretentious people have this saying...
    Hey, it’s a complete lie
    That, "people are strong.”
    Do you agree?] ("this saying" being「人は強い」)

The construction here is definitely a bit misleading, so I can see where the translation on the site is coming from treating everything that comes after 「言うの」as a quote from said "pretentious people", but if you think about it, saying 「人は強い」IS what makes these people pretentious (and she's saying that phrase is a lie and asks God if he agrees).
    So I personally agree with you and think the way you have it is right. :p

Hope this helped!
    Last edited by Haze~; 12-10-2019 at 04:38 AM.

3. Thanks Fuukanou thanked for this post
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-08-2022 08:50 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Haze~ View Post
    if you think about it, saying 「人は強い」IS what makes these people pretentious (and she's saying that phrase is a lie and asks God if he agrees).

Thanks, I hadn't considered that way of thinking about it.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Akiosama is on a distinguished road Akiosama's Avatar
    Gil
    Sick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-15-2020 02:06 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I would also support the analysis that you and Haze have done as って is often used like と as the indicator of a quote. It also fits the construction slightly better as 人は強い is a more of a full sentence. If I reverse translated Ayu Ohseki's version, it would probably use 強い人 instead of 人は強い and not use そんなの which is a reference to the quote as an idea.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information