AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Top 10 Slice of Life Anime

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Lightbulb My Top 10 Slice of Life Anime

I am here to post my Top 10 Slice of Life anime series/movies. The list will probably change as I write it out. And practically all on this list are multiple-genres. So some of these are romantic, some are coming of age, some are sports, and some are combos of three or more. No matter. They all give us a slice of life.

In reverse order:

10. Big Windup! This is a slice of the life of Ren, star pitcher of his high school baseball team which always loses. Of course Ren gets the blame, even if baseball is a team sport. Ren gives up the game, until he gets to a new school with a new coach and a new catcher who both believe in him and his control. I only have seen season one.

9. Forest of Piano. I just finished season 2, which does not stack up to season 1. Otherwise it would be higher on my list. Shuuhi, the son of a renowned pianist, and Kai, the son of a prostitute, meet and become friends over their love of music. The series takes us through their childhood until young adulthood when the two become rivals in a major world piano competition.

8. Hi Score Girl. Haruo is a high school kid who is only good at one thing – video games. He meets Akira, a quiet rich girl from his school, who is every bit the player that Haruo is and becomes his rival. But Akira is actually quite fragile, with an unhappy home life. She begins to rely on Haruo for emotional support after he befriends her. Then there is Koharu, who is in love with the clueless Haruo and becomes determined to become his equal in the game room if just to get his attention. A slice of life, plus coming-of-age.

7. Only Yesterday. This film took a while to get to the US. Disney owns the American distribution rights to Studio Ghibli films, and the contract forbids Disney from cutting or re-editing the movie. So when Disney objected to scenes referencing menstruation, they shelved the film. But it was worth the wait. A young woman reaching a cross-road in life reminisces about her childhood as she decides which road to take.

6. Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. A slice of life with a side order of coming-of-age. Koyuki is a nice kid, but has no direction or purpose in life, until he meets up with a Japanese-American musician named Ray. With music giving him a purpose, Koyuki redirects his life while dealing with school bullies and a first love.

5. March Comes in Like a Lion. Basically a sports anime centered around a Japanese version of chess called shogi, we get here a slice of the life of Rei and his friends. Things are not easy for Rei trying to find his place in life. So this is not only a sports anime, but a coming-of-age anime as well as a slice of life. Three sub-genres in one!

4. Silver Spoon. Yugo is another teen trying to find his way in the world. This leads him to enroll in an agricultural high school, despite being a complete city kid. The series gets into the trials, hopes, and dreams of his classmates. We get many slices of life.

3. Nana. Finally we get to a series which is not also a teen coming-of-age tale. Two girls named Nana meet and become roommates. One is a rock star hopeful, and the other a small town girl trying to find some place for herself in the world. Various relationships develop within their day-to-day experiences, and some not so pleasant. Small town Nana makes some pretty bad life choices, disrupting more than her own life.

2. Grave of the Fireflies. This is an historic slice of life set in Japan during World War II. No question this is the darkest film ever to come out of Studio Ghibli. Teenaged Seita must care for his little sister after they a left alone in the world. The film details their daily struggles in this tragic slice of life anime.

1. Your Lie in April. Another sad story, but this one with some hope. Here again are the daily lives of high school students. Primarily the story deals with Arima and his efforts to regain his musical inspiration inspired by a young violinist named Kaori. Again we deal with multiple sub-genres.

OK. Your turn. What are your favorites?

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

Senior Member Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Mario Ice Flower Gabumon 007 - Squirtle
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2024 10:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Takatofan1986

Default Re: My Top 10 Slice of Life Anime

I'll have to check some of these out! Thanks!

I might make a list later, but I have a harder time with labels in anime, what the genre is. I only have one anime that jumps out at me as slice of life. The rest, kind of, but there are other themes too. Such as, you mentioned Big Wind Up, to me, while that is slice of life I think of it more being themed in sports. - please understand I am not saying you are wrong, I'm saying I just have a hard time saying what's what. I might just cheat and look at what Anime News Network says (out of the shows I'm thinking of.)

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Big Windup is a sports anime, coming of age anime, and a slice of life. Most of these are multiple sub-genres.

One other I thought of which could be on the list is Stepped Up Love Story. A guy and a girl, both in their late 20's, get married. Both are virgins with no real knowledge of sex -- other than what you learn in health class. But they have friends who give them advice. Eventually our couple become mentors to younger couples. Yes, it is soft core hentai, but it is also a sweet story of two people in love.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

It's been too quiet lately. So unable to come up with new ideas, I am reviving an old thread.

I didn't post videos of the anime on this list? I'll take care of that starting tomorrow.

In the meantime, I will just add to the list the movie Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop. I just posted about it in the review section: https://www.animeforum.com/showthrea...Soda-Pop-(2020)

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Getting back to this old thread which I started, then ignored.

Coming of age on the baseball diamond. From Big Windup:

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

In Forest of Piano, a son of a prostitute comes of age through his natural talent for music.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Hi Score Girl has made many of my lists. It's also a good slice of live, young love story.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Only Yesterday is one of the best slice of life anime movies I have seen. A 27-year-old woman must find the courage to change her life.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

I'm not 100% sure what qualifies as a "Slice of Life" anime.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    I'm not 100% sure what qualifies as a "Slice of Life" anime.
    Anything that shows the life of a normal, average person. Although in anime you may have to give the words normal and average a broad definition if you are going to include anything.

Example: Beck (Mongolian Chop Squad) is about a kid searching for meaning and purpose in his life, and finds it in music.

It was the next on my list.

Warning! Don't watch the English only dub. It makes no sense when the characters go from Japanese to English, or when one character says in English that he doesn't understand English. Watch the original dub.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Uh, average? Not sure thata pplies to any anime character. https://www.amazon.com/How-Anime-Cha.../dp/1441451803

I guess...

Durarara

Strawberry Panic

Bamboo Blade

Summer Wars

Genshiken

Welcome to the NHK...

Really not seeing any of them as "Average". Probably wouldn't watch if they were...

Can you be more specific because I'm picturing space aliens, ghosts, demons, gods... weirdoes...
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Can you be more specific because I'm picturing space aliens, ghosts, demons, gods... weirdoes...
    Let's say any anime about every day life, which does not include space aliens, ghosts, demons, or gods. It depends on the weirdo.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

School Rumble

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From March Comes in Like a Lion, shogi protégé Rei tries to cope with the pressures of professional competition when he is befriended by three sisiters.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From Silver Spoon, a slice of life includes the first taste of a slice of non-frozen, non-store brought pizza to a group of farm kids.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Nana gives us a slice of life where things don't always go smoothly among friends:

I've been having a hard time coming up with new ideas for a thread, but I just thought of one somewhat related to this thread. I'm working on it, so keep tuned.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Grave of the Fireflies is a slice of the lives of two war orphans. It has to be the most depressing anime, and one of the strongest anti-war films, ever made.

I will try to get to a new thread tomorrow.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Let me wrap this thread up, and tomorrow I will get back to the Everyman thread.

Your Lie in April is another slice of life anime tragedy.

Some forces are too great for love to conquer. We find that out in the end.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information