AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "なんたてったって"

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2020 10:24 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xenographer Steam ID: xen0glossy

Default "なんたてったって"

So I'm translating Placebo by Hachiya Nanashi (https://www5.atwiki.jp/hmiku/pages/38957.html) and I'm hung up on the following bit:

汚れた目がなんたてったって
    とうにどうも救われてる
    あり得ない奇跡が起こってる
    栄光と希望のビジネスモデル
    引っ張っていってよ未来に

Specifically on the "なんたてったって" part--I can't quite parse it, and it doesn't seem to be used anywhere but this song. The existing translation (https://releska.com/2019/05/06/placebo/) seems to interpret it as something in the vicinity of "何かと言っている", but I can't quite make that work? If the verb is 言う, I feel like it would have to be 言ったって, but if that were the case there would be no reason for it not to just be なんたって? And I tried looking at it with the assumption that it was just a weird version of なんたって, but I can't quite make that make sense to me either. What do you guys think?

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    bambooXZX will become famous soon enough bambooXZX's Avatar
    Gil
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-18-2023 04:37 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Re: "なんたてったって"

seems like a typo of なんてったって - that's what the vocals sound like to me, and other covers on nico/youtube suggest people generally take it as such

Sltnal is a splendid one to behold Sltnal is a splendid one to behold Sltnal is a splendid one to behold Sltnal is a splendid one to behold Sltnal is a splendid one to behold Sltnal is a splendid one to behold Sltnal is a splendid one to behold Sltnal's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Reflecting Telescope Hattori Hanzo Steel Bleach Ichigo Mask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2019 09:33 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I would translate this part "汚れた目がなんたてったって"
    to "With your dirty eyes, what did you say", how? make any sense.

I believe 何と言って & 何たって are translated to no matter what or what to say.
    But I agree with you about it so I think なんたてったって kinda hard to translate in English.
    don't sign any...

Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Mic Dr Who Tardis Guy Fawkes Mask
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2020 12:43 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Senevir PSN ID: Senevir Steam ID: Senevir

For the record, I also hear "なんてったって", so I would take it to mean that. Even then, it is a little awkward to word.
    I take the sentence to mean something like "With those filthy eyes...", but maybe you can go off on your own a little with this sentence.
    I've only really taken a look at the initial paragraph, but you might get away with interpreting it as "Those defiant eyes..." or something like that and tacking something appropriate onto the end. I feel as though using the word "defiant" portrays some of the feelings in "なんてったって", but the sentence is incomplete as is. I'd have it flow with the lines that come after. Eyes that are seeing something more than what is simply there.
    Sometimes, things just don't translate over well. Don't get yourself too hung up on it, though I'm not one to talk. =x
    Last edited by Hikarin; 06-02-2019 at 03:15 AM.

Come and join me in FFXIV.
    Gaia Data Centre (Valefor) ~ Senevir Vae'talhrin | Chaos Data Centre (Omega) ~ Myrrh'a Afhkaar
    Elemental Data Centre (Atomos) ~ Kharsarnai Khrui | Mana Data Centre (Masamune) ~ Gakuto Ren

Have a lyrics request? Feel free to ask. Specialty - Vocaloid and other doujin music.
    Subject to availability.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

I totally thought I replied to this thread, oops. Anyway, thank you, @bambooXZX and @Hikarin , that's a huge help. I have to confess that my auditory processing is kind of wonky at the best of times (yes, this makes transliterating kind of a pain), and I have a particularly hard time making out what Vocaloids are saying (yes, this makes transliterating Vocaloid songs a huge pain), so I completely did not notice that they were saying something other than what was written.

Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Mic Dr Who Tardis Guy Fawkes Mask
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2020 12:43 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Senevir PSN ID: Senevir Steam ID: Senevir

I always listen back to songs that I've transliterated for this very reason. Especially if they're a doujin song, which have a MASSIVE chance of having typos or even worse... an earlier version of the lyrics. O_O
    I have over 1000 albums now... It really is very common. You have no idea.

It's easy not to notice, though. This is why I never translate by ear except to fill in lines.
    If I can't pick up every word in an English song, I'm not going to pick it up in Japanese. ^_^;
    I feel you. w(_ _)w

Come and join me in FFXIV.
    Gaia Data Centre (Valefor) ~ Senevir Vae'talhrin | Chaos Data Centre (Omega) ~ Myrrh'a Afhkaar
    Elemental Data Centre (Atomos) ~ Kharsarnai Khrui | Mana Data Centre (Masamune) ~ Gakuto Ren

Have a lyrics request? Feel free to ask. Specialty - Vocaloid and other doujin music.
    Subject to availability.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Yeah, once I do the translit I try to go through and listen to the song at least once while reading through the translit to catch stuff like this, but as you can see, I still miss things.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information