AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Technology: Pros and Cons (Debate)

Senior Member Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts 007 - Squirtle 258 - Mudkip Gabumon
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 12:40 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Technology: Pros and Cons (Debate)

Most people use technology every day, every hour, every minute, every second. It's almost inescapable, especially with social media being all the rage. So here's my question:

Q: What are the pros and cons of technology? Also, will technology help us long-term or will it eventually destroy the human race?

I see robots!!
    My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .

2. Likes Takatofan1986 liked this post
    Reservoir n00b Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Floppy Fox 149 - Dragonite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-23-2019 10:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: xtycke

Default Re: Technology: Pros and Cons (Debate)

Pros:
    -Keeps people/the world connected
    -Anonymity allows people to speak their minds in ways that may not be socially acceptable
    -Provides a wealth of information
    -Efficient/time saving
    -Entertaining

Cons
    -Connections to others can feel artificial
    -Anonymity allows the worst of us to be unleashed with few repercussions
    -Also used to spread misinformation
    -Replaces humans/living things to some extent
    -Addicting

I think technology will help us long-term. Humans are resilient and always adapting. I think we'll lose some people to technology, we already have, but I think we've always pushed the boundaries and are better for it. I can imagine what it might have felt like when the idea that the world is round came along - surely there were people who thought those sailors were sailing off to certain death, and indeed some did die, but those who lived found new lands to explore. I think that's what future technology will be like... but in space!

4. Likes DOOM!, Immoral, Takatofan1986, Sltnal liked this post
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Sltnal is a splendid one to behold Sltnal is a splendid one to behold Sltnal is a splendid one to behold Sltnal is a splendid one to behold Sltnal is a splendid one to behold Sltnal is a splendid one to behold Sltnal is a splendid one to behold Sltnal's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Reflecting Telescope Hattori Hanzo Steel Bleach Ichigo Mask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2019 09:33 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I'm afraid since technology is a double-edged sword.
    don't sign any...

6. Likes Takatofan1986 liked this post
    Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2020 04:24 PM
    Threads

I see technology as more of a tool: in the right hands it can be a force for good and ultimately helpful to the human race; in the wrong hands it can used as a weapon against said race. As I see it then, the pros and cons of a technology therefore largely depends on who is using it and for what purpose rather than the technology itself. Just be clear, I've nothing against the idea of inventing technology to advance ourselves but it could prove very dangerous if we end up so dependant upon it that in the wrong hands it could be used against us and effectively strip our basic rights or turn us into slaves. What really baffles me is how we have all this technology and yet somehow, there are still too many people who go for days without food, a home, access to basic health services and so on and ironically the main barrier for them is seemingly technology. I say "seemingly" because in truth, that which is driving that technology is ultimately responsible for these unnecessary realities.

Technology has allowed us to live longer, eat healthier, drink clean water, minimise poverty, eradicate diseases, reduce physical labour and countless other things. Unfortunately the opposite to the aforementioned is also true because of technology, and the net effect is that rather than advancing as a species as a whole, we are basically increasing the floor and ceiling of our well-being and becoming more divided as result. I truly believe we've got to a point where where we're simply inventing technology because we can rather than because we should, and along with complacency, vanity and greed it will eventually contribute to our downfall in this age of decadence if we do not care for who is ultimately controlling it. And we're not I'm afraid - instead, we seem to be more concerned with how many likes we receive on Facebook per day by people (or possibly algorithms) we've never met.

So yeah, all in all I don't see technology in terms of pros and cons really, but I do think that for the most part, our attitude to it is certainly unhealthy and needs to change before it is too late.
    Last edited by .:neuko:.; 06-04-2019 at 10:10 AM.

8. Likes DOOM!, Immoral, Tycke, Sltnal, Takatofan1986 liked this post
    Senior Member Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Mario Ice Flower Gabumon 007 - Squirtle
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2024 10:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Takatofan1986

It's funny, RIGHT before I saw this topic (I don't know how I missed it yesterday) I was thinking randomly about movies like I, Robot, Eagle Eye, and most notably The Orville where

(Spoilers)

an entire planet that built robots and AI grew so strong that they killed their entire race to over take them...

What if AI is taking all this media in and we are giving them ideas? :o

You may think I'm being too paranoid, and MAYBE I am, but, what about the two AI's that facebook made that started talking to each other in their own language? O_O. I dunno...

Technology does a lot of good, but as stated here, it does a lot of bad too. It's scary. I don't know where I'd be without technology (In a good way) but then, it pulls you away from people.

I miss the good old days that no one had cell phones - OR, the very early days of Cell Phones where, they were for emergencies only.

I could go on but my points have all been said already.

(...If there were artificial intelligence why couldn't they be Digimon?? ... )

10. Likes Digimon_Sommelier, Tycke, Sltnal liked this post
    Senior Member Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts 007 - Squirtle 258 - Mudkip Gabumon
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 12:40 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Takatofan1986 View Post
    (...If there were artificial intelligence why couldn't they be Digimon?? ... )
    See Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters. lol
    My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .

12. Likes Takatofan1986 liked this post
    Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    Threads

Have you noticed that as communication technology advances, communication skills decline? I have met many people who are tech savvy, yet can't write a simple, comprehensible sentence. Nor can they express an original idea.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

I for one welcome our AI overlords.

Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

15. Likes Tycke liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information